Main History page: History 2013-14
Last Year's Page: Open Field or Mixed Hire History Jobs 2012-13
When posting new jobs, please use Heading 2 for new categories, and Heading 3 for jobs.
Please add entries in alphabetical order. Note that "University of X" should be alphabetized by U as first sort, and X as second sort within the U listings.
- 1 Mixed Hire/Multiple Specialty
- 1.1 American University in Dubai - US, European & World [non-TT]
- 1.2 Arkansas State University - Heritage Studies [Assoc/Full]
- 1.3 Converse College (SC) - [Non-TT; VAP]
- 1.4 Edison State College (FL)
- 1.5 Greensboro College (NC) - History/History Education [Non-tt;VAP]
- 1.6 Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HK) - [Open rank]
- 1.7 Harvard University - Director of Studies, History and Literature [Non-TT]
- 1.8 Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) - History and Digital Humanities
- 1.9 Jackson State University (MS) - African, World Civ, Public
- 1.10 Liverpool John Moores University (UK) - European and/or International and/or Transnational
- 1.11 Middle Tennesse State University- History & Pedagogy [Asst/Assoc]
- 1.12 National Research University Higher School of Economics (Rus.)- [Multiple]
- 1.13 Nazarbayev University (Kazakhstan) - [Open rank] excl. Modern Europe & Soviet Union, multiple positions
- 1.14 Nottingham Trent University (UK) - International w/Chinese, Japanese, Indian or Sub-Saharan Africa
- 1.15 Ouachita Baptist University (AR)
- 1.16 Saint Mary's College of California - Visiting Faculty for Liberal Arts (All Disciplines, Non-TT)
- 1.17 Texas Lutheran University - non-Western history
- 1.18 Universiti Brunei Darussalam - Prof/Assoc Prof
- 1.19 Universiti Brunei Darussalam - Senior Lecturer/Associate Prof/Prof
- 1.20 University of Cambridge, Jesus College (UK)
- 1.21 University of Kent (UK) - Imperial History (1700-1950)
- 1.22 University of Macau - History of East-West Interactions [Open rank]
- 1.23 University of Nebraska - Lincoln - [Non-TT]
- 1.24 University of Richmond (VA)- [Asst/Assoc] Leadership Studies w/specialization in History
- 1.25 University of Swaziland (Swazi.) - [Open Rank]
- 1.26 University of Texas - Austin [Multiple & Tenured]
- 1.27 University of Westminster (UK)
- 1.28 University of the West Indies
- 1.29 Wingate University (NC) - History & Political Science
- 1.30 Yonsei University (Sth. Korea) [Multiple]
- 2 Ancient
- 3 Medieval/Early Modern History
- 4 Modern History
- 4.1 City University of New York (NY) - History of the Modern World
- 4.2 Loughborough University (UK)
- 4.3 Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum (Germ.) - Modern/Theory of History
- 4.4 Sheffield Hallam University (UK)- extra-European post-1800
- 4.5 University of Chester (UK)
- 4.6 University of Hertfordshire (UK) - 20thC, non-British [Senior Hire]
- 4.7 University of Portsmouth (UK) - Modern History & Heritage
- 4.8 University of Sheffield (UK) - Contemporary History
- 4.9 University of Winchester (UK) - Colonial & Postcolonial
- 4.10 University of Winchester (UK)
- 5 Open Field
Mixed Hire/Multiple Specialty[edit | edit source]
American University in Dubai - US, European & World [non-TT][edit | edit source]
- Non tenure track Assistant or Associate Professor of History, to begin Fall 2014
- "The specific area of specialization and primary teaching assignment will be in U.S, European and World History, with secondary capacity to teach World Cultures from an historical viewpoint. Only candidates with demonstrated qualifications in both areas will be considered for hire"
- "The successful candidate will have:Ph.D. in History or a related field from a Western accredited university at the time of appointment.;Previous teaching experience in a Western higher education system, with high ratings of teaching effectiveness; Evidence of scholarly activity or strong potential for scholarly contributions.; Excellent written and oral communication skills.;An ability to work collegially within a team of faculty members from diverse disciplines."
- "Interested applicants must submit the following requirements via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.Cover letter, Updated CV, Statement of teaching and research philosophy, Contact information of three (3) academic/professional references. Alternatively, applicants can submit their application materials to the following postal address: Faculty Recruitment, The American University in Dubai, P.O. Box 28282, Dubai, U.A.E."
- Deadline: Position open until filled [posted 17 Mar.]
