Back to: History 2020-21
Last Year's Page: History of Sci Tech & Med 2019-20
When posting new jobs:
- Follow the format of existing post
- Use the 'Preview' button to check for errors before hitting 'Publish'
- Include a link to the original advert in the heading.
- When posting new jobs, use Heading 2 for new categories, and Heading 3 for jobs.
- Add entries in alphabetical order. (Note that "University of X" should be alphabetized by U as first sort, and X as second sort within the U listings)
- Our users come from all over the world - please use unambiguous dating systems when posting.
- Be aware of the T&C of the wiki relating to personal data when discussing candidates/job talks etc.
- If you are deleting information from the page use the 'Edit Summary' box to explain why you are doing so - this helps the mods tell the difference between page vandals and legit. edits.
- 1 RECENT ACTIVITY (RSS FEED)
- 2 Open/Mixed
- 2.1 Aarhus University (DMK) - Philosophy of healthcare
- 2.2 Colby College (USA:ME) - STS [non-TT:VAP]
- 2.3 Durham University (UK:Eng) - Philosophy of Science
- 2.4 Simon Fraser University (CAN: BC)
- 2.5 Tyumen State University, School of Advanced Studies (Russia) - open-rank, limited-term (1 or 3 years), renewable
- 2.6 Università Ca' Foscari Venezia (ITL) - non-TT
- 2.7 University of Alberta (CAN)
- 2.8 University of Chicago (USA:IL)
- 2.9 University College London (UK:Eng) - STS [non-TT]
- 2.10 Rice University (USA:TX) - Senior Hire
- 2.11 Texas A&M University, Commerce (USA:TX) - Ancient/Early Modern Med.
- 2.12 Marian University, Indianapolis (USA: IN)
- 3 Medicine
- 3.1 Johns Hopkins University (USA:MD)
- 3.2 Sam Houston State University (USA:TX) - [Non-TT]
- 3.3 University of California, Los Angeles (USA:CA)
- 3.4 University of Cambridge (UK:Eng) - [Non-TT]
- 3.5 University of Exeter (UK:Eng) - post-1800
- 3.6 University of Houston (USA:TX) - [Senior Hire]
- 3.7 University of Iowa (USA:IA) - Global Health Studies & History [non-TT:VAP]
- 3.8 University of Minnesota - Twin Cities (USA:MN) - 19th & 20thC [non-TT]
- 3.9 Queen's University - Faculty of Health Sciences (CAN:ON) - History of Medicine [non-TT: remote]
- 4 Science
- 5 Technology
RECENT ACTIVITY (RSS FEED)
2021/08/03 10:52- AFII -
- McMaster University (CAN) - Science Communication ← Older revision Revision as of 10:52, 3 August 2021 Line 281: Line 281: *Applications must be made...
2021/06/14 18:27- 188.8.131.52 -
- Queen's University - Faculty of Health Sciences (CAN:ON) - History of Medicine [non-TT: remote] ← Older revision Revision as of 18:27, 14 June 2021 Line 255:...
2021/05/31 19:48- 184.108.40.206 -
- Queen's University - Faculty of Health Sciences (CAN:ON) - History of Medicine [non-TT: remote] ← Older revision Revision as of 19:48, 31 May 2021 Line 252:...
2021/05/31 19:45- 220.127.116.11 -
- Added new position - Queen's University (History of Medicine) ← Older revision Revision as of 19:45, 31 May 2021 Line 246: Line 246: * This search is...
2021/05/10 11:14- AFII -
- University of Houston (USA:TX) - [Senior Hire] ← Older revision Revision as of 11:14, 10 May 2021 Line 219: Line 219: * Applications should include:...
Subscribe to RSS feed for this page: https://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/History_of_Science_Technology_Medicine_2020-21?feed=rss&action=history
Aarhus University (DMK) - Philosophy of healthcare
- Associate professorship in the philosophy of healthcare, a permanent position which begins on 1 August 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter.
- One main area of responsibility for this position is the task of teaching in and coordinating the professional Master’s degree programme in humanistic health research and practical development : https://cas.au.dk/uddannelse/evu/humanistisk-sundhedsvidenskab-og-praksisudvikling/. This involves coordinating seminars, and contact with students throughout the semester. The coordinator is expected to be present at times of teaching, typically during the weekends, when they will also be required to organise practical issues. The coordinator will also schedule teachers for courses each semester, and will be the primary person of contact for students enrolled in the professional Master’s degree programme. The courses in this programme are taught in Danish.
