Wiki page for Academic Jobs in Philosophy advertised during the 2020-2021 hiring season.
Please note that many philosophy jobs tend to be posted on PhilJobs.
Instructions[edit | edit source]
Please add jobs in the following format and order them alphabetically by institution.
- Example University (State/Province, Country). Position Title. Specializations. Deadline. TT/NT. FT/PT. Link to Job ad(s). Updates:
TT/NT: Tenure-track or Non-tenure track.
FT/PT: Full-Time or Part-Time
For the sake of user-friendliness, please do not add more detailed content of the job ad on this page. (This is a departure from previous years, when these pages tended to become difficult to navigate. The new guidelines are modeled on more user-friendly Academic Wiki pages serving other disciplines.)
Add updates to the end of each entry as they come in: Additional materials requested, video interview scheduled, campus visit scheduled, offer extended, offer accepted, rejection received.
Please post "Have you heard?" questions below, under Word on the Street.
Please contribute to transparency in the academy by adding yourself and your advisors to the Literature Tree project.
RECENT ACTIVITY on Philosophy 2020-2021 Wiki[edit | edit source]
2021/05/18 22:25- Paul Carron -
- Jobs with 2021 Application Deadlines ← Older revision Revision as of 22:25, 18 May 2021 Line 47: Line 47: <br /> <br /> + # '''Baylor University (Waco...
2021/05/04 18:42- Cuhumanities -
- Jobs with 2021 Application Deadlines ← Older revision Revision as of 18:42, 4 May 2021 Line 50: Line 50: #'''Bard College (Annandale-on-Hudson, NY)'''. Assistant Professor. AOS Open but...
2021/04/27 15:40- Cuhumanities -
- Jobs with 2021 Application Deadlines ← Older revision Revision as of 15:40, 27 April 2021 Line 49: Line 49: # '''George Mason University (Fairfax, VA)'''. Assistant or Associate Professo...
2021/03/11 22:52- 22.214.171.124 -
- ← Older revision Revision as of 22:52, 11 March 2021 Line 41: Line 41: #'''University of Washington (Seattle, WA, USA)'''. Assistant or Associate Professor in Bioethics and Humanities. D...
2021/03/04 06:23- 126.96.36.199 -
- ← Older revision Revision as of 06:23, 4 March 2021 Line 38: Line 38: #'''University of Houston (Houston, TX, USA).''' Assistant Professor of Philosophy. AOS open. Deadline: October 30,...
Subscribe to RSS Feed for This Page: https://academicjobs.wikia.org/wiki/Philosophy_2020-2021?feed=rss&action=history
View page history: https://academicjobs.wikia.org/wiki/Philosophy_2020-2021?action=history
Jobs with 2020 Application Deadlines[edit | edit source]
- Baylor University (Waco, TX, USA). Postdoctoral Research Associate. Moral Psychology. Deadline: December 1, 2020. NTT. FT. https://ejof.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX/job/10677 Updates:
- Brigham Young University (Provo, UT, USA). Assistant or Associate Professor of Philosophy. AOS open. Deadline: October 8, 2020. TT. FT. https://yjobs.byu.edu Updates: Rejection letters sent.
- Lawrence University of Wisconsin (WI, USA). Assistant Professor of Philosophy. Metaphysics. Deadline: December 1, 2020. TT. FT. http://lawrence.peopleadmin.com/postings/417. Updates: first-round interviews requested
- University of Geneva (Switzerland) Postdoc. Metaphysics, Language. Deadline: October 31, 2020. NT. FT. https://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind2010&L=PHILOS-L&P=R100649. Updates: offer accepted.
- University of Houston (Houston, TX, USA). Assistant Professor of Philosophy. AOS open. Deadline: October 30, 2020. TT. FT. https://philjobs.org/job/show/15974 Updates: Letters of recommendation requested.
- UNC Chapel Hill (Chapel Hill, NC, USA). Assistant Professor of Philosophy. AOS open. Deadline: November 21, 2020. TT. FT.
- University of Connecticut- Assistant Professor of Philosophy as part of Catalyzing Anti-Racist and Decolonial Futures cluster hire. TT. Deadline: December 15, 2020. https://www.theasa.net/jobs-opportunities/job-listings/assistant-professor-catalyzing-antiracist-decolonial-futures Updates: 3/3: Campus visits for all 4 visits held between 2/8 and 2/19. Has anyone heard any updates after campus visits?
- University of Washington (Seattle, WA, USA). Assistant or Associate Professor in Bioethics and Humanities. Deadline: October 1, 2020. TT. FT. https://apply.interfolio.com/73836. (Note: this is one of two similar postings; the other one is for Assistant Professor; see below.) Updates: Rejection letter sent
- University of Washington (Seattle, WA, USA). Assistant Professor in Bioethics and Humanities. Deadline: October 1, 2020. TT. FT. https://apply.interfolio.com/73837. (Note: this is one of two similar postings; the other one is for Assistant OR Associate Professor; see above.) Updates: Rejection letter sent (for Assistant Professor position) x3.