Arkansas State University - Heritage Studies [Assoc/Full][edit | edit source]
- Tenure track Associate or Full Professor in Historic Preservation and Heritage Studies, to begin Fall 2014
- Position will be twelve months with teaching limited to the Heritage Studies Ph.D. Program coordinated with the public history track of the master's degree in history. Responsibilities assigned by the Director of Arkansas Heritage Sites such as grant writing, fundraising, and program planning as well as overseeing graduate assistantships and doctoral research, will be an extensive part of this professional appointment. Ph. D. in appropriate academic field required. Candidates should have experience initiating and leading historic preservation projects. Candidates who also have experience working with intangible cultural heritage in programs that support cultural conservation are especially encouraged to apply. A record of grant writing, academic publication, college-level teaching, community outreach, and public program management is expected
- "CV, letter of application and writing sample as the "other document" and the names and contact information of three references must be provided by attaching online. In addition, contact information for three references must be included with the online application. The reference will be sent an automated email for request of letter based on the information provided by the applicant on his/her online application...The position is housed on the Jonesboro campus. Visit https://jobs.astate.edu for detailed information and to apply for position F00029."
- Review begins: 15 Jan. 2014 and continue until position filled.
Converse College (SC) - [Non-TT; VAP][edit | edit source]
- One year Visiting Assistant Professorship in History
- "ABD required; Ph.D. strongly preferred. Teach eight courses, including first-year level European history survey, American history survey, and upper level/graduate dual enrollment course in candidate’s specialities in one or more of the following: European, Asian, African, or Latin American history. Documented evidence of teaching excellence required. A diverse faculty is essential to achieving academic excellence; thus, applications from candidates from all racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds strongly encouraged. Send letter of application w/teaching philosophy, cv, and references that speak to teaching performance to Human Resources, Converse College, 580 East Main Street Spartanburg, SC 29302."
- Position is contingent on expected funding.
- Review begins immediately [10 Feb] with hard deadline of 12 Mar. 2014
- Full-time Professor of History
- "Edison currently seeks a full-time Professor of History. Candidates with teaching experience and a doctoral degree in history are encouraged to apply. Candidates with academic expertise in Latino/Latina Studies are likewise encouraged to apply."
- Deadline: 15 Jan. 2013
- Aside from the school's website, does anyone know anything about this college and/or department? [2 Jan 2014]
- Yes, I visited a friend on campus who was in the nursing program. It is very much like a community college, both in appearance and function (relatively new, too - 1960s, and unfortunately designed as such), but offers some 4-yr degrees (I believe) - hence why the term "community" is no longer in the name. 1/9
- Any news on this one? [9 Feb]
Greensboro College (NC) - History/History Education [Non-tt;VAP][edit | edit source]
- VAP in History/Social Studies Education
- "MA in History required. Ph.D. in History or other field by August 2014 or ABD with completion by May 2015, preferred. Secondary teaching experience preferable. Teaching responsibilities will include Western Civilization I and II surveys, upper level courses in non-American history, a course in secondary social studies pedagogy, and supervision of field experiences and student teachers"
- " Interested applicants should mail or email a cover letter, statement of teaching philosophy noting potential new course offerings, c.v., and three letters of recommendation to Dr. Rich Mayes, Associate Dean of the Faculty, Greensboro College, 815 W. Market St., Greensboro, NC 27415, or to email@example.com."
- Deadline: 15 Nov. 2013
- NOTE: According to the ad linked to this post, this position is not TT, but a VAP.
- Any news?
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HK) - [Open rank][edit | edit source]
- Tenure track or teaching track faculty position in History to begin Fall 2014
- "Appointees will teach undergraduate courses in humanities for general education and the new undergraduate major program in Global China Studies offered by the School of Humanities and Social Science from Fall 2014. Where required, the successful applicants will also be involved in postgraduate teaching in the field of the applicant's specialty."
- "The area of specialty within the broadly-defined field of history is open, but those candidates with strength in history of science and technology, economic history, comparative history, social and cultural history, intellectual history, institutional history, military history, historical theories, or the application of digital technology in history like HGIS are particularly welcome to apply. While China is the focus area for our Global China studies program, our consideration will not be confined to China experts."
- "While fluency in English is expected for all, candidates specializing in China-related areas must have native-speaker proficiency in Chinese language"
- Review begins 1 Aug. 2013 and position remains open until filled
- The Committee on Degrees in History and Literature at Harvard University seeks a Director of Studies beginning July 1, 2014. A Ph.D. in history or literature, with strong interdisciplinary research and teaching credentials, is required, plus five to ten years experience in teaching and advising undergraduates and in curriculum planning and development. Administrative experience preferred.
- The Director manages the interdisciplinary undergraduate program, including approximately six fields, forty tutors, and over 150 concentrators; works with the Chair and Committee on Degrees on curricular initiatives, degree requirements, and long-range planning; coordinates student advising; and oversees the hiring and training of new tutors.
- In addition to the administrative responsibilities, the Director of Studies concurrently holds a half-time academic position as Lecturer. Both positions are for a renewable term of three years.
- Additional responsibilities and instructions for application can be found at http://academicpositions.harvard.edu/postings/4992.