- Applicants must have a PhD or equivalent qualifications in philosophy or related areas of research, as well as research and teaching qualifications equivalent to those acquired in an assistant professorship
- The applicant is invited to submit a research plan outlining plans for the first three years of employment. In addition, applicants should submit: a cover letter including a concise statement of motivation; a maximum of eight publications; please see what else to submit further below under the headline 'Formalities'. Only submitted publications will be assessed; a list of publications is not sufficient. As a result, applications without submitted publications will not be assessed.
- Deadline: not state in ad.
Colby College (USA:ME) - STS [non-TT:VAP]
- One-year Visiting Assistant Professor position. We seek candidates with demonstrated excellence in teaching in any area of Science, Technology, and Society for the 2021-2022 academic year
- Applicants must have a Ph.D. in hand by September 1, 2021
- teaching load: 4 courses. Introduction to STS, the two-course Technology Matters and Senior Project (senior capstone) sequence for senior STS majors and minors, and one additional course in the successful candidate’s area of expertise.
- To apply, please submit applications via Interfolio at: apply.interfolio.com/83599. Include a cover letter, CV, writing sample of no more than 25 pages, statement of teaching philosophy and research interests that demonstrates commitment to the value of diversity and to inclusive teaching, and three confidential letters of recommendation.
- Review begins: 15 Mar. 2021 and continues until position filled.
Durham University (UK:Eng) - Philosophy of Science
- Associate or Assitant Professorsion in the Philosophy of Science, to begin 1 Sept. 2021
- Apply link https://durham.taleo.net/careersection/du_ext/jobdetail.ftl?job=20000937&tz=GMT%2B00%3A00&tzname=Europe%2FLondon
- Deadline: 31 Jan. 2021
- Tenure-Track Assistant Professorship in the area of Critical Algorithm Studies, to begin September 1, 2021.
- Areas of research and teaching may include, but are not limited to, critical data studies; social implications of data systems and infrastructures; algorithmic bias; politics of content moderation; science and technology studies; intersectional analyses of digital labour; and platform studies. We especially welcome scholars who engage with Indigenous studies, Black studies, intersectional feminisms, decolonization and postcolonial studies, queer theory, trans studies, disability studies, critical race/ethnic studies, and transcultural and global studies. We are open to a range of approaches, including qualitative, quantitative, digital methods, and/or applied practices (e.g. creative interventions, data visceralization, community-led design), or a combination of approaches.
- Candidates are expected to have a completed Ph.D. (or Ph.D. near completion) in Communication, Media Studies, or a related discipline.
- Review begins: 15 Nov. 2020. Applications to be submitted to Brenda Baldwin, Director's Assistant, at email@example.com.
Tyumen State University, School of Advanced Studies (Russia) - open-rank, limited-term (1 or 3 years), renewable
- SAS is recruiting new professors (open rank) in cultural studies, history (in particular, history of technology), film and media studies and production, psychology, sociology, economics, higher education, IT and system analysis, and mathematics (quantitative reasoning, data analysis and statistics).
- SAS is a growing interdisciplinary research center and educational institution (BA/MA) at the Tyumen State University, which opened in 2017 to serve as a benchmark for universities across Russia. SAS operates in English and currently employs 29 full-time faculty from 17 countries, most of whom received their PhDs from universities top-ranked globally.
- SAS offers either one-year or three-year renewable faculty appointments starting August 2021, pays competitive salaries, provides health insurance and research allowance. Suitable and interested candidates might be offered an initial visiting professor appointment in the Spring 2021. Preliminary interviews will be conducted online; short-listed candidates will be invited for a campus visit.
- Review begins: 10 Nov. 2020. Please, apply with your CV and a cover letter specifying the candidate’s desired role in SAS research and teaching environment as well as three letters of recommendation sent separately. Please, direct all materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Note from the poster: This is a legit place and search (check out their list of faculty: https://sas.utmn.ru/en/people-en/). As of the time of posting, the recruitment page is still for 2019 (so, don't get confused by the wrong deadline); this ad is made from the announcement by the SAS director (https://www.facebook.com/shcherbenok/posts/10221035839498324).