- University of Toronto (Toronto, ON, CA). Assistant Professor in Continental Philosophy. Deadline: November 16, 2020. TT. FT. https://careers.insidehighered.com/job/2029989/assistant-professor-continental-philosophy/. Updates: 12/03: Request for additional writing sample x3 Anyone heard anything? x2; 12/21: Interviews scheduled for end of feb x2 10/11 Any news?
- California State University (Fullerton, CA). Assistant Professor in History of Philosophy. Deadline: November 12, 2020. TT. FT. https://philjobs.org/job/show/15970?fbclid=IwAR2YBmOsJba1teVpySYg24nsTQhAmcRO2l6U-vNoy7Ms-HE484hg47zj8GY. Updates: 12/16: First-round interviews scheduled
Jobs with 2021 Application Deadlines[edit | edit source]
- Baylor University (Waco, TX). Temporary Full-time Lecturer in the Baylor Interdisciplinary Core. Teaching: 4/4. Interdisciplinary Studies. Teaching assignments could include courses within World Cultures, Natural World, Social World, and/or the World of Rhetoric sequences. Specialization in History and Philosophy of Science, Non-Western Philosophy, or Comparative Philosophy. Deadline: May 24th, 2021. Apply here: https://apply.interfolio.com/84176
- George Mason University (Fairfax, VA). Assistant or Associate Professor of Critical Race Studies. Deadline: January 5, 2021. https://jobs.gmu.edu/postings/49041 Updates:
- Bard College (Annandale-on-Hudson, NY). Assistant Professor. AOS Open but "particularly interested in candidates with teaching competence in one or more of the following areas: nineteenth- and twentieth-century Continental philosophy, non-Western philosophy, philosophy of race, feminist philosophy, philosophy of sex and gender, and environmental philosophy." Deadline: January 5, 2021. TT. FT. https://jobs.chronicle.com/job/302442/tenure-track-assistant-professor-of-philosophy-/ Updates: Any news? (1/15) Anyone have any word on this? (1/21) This is second- (or even third-) hand, but it was reported on The Philosopher's Cocoon job market reporting thread that Bard sent out first-round interview invitations about a week ago (Friday 1/15). If that is true, then I think if you haven't received an interview invitation by now, you're probably out of the running. Sucks to be us. (1/21)
- Western Connecticut State University (Danbury, CT). Macricostas Endowed Teaching Fellowship in Hellenic and Greek Studies. Deadline: Feb. 8, 2021. NT. PT. http://www.wcsu.edu/hr/wp-content/uploads/sites/57/2021/01/Philosophy_-Macricostas_Endowed_Teaching_Fellow_PA_0121.pdf Updates:
- Claflin University (Orangeburg, SC). Tenure-Track Assistant or Associate Professor of Philosophy and Religion. Department of Humanities seeks an innovative and visionary scholar with an active research and teaching agenda in ethics or philosophy, spirituality, religious studies, and theology. Desired further areas of research and/or teaching competency include the philosophy of race and gender, American and Africana/African-American studies, feminist philosophy, social justice, human rights and philosophy of law. The candidate’s research should be of interest to the wider campus and greater Orangeburg community. The department welcomes applicants pursuing interdisciplinary engagement and we are deeply interested in social justice, inter-religious and multi-faith dialogue and comparative projects. He/she will teach courses in these areas and provide guidance in developing the curriculum and departmental programs, advising students and other duties within the scope of this position. The successful candidate must possess experience in college level teaching and advising. The candidate must have earned either the Master of Divinity degree or The Master of Theological Studies along with the Ph.D or Th.D. in a relevant religious studies field from an accredited institution. Demonstrated experience in teaching philosophy and religion is required. Candidates with experience in the United Methodist Church are preferable. Please send a letter of application, a current curriculum vita, copies of transcripts of all graduate work, three current letters of recommendation and the addresses, telephone numbers and emails of at least five references. HR site: https://careers-claflin.icims.com/jobs/1140/assistant-associate-professor-of-philosophy-and-religion---%28ft183%29-tenure-track/job?mobile=true&width=300&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=-300&jun1offset=-240 ; Chronicle:https://jobs.chronicle.com/job/334037/assistant-associate-professor-of-philosophy-and-religion-ft183-/
Word on the Street[edit | edit source]
Looks like not many people are using the Wiki this year. There seems to be more activity here: https://philosopherscocoon.typepad.com/blog/2020/09/job-market-reporting-thread-2020-21-season.html
Imprecations[edit | edit source]
- Shit. I really thought I had a shot at that Tilburg job.