- Deadline: 15 Nov. 2013
Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) - History and Digital Humanities[edit | edit source]
- See full post and updates at Non-Geographic/Methodologically Oriented (History) 2013-14
Jackson State University (MS) - African, World Civ, Public[edit | edit source]
- tenure track assistant professorship in History, to begin Aug. 2014
- PhD must be in hand at time of application
- Teaching Load: 9-12 credit hours/semester
- "Candidates must be willing to teach freshman survey and undergraduate courses that emphasize writing, speaking and use of technology as well as graduate-level courses. Preference will be given to candidates with five years of demonstrated excellence in teaching African history, world civilizations, public history; prior teaching experience, especially in an urban setting; proven or potential collegiality and citizenship in a department and a university; and potential for engaged academic scholarly work and grantsmanship"
- Submit a letter of interest, curriculum vitae listing qualifications and experience, sample course syllabi, evidence of teaching effectiveness, a writing sample, research agenda, academic transcripts, and three letters of professional references with names, email addresses, and telephone numbers, who may be contacted. Materials should be addressed to Dr. Mario Azevedo, Department Chair, and are to be submitted via on-line at https://jsums.peopleadmin.com/
- Review begins 3 Mar. with full consideration given to applications recieved before 17 Mar. 2014
Liverpool John Moores University (UK) - European and/or International and/or Transnational[edit | edit source]
- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer (tenured ~Asst/Assoc or Assoc/Full) in History
- "Applicants should have a good first degree and/or relevant experienced with a post-graduate qualification linked to history or a related area. This should be coupled with an appropriate level of teaching experience at degree level and a commitment to teaching excellence. Applicants should have a strong research profile, commensurate with their stage of career, and a commitment to developing both their own research profile and the activities of the History Subject area more generally."
- An ability to teach in one or more of the following areas is essential: International history, transnational history, European history.
- Application details here
- Deadline: 12 Nov. 2013
Middle Tennesse State University- History & Pedagogy [Asst/Assoc][edit | edit source]
- Tenure track assistant or associate professor in history with a speciality in Pedagogy, to begin Aug. 2014
- PhD must be in hand by start date
- "This person will teach the undergraduate course "Teaching Historical Thinking," history surveys, and upper division courses in the research field, and serve as a liaison to the College of Education. Preference will be given to candidates with experiences in developing and coordinating outreach and continuing education initiatives for K-12 history teachers and administering National History Day regional competitions. Active research agenda expected"
- " To apply for this position, go to http://mtsujobs.mtsu.edu and follow the instructions on how to complete an application, attach documents, and submit online"
- Review begins: 28 Oct.2013 and continues until position filled
- Phone Interview Scheduled 11/27
- Phone interview early December. Said committee was meeting 12/9 and candidates would hear something that week. It's now 12/19. Assuming no news is bad news since holidays are approaching, and they'd likely want to schedule campus interviews before the break. Thoughts?
- I had a phone interview and was told the same thing but also haven't heard anything.
- Same here.
- Our shared experience should give us hope! My guess is that end of the semester logistics forced them to hold off on decision-making until after the new year. Or perhaps they had the dreaded "budgetary concerns" meeting with Academic Affairs. I doubt it's the latter, because they're filling a retirement vacancy. My advice, for what it's worth: just hang tight. Hopefully we're not all candidates on the outside looking in, as happy candidates celebrate their Murfeesboro interviews. If that's the case, then my musings are worthless...
- On-campus interviews scheduled.
- Offer made and accepted.
- Tenure track assistant professorships in History
- "We welcome candidates in all subfields and notably in economic history and 18-20th century world history, post-colonial theory and historiography, history of international relations, diplomacy and public diplomacy, social and technological history, global, comparative, and transnational history"
- PhD required; Fluency in English essential but knowledge of Russian is not required
- "Generally appointments will be made for an initial three-year period and upon successful completion of an interim review, contracts would normally be extended for a further three years until the tenure review."
- "Please provide a CV, at least 2 letters of reference forwarded directly, a statement of research interest and a recent research paper. All materials should be addressed to Martin Gilman, Director, Centre for Advanced Studies at firstname.lastname@example.org"
- Deadline: 18 Dec. 2013
Nazarbayev University (Kazakhstan) - [Open rank] excl. Modern Europe & Soviet Union, multiple positions[edit | edit source]
- Unspecified no. of positions, open rank, in history, excluding Modern Europe and the Soviet Union, to begin Jan or Aug. 2014
- PhD must be in hand by start date
- "Responsibilities include teaching classes, curriculum and program development, conducting research and providing departmental guidance and leadership. The salary and benefits package is highly competitive by European and North American standards and includes medical benefits, housing and travel. The successful candidate will teach two courses per semester, and the University offers opportunities for research support. The university encourages research integrated teaching. SHSS has a faculty-student ratio of approximately 1:8, and classes are taught in English."