- No, this is definitely not a legit place. Everyone read this and save your time applying to this place: https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/odr/how-love-what-you-do-went-wrong-in-an-academic-sweatshop-in-siberia/
- It's legit in the sense that they will pay your salary, you will work with some of the smartest students in Russia, you will have medical insurance, and - yes - they will demand a lot, but your teaching load will be manageable. I'd rather be there than an adjunct in the U.S. working for $2,000 per course without any benefits.
Università Ca' Foscari Venezia (ITL) - non-TT 
- Assistant Professor in the area of History of Science and Technology
- The assistant professor will carry out research aimed at analysing history of early-modern geology, its connection with cosmology and cosmography, and the function of natural knowledge for the transformation of the world, especially in relation to geo-environmental management and hydroengineering.
- Read the call here: https://www.unive.it/data/38002/?id=2020-UNVE000-0052179
- Deadline: 29 Oct. 2020
- Tenure-track Assistant Professorship in the area of Science, Technology and Society Studies.
- This position will be cross-appointed between Media and Technology Studies and one other department in the Faculty of Arts.
- Applicants should hold a PhD or have a strong expectation of completing the PhD before July 1, 2021. They will have an emergent teaching and research/publication record relevant to the field. They will propose an innovative program of research in the broad area of Science, Technology, and Society (STS) and outline how it complements existing areas of scholarly and pedagogical strength in the Faculty’s interdisciplinary Media and Technology Studies unit and beyond.
- We seek applications from persons qualified to undertake teaching and research in one or more of the following areas: Anthropology of science and technology; History of science and technology; Mediating science and technology; Philosophy of science and technology.
- Apply online: https://www.careers.ualberta.ca/Competition/A111742599/
- Review begins: 1 Nov. 2020 Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
(23 December) - Any news?
(28 December) - I haven't heard anything! (x2)
(8 January) Still nothing -- anyone else?
(18 January) Nope, I haven't heard a peep either.
(23 February) Still nothing -- anyone else?
(24 February) Nothing here (x2)
(they do specify that will not notify applicants who don't make the short list, so at this point I am assuming silence = rejection)
(March 8) Invited for zoom interview
- Tenure-track, beginning assistant professorship in the History of Science to start on or after July 1, 2021.
- The specific geographic area and period are open, and fields of study including life, physical, social, and technological sciences will be considered.
- Candidates must have earned the PhD degree prior to the start of the appointment
- Applicants must apply online at the University of Chicago’s Interfolio website at http://apply.interfolio.com/80134 and include 1) a cover letter, 2) a curriculum vitae, 3) a research statement, 4) a teaching statement, 5) dissertation abstract, 6) an article or chapter-length writing sample, and 7) three letters of reference
- Review begins: 1 Dec. 2020 and continues until position filled
- Dec 17th, anyone heard anything from UChicago?
- Nothing yet (December 17). I think it will be a very large pool...
December 17 - request for extra writing materials
To the person who wrote about writing materials: did they ask for a book/ dissertation draft or just an additional chapter/ article?
- they asked for all the completed portions of manuscript as well as other publications (if any)
- thanks! Congrats on making it through the first cut.
- (Jan 5) Have they scheduled interviews or just requested additional materials?
- Jan 5 - no updates here after the request for additional writing samples
- (8 January) Any updates after the request for additional materials?
- 8 January, just got a rejection email
- 11 January, has anybody received an interview request yet?
- 20 January - Job talks announced, three finalists.
Were the talks announced publicly? If so, where can we find the information about the talks?
University College London (UK:Eng) - STS [non-TT]
- 12 month lectureship in Social Studies of Science, to begin 2 Jan. 2021
- The main duties of the post will involve: Teach undergraduate and masters modules (including dissertation supervision) in the subject area; Complete marking for these modules in a timely fashion; Undertake administrative duties associated with the modules and with STS degrees; Contribute to the academic life of the department
- Teaching load - The specific modules assigned to this post will likely include: HPSC0097 Research Project, HPSC0092 Responsible Research and Innovation, HPSC0126 Research Methods, HPSC0093 Science Policy in an Era of Risk and Uncertainty, HPSC0041 Dissertation. The first four above modules are MSc courses, while the last is the undergraduate dissertation module. Particulars about the modules are online in the module syllabus
- For informal enquiries, please contact Prof Jon Agar or Prof Emma Tobin (co-Heads of Department) by email at email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Deadline: 3 Jan. 2021
- intend to interview 7 Jan (!)
