Wiki page for Academic Jobs in Linguistics advertised during the 2020-2021 hiring season.
Instructions[edit | edit source]
Please add jobs in the following format and order them alphabetically by institution.
- Example University (State/Province, Country). Position Title. Specializations. Deadline. TT/NT. FT/PT. Link to Job ad(s). Updates:
TT/NT: Tenure-track or Non-tenure track.
FT/PT: Full-Time or Part-Time
For the sake of user-friendliness, please do not add more detailed content of the job ad on this page. (This is a departure from previous years, when these pages tended to become difficult to navigate. The new guidelines are modeled on more user-friendly Academic Wiki pages serving other disciplines.)
Add updates to the end of each entry as they come in: Additional materials requested, video interview scheduled, campus visit scheduled, offer extended, offer accepted, rejection received.
Please post "Have you heard?" questions above, under Word on the Street.
Please contribute to transparency in the academy by adding yourself and your advisors to the Academic Tree project.
RECENT ACTIVITY on Linguistics 2020-2021 Wiki[edit | edit source]
2021/06/03 20:44- Sociolinguist -
- ← Older revision Revision as of 20:44, 3 June 2021 Line 87: Line 87: '''University of Colorado, Boulder.''' Assistant Professor. Tenure-Track. Native American/Indigenous Ling...
2021/05/03 20:25- 188.8.131.52 -
- Jobs with 2021 Application Deadlines ← Older revision Revision as of 20:25, 3 May 2021 Line 48: Line 48: DEADLINE: April 12, 2021 DEADLINE: April 12, 2021 − Updates:...
2021/04/27 17:06- Wrwr1 -
- Jobs with 2021 Application Deadlines ← Older revision Revision as of 17:06, 27 April 2021 Line 42: Line 42: DEADLINE: April 12, 2021 DEADLINE: April 12, 2021 − Update...
2021/04/27 17:05- 184.108.40.206 -
- Jobs with 2021 Application Deadlines ← Older revision Revision as of 17:05, 27 April 2021 Line 48: Line 48: DEADLINE: April 12, 2021 DEADLINE: April 12, 2021 − Update...
2021/04/21 20:40- 220.127.116.11 -
- Jobs with 2021 Application Deadlines ← Older revision Revision as of 20:40, 21 April 2021 Line 48: Line 48: DEADLINE: April 12, 2021 DEADLINE: April 12, 2021 + Up...
Subscribe to RSS Feed for This Page: https://academicjobs.wikia.org/wiki/Linguistics_2020-2021?feed=rss&action=history
View page history: https://academicjobs.wikia.org/wiki/Linguistics_2020-2021?action=history
Jobs with 2020 Application Deadlines[edit | edit source]
Boston University (BU). Assistant Professor of Linguistics (Computational Linguistics). Tenure-track, Full time. Application deadline: 1 December 2020. Job ad on Linguist List. Updates:
University of Bayreuth (DEU:Bay). Junior Professor (Asst. Prof. equivalent). African Languages and the Construction of Knowledge. Deadline: 30 September 2020. Job ad on university website Updates:
University of Toronto Mississauga. Assistant Professor (First Language Acquisition). Deadline: 16 December 2020. Job ad on Linguist List Updates: contacted for virtual "on campus" interview (2/19)
McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada. Assistant Professor in Linguistics with Specialization in Syntax. Tenure-track. Application deadline: 15 December 2020. Job ad on Linguist List. Updates: Rejection email 26 January 2021. Rejection email post short interview 25 February 2021.
Jobs with 2021 Application Deadlines[edit | edit source]
DEADLINE: April 12, 2021
Updates: Rejection (4/27)
DEADLINE: April 12, 2021
Updates: Additional materials requested (4/21). Long-list interview (4/23). Short-list interview scheduled (5/4).
Al Akhawayn University (Morocco): Lecturer/Assistant Professor in Arabic Literature and Rhetoric
- The School of Humanities and Social Sciences (SHSS) of Al Akhawayn University in Ifrane (AUI) invites applications from qualified, enthusiastic candidates for one position in Arabic literature and rhetoric as of Fall 2021; Candidates should hold an M.A. degree or Ph.D. in Arabic literature and language or other relevant area, including second-language acquisition, linguistics, and language pedagogy
- For more information and to apply, see: http://www.aui.ma/images/SHSS_ARA-Fall2021.pdf
- DEADLINE: Feb. 28, 2021
California State University, Long Beach (CSULB). Assistant Professor of Linguistics (ASL Linguistics and Deaf Cultures) Tenure- Track, Full time, APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications to begin on November 20, 2020. Position opened until filled (or recruitment canceled). Job application . Updates:
Boğaziçi University, Istanbul (BOUN). Full Professor of Linguistics (Language Acquisition, Morphology, Syntax, Semantics). Deadline: 15 February 2021. Job ad on university webpage. Updates:
Occidental College. Assistant Professor of Cognitive Science. Tenure Track. Review of application begins March 1, 2021. Ad on college webpage:
University of Koblenz-Landau, Germany. Junior Professorship for English Linguistics and Teaching English as a Foreign Language (Asst. Prof. equivalent). Deadline: 12 January 2021. Updates:
University of Nevada, Reno (UNR): Assistant Professor of Linguistic Anthropology (Ethnographic approach to the study of language and culture). Tenure-Track. Application Deadline: January 24, 2021. Job ad on university webpage. Updates:
- 2/10 Rejection received.