- "Send a letter of application, C.V., a short writing sample (20 pages maximum), and a list of three references to email@example.com"
- Review begins: 15 Oct. 2013 and continues until filled
Nottingham Trent University (UK) - International w/Chinese, Japanese, Indian or Sub-Saharan Africa[edit | edit source]
- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer (~Tenured Asst/Assoc or Assoc/Full Prof) in International History, to begin 1 Sept. 2014
- Applications are sought from candidates specialising in one of the following: Chinese History (post 1600), Japanese History (post 1600), Indian History (post 1600), Sub-Saharan African History (post 1600)
- "You will be able to demonstrate experience and expertise in teaching, curriculum design and assessment in International History and within your own specialist area. Candidates for this post must possess a commitment to teaching and learning and be able to work in a team-based and interdisciplinary context. The post-holder will be expected to contribute to curriculum delivery and development at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. You will work under the direction of the Head of the History, Languages and International Studies academic team in delivering high quality teaching, learning and pastoral support to students."
- "Applicants should have a strong research background with evidence of the ability to publish in top international journals and should have the aptitude to teach to the highest standards at both undergraduate and master's levels. Research conducted in this post will be encouraged to have impact beyond academia; a clear understanding of the impact agenda of the UK research councils is highly desirable."
- "Candidates must have recent experience of teaching International History at University level and preferably hold a PhD or equivalent."
- Deadline: 8 Jun. 2014
- Intend to interview 7 Jul.
- Tenure track assistant professorship in History, Fall 2014
- "Non-U.S. specialization preferred; further preference given to candidates with scholarly expertise outside Modern Western Europe and Britain, as well as a demonstrated ability to teach survey courses in World History, advanced offerings in specialty field, and, for university-wide general education, Western Civilization and contemporary global issues. ABD considered"
- "Applicants should demonstrate commitment to the university’s mission, to undergraduate teaching, and to research and professional development. Ouachita is a private, Christian liberal-arts institution"
- "Electronically send a letter of application, CV, and have forwarded three reference letters to Kevin C. Motl, History Search Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org."
- Review begins: 1 Dec. 2013
- Any word on this one?
- Received a last minute AHA interview request in 12/28, follow up email on 1/8, still waiting.
- ditto. guessing that ship has sailed if no news by now.
- Campus interview invitation received on 1/25.
- Anything final here? 3/21
Saint Mary's College of California - Visiting Faculty for Liberal Arts (All Disciplines, Non-TT)[edit | edit source]
- See full post at Generalist 2014
Texas Lutheran University - non-Western history[edit | edit source]
- Tenure track assistant professorship in History
- Preference will be given to candidates who offer: "Specialization outside the western hemisphere; Ability to teach in any of the following areas: Asian history, Middle Eastern history, African history, Eastern European history, quantitative history, business history; Fluency in a language other than English, or substantial international experience; Demonstrated ability of effective teaching of 100- and 200-level history classes to non-history majors."
- Applicants must have Ph.D. in History (ABDs with appropriate assurances of completion date may be considered) AND Affirmation of the mission of Texas Lutheran University, a nationally recognized university of the liberal arts, sciences, and professional students in the Lutheran (ELCA) tradition
- "Please submit a letter of application addressing the above criteria, curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching philosophy, a statement of research interests, and five professional references (names, addresses, e-mail, and telephone numbers). Also arrange for three confidential letters of reference to be submitted separately. While electronic submissions are preferred, paper submissions will be accepted. Please send your submissions to: Rebecca A. Czuchry, Ph.D; Chair, Department of History; Texas Lutheran University, 1000 W Court Street, Seguin, TX, 78155; Phone: (830) 372-6336 email: email@example.com
- Review begins: Oct. 2013 [no day specified] and continues until filled.
- 10/23 Contacted to schedule phone interview.
- Anybody else hear from them? - No
- 11/7 Three campus interviews have been scheduled for next week.
- Offer extended and accepted
- May I ask in what field the lucky applicant works?
Universiti Brunei Darussalam - Prof/Assoc Prof[edit | edit source]
- Professor or Associate Professor in History
- "Applicants must have a PhD in History or closely related areas such as Asian Studies. The geographic focus, periods, and research areas are open but preference will be given to specialists in any of the following: Brunei or Borneo history; East and South Asian history; European history; comparative history, and history of the Islamic World. Those who employ interdisciplinary approach to teaching and historical research have an advantage. Track record of research and publications, or evidence of ability to establish such a record, in addition to experience in teaching at tertiary level, is highly desirable."
- Completed application forms together with copies of academic certificates and comprehensive curriculum vitae with the names and addresses of three referees should be sent to: Registrar and Secretary, Universiti Brunei Darussalam, Jalan Tungku Link, Gadong BE 1410, BRUNEI DARUSSALAM; AND, firstname.lastname@example.org via the Apply button below. Application forms can be downloaded from our website at http://www.ubd.edu.bn/careers-ubd/academic/.