Rice University (USA:TX) - Senior Hire
- Baker College Chair (Associate or Full professor) for the History of Science, Technology and Innovation, to begin Jul. 2021
- The Baker College Chair will be a notable scholar whose scholarship and teaching deal with innovative topics in the history of science and technology, broadly defined, and who is committed to excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, and local, national, and international outreach. Area of specialization, regional competencies, and time period are open. The Baker College Chair will have an active research program, be expected to play an important role in undergraduate and, as appropriate, graduate programs in the department, and offer courses of interest to Rice students majoring in the humanities and STEM fields
- Only electronic applications will be accepted, via the Rice University RICEWorks website: https://jobs.rice.edu/postings/24233
- Review begins: 15 Oct 2020 - for full consideration: 15 Nov. 2020
Texas A&M University, Commerce (USA:TX) - Ancient/Early Modern Med.
- Tenure track assistant professorship in Ancient/Early Modern Mediterranean History, to begin Aug. 2021, with pref. for History of Science and Medicine.
- See full posting (link above) at World/Global/Transnational_History_2020-21
- Anyone hear anything about this position yet (Dec. 17)?
- Any news; I haven't heard anything as of 2 Jan.
- Requests for first-round interviews went out on Dec. 16
- Full Time Tenure-Track faculty member in History
- Ideal areas of specialization included Latin American History, History of Medicine, or History of Science
- Preference will be given to candidates with at least 18 graduate credits outside of History that would allow them to assist the department in teaching cross-listed courses in Criminal Justice, Public Health, or Sociology
- Marian University is a Catholic, comprehensive, regional institution of higher education dedicated to excellent teaching and learning in the Franciscan and liberal arts traditions and offers a multitude of undergraduate, graduate and professional programs
- Review of applications will begin December 31, 2020 and continue until the position is filled
- Applications require a letter of application, a current CV, three letters of recommendation, evidence of teaching effectiveness, and a sample of scholarly work. All applications should be submitted to []
- Note [12/1/2020]: Upon submission of my application, I received an email from Marian University with a mission statement and four questions related to said statement. I had to answer these questions in written form and submit them within five business days. I suggest timing the submission of your application well--don't send it off and then go on vacation for two weeks. Here are the questions: 1. How do you think Marian University’s mission, as well as the Catholic Franciscan identity, will support your work as a professor / staff / administrator? 2. How will the work you do in your role at Marian University be different in light of the mission and identity of the University? 3. How will you promote the success of those from marginalized groups? 4. In what ways will your work promote and support transformational leaders that are trustworthy, healthy, skilled and inquisitive?
- Any updates on this position?
- [15 Mar.] Campus visits were held about 2-3 weeks ago in late Feb/Early March. I don't know if an offer has been made yet (secondhand reliable).
- [24 Mar.] - ....real, physically on campus visits? Wow. But also, thank you for the update!
- Tenure track assistant or associate professorship in the History of Medicine
- PhD must have been defended by 1 July, 2021
- "The Department is committed to broadening the history of health and medicine, and seeks new colleagues who address areas not covered by existing faculty, specifically in the areas of pre-modern medicine, health, and healing before 1800, and in medicine, health and healing in East Asia, Southeast Asia, South Asia, the Middle East, Africa, or other geographical areas which would extend the reach of our Department."
- Document requirements: a letter of application, C.V., statement of research interests, a sample syllabus, a chapter-length writing sample, and three letters of reference
- Deadline: 15 Nov 2020 via Interfolio submission
- Does anybody know why they extended the deadline to November 21 shortly after the closing date?
- Dec 5th, Anyone heard anything yet? And any updates about the comment above (ie - was the search extended for some reason)?
- (Dec 7), nothing yet (same here)
- (Dec 14) still nothing? --> Yup, Dec 14th and still nothing. (same)
- (Dec 18) form rejection, no interview.
- (21 Dec) no word, still; no rejection, nothing else. Others in this position?, (21 Dec) - Same, no word, no rejection and nothing else. I guess since interviews were already sent out and some rejections, strange to not receive any notification? Keep us informed if you hear anything else from them. (22 Dec) Rejections might have been sent only to candidates for the non-pre-1800/global line that was suspended.
- (21 Dec) - interview request on Dec 18 --> congrats on the interview! Keep us posted!