University of Oklahoma: Assistant Professor of Linguistics (General Linguistics; Morphology; Semantics; Syntax; Theoretical Linguistics). Tenure-track. Application deadline: January 15, 2021. Job ad on Linguist List. Updates:
- 4/2 Search completed / rejection email
University of Toronto: Assistant/Associate Professor in French Experimental Linguistics (French Linguistics, Experimental and Quantitative Methods). Tenure-track. Application deadline: January 4, 2021. Job ad on Linguist List. Updates:
University of Toronto: Assistant Professor in Psycholinguistics (Psycholinguistics, Quantitative Methods). Contractually limited term appointment. Application deadline: February 15, 2021. Job ad on university webpage. Updates:
University of Toronto: Assistant Professor in Language Variation and Change. Contractually limited term appointment. Application deadline: February 15, 2021. Job ad on university webpage. Updates: Interview requests have gone out (3/12)
University of York, York, UK. Associate Professor (Senior Lecturer) in English Language and Linguistics. Language change, language use, or language variation, with a special focus on varieties of English. Application deadline: February 18, 2021. Tenure-track (open contract), full-time. Job ad on university webpage.
University of York, York, UK. Assistant Professor (Lecturer) in Sociolinguistics. Language variation and change, sociolinguistics, or varieties of English. Application deadline: February 14, 2021. Tenure-track (open contract), full-time. Job ad on university webpage. Updates: Short-listed candidates and reserve candidates have been notified (03/01).
York University, Toronto, Canada. Assistant Professor. Tenure-track. Language Acquisition; Morphology; Semantics; Sociolinguistics; Syntax; Bilingualism. Application deadline: January 15, 2021. Job ad on Linguist List. Updates: 3/18 Rejection received.
University of Colorado, Boulder. Assistant Professor. Tenure-Track. Native American/Indigenous Linguistics. Application deadline: January 22, 2021. Job ad on university webpage. Updates: additional materials requested (2/10). Interview requests have gone out (3/3). Finalists have been notified (3/9). Has CUB notified all the finalists? (3/10). Rejection received (3/29).
University of Edinburgh, UK. Lecturer or Senior Lecturer in Sociolinguistics. Application deadline: May 31, 2021. Job ad on Linguist List.
University of Edinburgh, UK. Lecturer or Senior Lecturer in Semantics. Application deadline: May 31, 2021. Job ad on Linguist List.
Word on the Street[edit | edit source]
Received rejection letter from University of York (UK) March 1st
Has anyone heard from Bayreuth?
Has anyone heard if interview requests have gone out for the phonetics/phonology jobs from UC Santa Cruz, UW, or Concordia?
Interviewed via Zoom for UC Santa Cruz and then got a rejection letter
I have received a rejection letter from UC Santa Cruz. x4
I've gotten an interview request from UW - 1/15 x2
Also waiting to hear anything at all from Concordia - Feb 2
~ at this point it's unlikely they haven't made decisions yet.
- Email from Concordia stated that "the search is still in progress" and they will notify everyone once it's complete. - Feb 23
- I heard this news is falsified.
Has anyone heard about interview requests from UC Irvine (Language Science) or USC (Psycholinguistics)?
-- I've heard that Irvine has scheduled job talks and USC has started interviews.
-- UCI sent official rejections 2/6 x 2
Has anyone heard about interview requests from any of the syntax/semantic/morphology jobs? (Oklahoma, McMaster, YorkU)
--Just got a rejection email from McMaster x 2
--any job talks scheduled at McMaster?
Has anyone heard about interview requests from the University of Toronto Mississauga (First Language Acquisition)? no
- yes, campus visits in March (3/3)
I've had an interview with BU - 1/21
Does anyone know if USC has scheduled job talks yet?
-- yes, it has
Has anyone heard about interview requests from UNR or Boulder?
- Just received a request for recommendation letters from Boulder (2/10).
did the request come to the applicant or the recommender?
- Both the applicant and the recommenders.
2/10: rejection from UNR.
- Any word from YorkU or Oklahoma?
I've heard that (at least) an invitation for a job talk at Oklahoma has gone out - 2/16
-And still no word from YorkU?
I received a clarification question on 2/16 which makes me believe that they are still working on the long/short-list
Has anyone heard from YorkU after 2/16?
- Assuming they've at least made preliminary decisions at this point...?
Has anyone heard from UofT's CLTAs post interview?
-Received rejection for Psycholin.
Did not get a single interview this year. What should I do?
I am so sorry - the job market is truly broken and the pandemic only made things worse. I am in the same boat and I think the most important thing is to remember that this does not reflect on your worth or that of your work. There is a whole wide world out there, and while academia is a dream for many of us, there are many exciting careers outside of academia. That doesn't mean you should give up on pursuing a career as a researcher, it just means it might be time to explore additional options.
- Sorry to hear that. Academia is rough, and very often unfair (especially when it comes to TT jobs). I just heard about a position where the candidate with the weakest CV (by miles) got the offer. So it's not only the case that positions are highly competitive, it's that even if you happen to be super qualified, someone objectively less qualified than you may get it because whatever they do "appeals more" to the committee—even when they have zero publications, which is something my naïve and younger self believed to be impossible. I know people who are not that great with great jobs (in fact, I know many with super weak CVs who are employed); people who are great with mediocre jobs (sad); and great people without jobs at all (even worse).
- Yes hiring can be unfair. I was on the market several years ago and didn't even make it to campus interviews, so I had to give up on North American academia and went somewhere else, but later I found out that most of those who have been offered the jobs that I applied for turned out to be far less productive than me now. I guess there are dozens of people in the same situation for every generation, now that being offered a TT job in North America is rather an exception than a norm. But I'm happy in my current place and I urge you to consider alternatives, such as outside of North America or academia. It's probably more of their loss than yours.