- Deadline: 12 Mar. 2014
Universiti Brunei Darussalam - Senior Lecturer/Associate Prof/Prof[edit | edit source]
- "The Institute of Asian Studies at the Universiti Brunei Darussalam is in a phase of active expansion. This has created an opening for an Historian from a recognised university with a research and teaching focus on Southeast Asia. Candidates with knowledge and interest in the economic histories of the region are particularly welcome. The ability to situate research in a wider international perspective and the context of shifting regional balances of power is also desirable. The successful candidate will hold a joint appointment with the Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences. This will involve contributions to both the Institute and Faculty in terms of research, supervision and some limited teaching responsibilities at both undergraduate and graduate level. The successful candidate will have a PHD in History from a reputable university, a demonstrable track-record of excellence in research with internationally peer-reviewed publications and a proven capacity to instigate, lead and collaborate on research projects. The Institute has established ties with a number of universities and other key bodies globally alongside funding for research and graduate students. The aim is to establish IAS as a major knowledge hub in a growing network of Asian-based research establishments."
- Completed application forms together with copies of academic certificates and comprehensive curriculum vitae with the names and addresses of three referees should be sent to: Registrar and Secretary, Universiti Brunei Darussalam, Jalan Tungku Link, Gadong BE 1410, BRUNEI DARUSSALAM, and email@example.com Application forms can be downloaded from our website at http://www.ubd.edu.bn/careers-ubd/academic/.
- Deadline: 12 Mar. 2014
- Fellow & Senior College Lecturer (~tenured Asst/Assoc Prof) of History, to begin 1 Sept. 2014
- "Jesus College wishes to appoint a Senior College Lecturer in History, with a strong record of teaching and active research interests in any field of medieval, early modern or modern history. The post is from 1 September 2014 and carries with it a Fellowship at the College. After an initial probationary period, the post will be renewable until the retiring age."
- "The successful applicant will be expected to undertake up to twelve hours a week of small-group teaching (supervision) in History, to direct studies in one or both Parts of the Historical Tripos, to play an active part in the organisation and support of the subject, including helping with undergraduate admissions, and to undertake significant administrative and pastoral jobs within the College."
- "Further particulars about the post and the application procedure are available from the College website"
- Deadline: 21 Mar. 2014 "Applicants should ask their referees to write on their behalf by the same date."
- Cross posted to European History 2013-14
University of Kent (UK) - Imperial History (1700-1950)[edit | edit source]
- Lecturer (~tenured Asst/Assoc Prof) in Imperial History c.1700-1950
- "The successful candidate will have a PhD, awarded or submitted at the time of joining, in a relevant discipline and experience of working in a Higher or Further Education context. Evidence of current research activity in the field of Imperial history is essential, along with the ability to teach a wide range of Imperial history modules at all stages"
- "For posts of this nature you will be required to fill in the main details section [online] as well as upload your CV, a one page summary (this should include details of experience and other information in support of your application with direct reference to the advertisement and further particulars) and any supporting documents. If you are invited for an interview, we will request references for you at that stage. Please include contact details of three referees in your CV."
- Online applications ONLY
- Deadline: 17 Apr. 2014
- Emailed rejection notice received 30 April.
- It's very professional of them to send a note so promptly. One wishes other schools would follow this example.
University of Macau - History of East-West Interactions [Open rank][edit | edit source]
- Open rank hire in the History of East-West Interactions, to begin Aug 2014
- "Applicants should specialize in the history of East-West exchanges and cultural interactions in the following contexts: the history of material and/or cultural exchanges between the East and the West, focusing on the flow of art, artefacts, goods, beliefs, knowledge, etc., during the Age of Sail, mainly via Macao. The successful candidate will be required to teach General Education courses in Global History. Preference may be given to candidates who can offer courses on Macao's cultural interactions with the West and neighbouring states and regions of China
- Applicants should visit http://www.umac.mo/vacancy for more details, and apply ONLINE at Jobs@UM (https://isw.umac.mo/recruitment) (Ref. No.: FSS/DHIS/HEWI/10/2014)
- Review begins: 1 Dec. 2013 and continues until position filled
University of Nebraska - Lincoln - [Non-TT][edit | edit source]
- Assistant Professorship (rolling 3 year contract) in History, to begin Aug 2014
- "to teach both classroom and online undergraduate courses and serve as the Department's coordinator of digital pedagogy. Professors of Practice enjoy faculty status (non tenure track) and have the opportunity to be promoted in rank from assistant to associate and full. This position is a three-year renewable appointment"
- PhD in history required
- Teaching load: 3/3
- Candidates must have "demonstrated experience teaching with technology at the undergraduate level required, with preferred experience in online teaching. Responsibilities include coordinating online offerings, creating models of best practices in digital pedagogy, and creating innovative partnerships that build on our commitment to digital research in the humanities"
- "To be considered for the position, visit http://employment.unl.edu, requisition F_130181, click on Apply to this job and complete the form, and attach a letter of application, curriculum vitae (including a list of courses taught), and a teaching statement (no more than 3 pages). Three confidential letters of reference that address teaching should be mailed to Professor Parks Coble, Chair, Search Committee, Department of History, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 612 Oldfather Hall, Lincoln, NE 68588-0327."