- (5 Jan.) form rejection, no interview. Wonder why the delay! x2 although I'd already gotten this letter once before... nice to be rejected twice!
Sam Houston State University (USA:TX) - [Non-TT]
- Visiting Assistant Professor in the History of Medicine, to begin Fall 2021
- Period and geographic specialization are open. We prefer candidates who specialize in diseases, gender and medicine, or colonial medicine, and whose work maps onto one of the thematic tracks organizing the department’s M.A. program: (1) Rights & Identity; (2) War & Violence; and (3) Encounters & Exchanges.
- PhD must be in hand before start date
- Teaching Load: 4/4 "Online teaching experience is a plus. Teaching responsibilities include undergraduate and graduate courses (face-to-face and online) in History of Medicine, as well as the World History survey."
- To apply, upload to http://shsu.peopleadmin.com/postings/25323 a letter of application, addressed to Dr. Pınar Emiralioğlu, Chair of the History of Medicine Search Committee; a curriculum vitae; unofficial graduate transcripts (official transcripts of all post-secondary education will be required of all finalists prior to on-campus interviews); a diversity and inclusion statement, specifically addressing your qualifications and strategy for engaging all students at SHSU; a writing sample of chapter length; three sample syllabi (one undergraduate course on World History since 1500, one undergraduate course on History of Medicine and one online graduate course in History of Medicine, uploaded to the Teaching Portfolio link); and three letters of recommendation. If a candidate has not completed the doctorate, one letter must be from the candidate’s advisor, addressing the state of the dissertation
- Review begins: 1 Feb. 2021 and continues until position filled.
- Any updates?
- [12 Mar] Zoom interview request
- Tenure track assistant professorship in the History of Medicine
- PhD must be in hand by 30 Jul. 2020
- The chronological and geographical range are open but we especially welcome candidates whose work includes a transnational or global dimension, who are interested in the technological and material aspects of medical practice, broadly construed, and who think in an integrated way about the history of science, technology and medicine and their place in a history department.
- All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply online at https://recruit.apo.ucla.edu/JPF05504 to upload their information for this position. This position is subject to final administrative approval.
- Document requirements: Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V, Cover Letter, Statement of Research (Optional), Statement of Teaching (Optional), Statement on Contributions to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion - An EDI Statement describes a faculty candidate’s past, present, and future (planned) contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion, Writing Sample, Sample Syllabi. Reference requirements: 3-5 letters of reference required
- Deadline: 31 Aug. 2020
- [27 Jul.] Received an automated email saying the search was postponed for at least a year. Followed up and confirmed with a department Admin.
- [25 Aug.] I can confirm that. The search was canceled and they don't know when they will get a line approved again. I just wish I had seen this earlier.
University of Cambridge (UK:Eng) - [Non-TT]
- Fixed Term 3 year Lectureship (~VAP) in History of Modern Medicine to start on 1 September 2021
- Appointment will be made at Point 49 (£41,526) on the University Lecturer scale and will be for a period of three years while Professor Nick Hopwood holds a Leverhulme Major Research Fellowship to work on 'The Many Births of the Test-Tube Baby'.
- Applicants should hold a PhD in a relevant discipline and be able to provide outstanding teaching and research in history of medicine since 1800. We especially welcome applicants whose expertise would expand the range of histories and geographies currently encompassed in the Department's teaching programme. The postholder will be expected to give lectures and lead seminars at undergraduate and masters level, to supervise coursework (assessed essays and dissertations) and to perform other departmental duties including those associated with assessment, examination and running seminars or reading groups. They will also be expected to publish and otherwise communicate their research in such a way as to maintain the Department's national and international reputation for excellence in history of health and medicine.
- Applications should include: 1. A full CV, including details of teaching experience; 2. a list of publications; 3. statements about current and proposed research; 4. two samples of recent work; 5. the names of three referees.
- Deadline: 28 Feb. 2021
University of Exeter (UK:Eng) - post-1800
- Lectureship (~asst/assoc prof) in Medical History
- We are keen to receive applications from candidates with research expertise in any aspect of modern medical history (post c.1800). This includes innovative areas of disciplinary and interdisciplinary research expertise such as (but not confined to) the history of public health, disability, sexuality, gender and the body, health inequalities, international health systems, development and policymaking. We particularly welcome applications from candidates whose research engages with race and adopts decolonizing approaches to dominant paradigms in the history of medicine and health.