- Review begins: 15 Nov. 2013
- Skype Interview (12/9)
University of Richmond (VA)- [Asst/Assoc] Leadership Studies w/specialization in History[edit | edit source]
- "We welcome applications from all historians, with a particular interest in candidates whose research will broaden students’ understanding of leadership. Topics of particular interest include, but are not limited to, historical investigations of imperialism; Latin American, African, or Asian history; and gender studies."
- Tenure track assistant or tenured associate professor of leadership studies with a specializaiton in history or a related field
- Candidates should submit a letter of application and curriculum vitae, and provide the names and emails of three references to http://jobs.richmond.edu.
- Review begins: 31 Oct. 2013
- Intend to interview at the AHA but "attendance is not required for consideration"
- Received email to set up AHA or Skype interview 11/14
- Do you mind telling us your field? [14 September]
- My field is History of the Modern Middle East
- Modern Latin America
- Any updates since these intiial Skype interviews? Assume the formal AHA interviews have been set and they simply did not mail any rejection letters to the rest of us. Funny thing...I have not gotten one interview or one formal rejection from like 8 job apps. Never seen the lack of formal rejection letters like this year. Haven't been on the market in awhile though so maybe that is the new norm.
- In my experience, about half the jobs won't send out a rejection letter/email until they've actually hired someone. Don't know if that's the case here.
I just received a campus visit request, via email (1/13). I work on modern Africa.
University of Swaziland (Swazi.) - [Open Rank][edit | edit source]
- Lecturer/Senior lecturer/Associate Professor or Professor of History
- Deadline: 12 Jul. 2013
University of Texas - Austin [Multiple & Tenured][edit | edit source]
- One or more advanced Associate or Full Professor in History "in any of several areas, including Latin America and the United States, without respect to era."
- "The rank and salary for these positions will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The selected candidates will be expected to teach undergraduate and graduate courses, maintain strong research programs, direct graduate research and exhibit a commitment to service to the department, college and university. Candidates must be able to present evidence of teaching and research publications excellence. A PhD degree in History or related field is required."
- "Interested applicants are invited to submit a letter of interest, detailed curriculum vitae, and three letters of recommendation to: Professor H. W. Brands, Department of History, The University of Texas at Austin, in PDF format to HistoryDept@austin.utexas.edu. Alternatively, materials can be mailed to Professor H. W. Brands, Department of History, The University of Texas at Austin, 128 Inner Campus Dr. Stop B7000, Austin, TX 78712-1739. Please include the Job ID #6191. Preference is for materials to be submitted electronically. Reference letters can be submitted electronically to HistoryDept@austin.utexas.edu; please note, reference letters must be submitted with letterhead by recommender via their ".edu" email address."
- Review begins: 1 Nov. 2013 and continues until position filled
- Lectureship (~tenured Asst/Assoc Prof) in History
- "We would like to hear from outstanding candidates with a broad knowledge and experience of their discipline and are particularly interested in those who have an ability to teach modules on nineteenth- and twentieth-century British and Irish, European or American history. A particular strength of the Westminster History provision is its specialist modules on the history of London."
- Applicants should have a good first degree and a PhD in History or a related field and teaching experience at degree level, along with a commitment to delivering high-quality research
- Please note: We are unable to accept any applications by email. All applications must be made online. CVs in isolation or incomplete application forms will also not be accepted.
- Deadline: 5 May 2014
- Intend to interview 26 May
- has anyone heard anything from them?? (05/30)
- Nothing yet - I thought this meant rejection, since the interview date has passed (05/31)
- Lecturer/Assistant Lecturer in History
- Candidates must have "A PhD in History with teaching/supervisory experience at the Graduate level."
- "Detailed application (two copies) and full curriculum vitae should be sent to the Campus Registrar, The University of the West Indies, St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I., Fax No. 1-868-663-9684; e-mail: HRApplications@sta.uwi.edu. Three (3) referees (one of whom should be from your present organization) must be indicated. Application forms can be obtained at http://www.sta.uwi.edu in the Faculty & Staff, Job Vacancies section. Further particulars including remuneration package can be obtained at the above address. In order to expedite the appointment procedures, applicants are advised to ask their referees to send their references under CONFIDENTIAL cover DIRECTLY to the Campus Registrar at the above address without waiting to be contacted by the University."
- Deadline: 30 Jun. 2014
Wingate University (NC) - History & Political Science[edit | edit source]
- Continuing Assistant Professorship in History and Political Science, to begin Aug. 2014
- "The ideal candidate has earned a PhD in History and has experience teaching and/or researching in the field of transnational or comparative World History and European history; however, experience in North Carolina history, African American history, Southern U.S. history, or global political science or economics is a plus" [!]
- "Applicants may submit information electronically in .PDF form in an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Initial application materials should include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and the contact information for three references."
- Review begins: 2 Dec. 2013 and continues until position filled.
- NEW CLOSING DATE: February 11, 2014
- Is this tenure track?
- Wingate does not have a tenure system.
- This alum was under the impression that they do have a tenure system, hence the term "continuing" here.
- I received a confirmation email from the search chair that provided extensive information regarding the department and university. Apparently while they do not use the term "tenure", continuing appointments essentially function the same way as does tenure.
- Any updates?
- Still no updates?
- Any movement on this position?
- Apparently, the search committee decided they needed a few hundred more applications - see new deadline above.
- Contacted via email for a Skype/phone interview [1/15]
- Campus visits took place over the past two weeks; the SC should make a decision before this week (3/10-3/15) is out.
- Does anyone know if an offer has been made yet?
- Offer made and accepted.
Yonsei University (Sth. Korea) [Multiple][edit | edit source]
- Three tenure track pending full-time assistant professorships in History, to begin March or Sept. 2014
- "Area of specialization is open, but those with interests in Global and Comparative History, Intellectual History, or who specialize in East or South East Asia, Africa, the Islamic World, or eras prior to 1600, are especially encouraged to apply"
- PhD must be in hand by appointment date
- Teaching Load: "between 6 and 9 credit hours (2 or 3 classes) per semester."
- Interested applicants should send a c. v. and short (1 - 2 page) letter of application detailing research and teaching interests by email (email@example.com via the Apply button [in posting, linked above]
- deadline: 15 Nov. 2013
- Anyone heard from them?
- received request for more materials 11/21
Ancient[edit | edit source]
- See full post at European History 2013-14
Old Dominion University (VA) - Ancient World (Mediterranean/Indian Ocean)[edit | edit source]
- Tenure track associate professorship in "the history of the ancient world (600 BCE to 600 CE) with regional specialization in the Mediterranean Basin and/or Indian Ocean", to begin July 2014
- "Applicants who work in archaeological science and technology, environmental and/or maritime history, and/or on trans-regional connections are especially invited to apply"
- PhD (in history or classics) in hand by time of appointment
- "Send a letter of application, CV, three letters of reference, a writing sample, and two sample syllabi (undergraduate lecture and graduate seminar) to Dr. Annette Finley-Croswhite, Chair, Personnel Committee, Department of History, BAL 8000, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA 23529-0091"
- Review begins: 15 Oct. 2014
- Any news?
- Job offered and accepted
Medieval/Early Modern History[edit | edit source]
- See full post at European History 2013-2014
Modern History[edit | edit source]
City University of New York (NY) - History of the Modern World[edit | edit source]
- tenure track assistant professorship in the History of the Modern World, to begin Aug. 2014
- "candidates should have a specialization in African-American History, Latin American History or American History"
- PhD required
- "Applicants must apply online by accessing the CUNY website at www.cuny.edu and navigating to the following links: "Employment", "Search for job listings", Job ID # 9708. Please attach resume, cover letter and the names, addresses and telephone numbers of three professional references. Please upload all documents as one file. Please do not include any other documentation. "
- Deadline: 31 Jan. 2013
- Lectureship (tenured ~ Asst/Assoc Prof) in Modern History
- "You should have a PhD in History or a related discipline"
- "Whilst we encourage candidates from a wide range of areas that might fit into our departmental profile to apply, we particularly welcome applications from historians who are keen on teaching innovation, and who have expertise in the following areas: (i) the United States; (ii) Russia and/or the Soviet Union, (iii) new military and/or diplomatic history"
- Deadline: 2 Oct. 2013
- Intend to interview 24 Oct.
Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum (Germ.) - Modern/Theory of History[edit | edit source]
- Professor (W2) of Modern History and Theory of History, to begin 1 Oct. 2014
- "Applicants should be able to cover the field of Modern History and the Theory of History in both research and teaching. One focus is on the theory and methodology of history; another is the so-called “Long 19th Century”. Ideally, one of the areas of specialisation candidates should be able to demonstrate is the transformation of the stuctures of society within the framework of religion and secularisation"
- "Candidates should further be both willing and able to work within an interdisciplinary context. A high commitment to teaching is essential, as is the willingness and ability to attract third party funding. The successful applicant will be expected to cooperate with the Research Department Centre for Religious Studies (CERES) and the Käte Hamburger Kolleg “Dynamics in the History of Religion between Asia and Europa”."
- "Positive evaluation as a junior professor or equivalent academic achievement (e.g. habilitation) and evidence of special aptitude are just as much required as the willingness to participate in the self-governing bodies of the RUB and to generally get involved in university processes according to RUB’s mission statement."