- Deadline: 7 June 2021
University of Houston (USA:TX) - [Senior Hire]
- NEH-Cullen Chair (~Full Prof) in History and Medicine
- We seek applications from scholars working on any aspect of the History of Medicine, broadly defined. Geographical and chronological concentrations are open, and all research areas will be seriously considered. Candidates with special interest in how race, ethnicity, gender, and class influence health disparities are especially encouraged to apply.
- The successful candidate will hold a Ph.D. in History, History of Medicine, History of Science, or related field.
- The candidate will have an ambitious research agenda, a record of publication, including at least two monographs, as well as teaching and professional service commensurate with that of a Full Professor for an appointment to a major endowed professorship.
- Complete applications should include a letter of application, CV, copies of representative publications, and contact information for three recommendation providers. Please direct all inquiries to Dr. Philip Howard at email@example.com. Applicants are to apply at jobs.uh.edu under the faculty employment link
- Review begins: 20 Jan. 2021 and continues until position filled
University of Iowa (USA:IA) - Global Health Studies & History [non-TT:VAP]
NB: this is a 2021-22 position, posted here as a holding place until next year's pages are created
- full-time Visiting Assistant Professor in Global Health/History for the 2021-2022 academic year, with possible renewal for 2022-2023 pending collegiate funding and positive reviews
- The successful candidate will have expertise in the medical humanities broadly construed, some knowledge of contemporary public health practice, and the ability to teach history courses in their geographical field of specialization
- Teaching Load: 3 courses/semester max (negotiable)
- Application materials should be sent to https://jobs.uiowa.edu and include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and three letters of recommendation. Refer to requisition number 74157
- Review begins: 19 May 2021
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities (USA:MN) - 19th & 20thC [non-TT]
- Lecturer or Teaching Specialist in the History of Medicine, Job begins August 16, 2021 and ends June 30, 2022.
- Requirements for PhD in history of medicine or a related field must be completed by August 1, 2021.
- This search is for a temporary position as Lecturer or Teaching Specialist, dependent on the candidate’s qualifications, in the History of Medicine. The competitive salary includes full benefits. The appointee will be expected to teach undergraduate courses in Technology and Medicine in Modern America (HMED 3075) and Healthcare in History II (HMED 3002), plus one additional course, and contribute to the Program’s service to the Medical School including teaching in medical courses and a history of medicine elective for medical students. The appointee will also be expected to be an active member of the Graduate Program in the History of Science, Technology, and Medicine and provide advice to HSTM graduate students.
- Review begins: 29 Mar. 2021 and continues until position filled.
Queen's University - Faculty of Health Sciences (CAN:ON) - History of Medicine [non-TT: remote]
- Applications are invited for a Term Adjunct appointment to teach history of medicine while the Jason A. Hannah Professor of the History of Medicine is on a leave. The appointment will be for the period August 1, 2021 to May 31, 2022.
- The appointment will be at 100% responsibility for the equivalent of a 1.0 credit course in the History of Medicine thread in Undergraduate Medical Education. Teaching will include a total of 36 contact hours usually with all 100 students in each class primarily through lectures, but also through symposia, seminars and small group sessions.
- The medium of delivery is flexible. If the Term Adjunct is not physically able to travel to Kingston, in-class sessions as well as other responsibilities may be conducted virtually via Zoom.
- Applications are to include a cover letter, an up-to-date curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of two referees.
- Review begins: 1 June 2021. Complete applications accepted until 1 July 2021.
European University Institute (ITL) - Senior Hire
- Chair in History of Science (1500 to 1850)
- The European University Institute is looking for candidates with a distinguished record of scholarly publications and experience in postgraduate teaching and doctoral supervision,
- Preference will be given to candidates who have a broad range of experience in the global history of scientific knowledge and scientific practices (including the human sciences, medicine, environment, and technology) and who are able to cover a wide range of topics over the long term. Candidates with an orientation towards interdisciplinary and collaborative research are strongly invited to apply.
- Interested applicants should consult www.eui.eu/vacancies for further particulars.
- Deadline: 1 Mar. 2021
Hamilton College (USA:NY) - [Non-TT:VAP or Instructor]
- One year visiting position at the rank of Instructor or Assistant Professor, beginning July 1, 2021
- Candidates with ABD will be considered, although candidates with a Ph. D. are preferred.