- Applications should be sent by email to the Dean of the Faculty of History of the Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deadline: 30 Sept. 2013
Sheffield Hallam University (UK)- extra-European post-1800[edit | edit source]
- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer (tenured ~Asst/Assoc or Assoc/Full Prof.) in History
- "We seek a published researcher with experience of undergraduate and postgraduate teaching in an area of or aspect of extra-European history since the late eighteenth century, with reference especially to an area or aspect of the history of Asia, Africa or the Middle East; preferably with an interest in imperialism and/or globalisation."
- Non-EU Nationals please note: We welcome applications from non-EEA applicants. However, we have a legal responsibility to ensure that all employees are entitled to live and work in the UK. Before applying please check whether you would be eligible to work in the UK under the points-based system by using the UKBA points-based calculator. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website. If you will need a Tier 2 Certificate of Sponsorship, contact us before applying to check whether we should be able to issue one if you’re appointed."
- Deadline: 4 Oct. 2013
- Lectureship (~tenured Asst/Assoc Prof] in Modern History
- Further information, closing date and details of how to apply can be found at; www.chester.ac.uk/jobs [details not yet online at posting 11 Apr. AFII (talk) 08:00, April 11, 2014 (UTC)]
- Deadline: not stated in ad.
University of Hertfordshire (UK) - 20thC, non-British [Senior Hire][edit | edit source]
- Readership [tenured ~Full Prof] in Twentieth Century non-British History, to begin Jul. 2014
- "Readers are expected to have achieved distinction in their field through the production of extensive outputs recognised as being of outstanding quality, the award of peer reviewed external research income, the successful supervision of postgraduate research students, indicators of professional esteem within the subject community, and a demonstrated capacity to work effectively within teams."
- Informal enquiries about the post should be directed to the Acting Head of History, Dr Katrina Navickas (email@example.com)
- Reference number: 011902
- Deadline: 25 Apr. 2014
- Intend to interview mid-May
- NB:readvertised 8 May 2014 with a new deadline: 2 Jun. 2014
University of Portsmouth (UK) - Modern History & Heritage[edit | edit source]
- Lecturer (~tenured Asst/Assoc Prof) in Modern History & Heritage
- "We are seeking to appoint a Lecturer with a strong commitment to high quality teaching and research in social and cultural history and heritage. Preference will be given to candidates in the field of European (including British) history c. 1800-2000 with experience of carrying out historical research in a heritage-related field"
- For detailed information about the vacancy, please select this link: www.port.ac.uk/joinus.
- SHORT Deadline: 22 May 2014
- Intend to interview 23 Jun.
University of Sheffield (UK) - Contemporary History[edit | edit source]
- Lecturer (~tenured Asst/Assoc Prof) in Contemporary History
- "Preference may be given to candidates with research and teaching interests in the Cold War."
- " The post-holder will design and deliver teaching on undergraduate and postgraduate programmes and will develop the Department’s research profile through the production of high quality publications and attracting external research funding"
- "You will have a PhD in History or a related subject area (or equivalent experience), proven teaching ability and the capacity to carry out high quality research and disseminate research findings. The ability to communicate to a variety of audiences is also essential for this position. "
- Deadline: 21 May 2014
University of Winchester (UK) - Colonial & Postcolonial[edit | edit source]
- Lecturer (tenured ~Asst/Assoc Prof) in Colonial and Postcolonial History, to start 1 Jan 2014 or earlier
- Preference will be given to candidates with particular expertise in one or more of the following: the Middle East, the Indian subcontinent, Africa, South East Asia, Latin America. Working within the Department of History, you will teach the modern history of your specialist area and may contribute to courses on nineteenth and twentieth century Britain and Europe within the University’s current BA and MA programmes. Contributions will be made to the administration of the Department and its programmes. The post does require some evening teaching."
- Deadline: 2 Sept. 2013
- Intend to interview 13 Sept.
- Lecturer (~tenured Asst/Assoc Prof) in Modern History, to begin 1 Sept. 2014.
- "The Department of History within the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences is seeking to appoint a Lecturer in modern history, specialising in Latin America, China or nineteenth-century Europe"
- "Working within the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences and the Department of History, you will teach the modern history of your specialist area and contribute to courses on global history, public history and historical methodology within the University’s current BA and MA programmes. An interest in historical pedagogy is essential. The post does require some evening teaching. Contributions will be made to the administration of the Department and its programmes"
- "As our ideal candidate, you will have a doctorate and forthcoming publications to qualify for entry to the Research Excellence Framework 2020. You will have experience of teaching in higher education. Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively are also essential."
- SHORT Deadline: 29 Jun. 2014
- intend to interview 8 Jul.
Open Field[edit | edit source]
- Open Rank--Continuing Faculty Status track (tenure track equivalent) appointment at Brigham Young University, to begin August 2014. PhD required. Applications are welcome from candidates in all fields. Teaching load will include history survey courses, courses in field of specialization, and other core courses for the History and area studies majors.
- Application deadline: October 15, 2013
- Received rejection letter 12/27