- Teaching Load: 5 courses - We seek candidates to teach a survey of the Scientific Revolution and related courses in the history of science and early modern European intellectual history. Candidates will also advise several undergraduates engaged in independent research projects in these fields
- Candidates should submit a cover letter, c.v., graduate transcript, writing sample (such as a chapter or article), and three letters of recommendation via interfolio at http://apply.interfolio.com/85549. Questions regarding the search may be directed to Kevin Grant (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Review begins: 9 Apr. 2021
McMaster University (CAN) - Science Communication
NB: although this post makes no mention of History of Science as an area of interest it has been repeatedly reposted here and does mention STS, so I'm leaving it in place. AFII (talk) 09:31, July 23, 2020 (UTC)
- Tenure track Assistant or Associate Professor in Science Communication
- We wish to recruit a scholar whose research program addresses questions on the impact of science literacy on society, public engagement, news and media discourse and/or policy development with a focus on science communication. Applicants are invited from science and technology studies, communication and media studies, digital humanities, biomedical knowledge translation and related fields. The candidate must have demonstrated research and teaching expertise in relevant fields, be capable of establishing a vibrant extramurally funded research program to illuminate and inform the work of the School, hold a PhD at the time of appointment and have relevant professional experience in science communication.
- The successful applicant is expected to engage undergraduate and graduate students in the classroom and research to develop novel pedagogical approaches that integrate science communication with the course content. In addition, they are also expected to contribute to administrative and teaching duties associated with a planned Masters in Science Communication program.
- Document requirements: a cover letter, curriculum vitae (including a list of relevant works related to science communication), a demonstration of professional experience in the appropriate field, a statement of teaching philosophy, a diversity statement describing your commitment to and demonstrated experience advancing equity, diversity and inclusion in post-secondary education, community-based or other professional settings, and the names of three references with contact information to be used for short-listed candidates.
- Applications must be made online at https://hr.mcmaster.ca/careers (Faculty Positions, Job ID 30030) to the attention of Dr. Ana Campos, Director, School of Interdisciplinary Science, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, L8S 4K1.
- Deadline: 1 Aug. 2020
- [Sept. 14] Recieved rejection e-mail.
University of Oxford (UK:Eng) - [Non-TT]
- Three-year fixed term Departmental Lectureship in History of Science, tenable from 1 October 2021.
- The purpose of this full-time post is to cover the History Faculty’s teaching needs while Professor Rob Iliffe serves as History Faculty Board Chair.
- Teaching: At the undergraduate level you will be responsible for teaching classes and tutorials for Supplementary Subject ‘The History of Science 1500-1900’ and Further Subject ‘The Authority of Nature: Race, Heredity, Crime 1780-1940’. You will be asked to convene and teach MSc and MPhil students in classes and tutorials in the Advanced Paper ‘Evolution and Society, 1800-1950’
- Deadline: 20 Aug. 2021
- Tenure track assistant professorship in history of technology
- “Exceptionally well-qualified applicants at higher levels may also be considered”
- “Able to handle technical, cultural, and economic aspects of the subject, including connections to the history of science”
- Documentation requirements: cover letter, CV, research statement, teaching statement, diversity and inclusion statement, writing sample, and three letters of recommendation
- Applications through Caltech’s online system , questions to email@example.com
- Deadline: December 1, 2020
- [Dec. 30] Any news on this search? --> haven't heard anything.
- [Jan. 03] I haven't heard anything either. +2
- [Jan 06] Invitation to Skype interview
- [Jan 06] When did you receive invitation?
- Did the invitation to interview come through e-mail or the application portal? Just curious? +1
- Over e-mail, late December
- [Jan 29] Zoom campus visits in progress
- [22 March] Rejection received
Georgia Tech (USA: GA) - [Senior Hire] SEARCH CANCELLED
- Associate or full professor
- Any subfield of the history of technology
- "Candidates with transnational or global interests, or who study areas outside the United States, are especially encouraged to apply."
- Documentation requirements: letter of application, curriculum vita, writing samples, list of three references.
- Applications through Georgia Career Hub
- Deadline: January 1, 2021
- "Thank you for your interest in the Kranzberg Professorship. Unfortunately, we have had to curtail our search this year, due to continuing uncertainties associated with the pandemic." [27 January]
- Apparently they only realized after the January 1 deadline that there was a worldwide pandemic...