Back to: History 2020-21
Last Year's Page: History of Sci Tech & Med 2019-20
When posting new jobs:
- Follow the format of existing post
- Use the 'Preview' button to check for errors before hitting 'Publish'
- Include a link to the original advert in the heading.
- When posting new jobs, use Heading 2 for new categories, and Heading 3 for jobs.
- Add entries in alphabetical order. (Note that "University of X" should be alphabetized by U as first sort, and X as second sort within the U listings)
- Our users come from all over the world - please use unambiguous dating systems when posting.
- Be aware of the T&C of the wiki relating to personal data when discussing candidates/job talks etc.
- If you are deleting information from the page use the 'Edit Summary' box to explain why you are doing so - this helps the mods tell the difference between page vandals and legit. edits.
- 1 RECENT ACTIVITY (RSS FEED)
- 2 Open/Mixed
- 2.1 Simon Fraser University (CAN: BC)
- 2.2 Tyumen State University, School of Advanced Studies (Russia) - open-rank, limited-term (1 or 3 years), renewable
- 2.3 Università Ca' Foscari Venezia (ITL) - non-TT
- 2.4 University of Alberta (CAN)
- 2.5 University of Chicago (USA:IL)
- 2.6 Rice University (USA:TX) - Senior Hire
- 2.7 Texas A&M University, Commerce (USA:TX) - Ancient/Early Modern Med.
- 3 Medicine
- 4 Science
- 5 Technology
RECENT ACTIVITY (RSS FEED)[edit | edit source]
Recent Edits <rss>http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/History_of_Science_Technology_Medicine_2020-21?feed=rss&action=history%7Ccharset=UTF-8%7Cshort%7Cmax=7</rss>
Subscribe to RSS feed for this page: http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/History_of_Science_Technology_Medicine_2020-21?feed=rss&action=history
Open/Mixed[edit | edit source]
- Tenure-Track Assistant Professorship in the area of Critical Algorithm Studies, to begin September 1, 2021.
- Areas of research and teaching may include, but are not limited to, critical data studies; social implications of data systems and infrastructures; algorithmic bias; politics of content moderation; science and technology studies; intersectional analyses of digital labour; and platform studies. We especially welcome scholars who engage with Indigenous studies, Black studies, intersectional feminisms, decolonization and postcolonial studies, queer theory, trans studies, disability studies, critical race/ethnic studies, and transcultural and global studies. We are open to a range of approaches, including qualitative, quantitative, digital methods, and/or applied practices (e.g. creative interventions, data visceralization, community-led design), or a combination of approaches.
- Candidates are expected to have a completed Ph.D. (or Ph.D. near completion) in Communication, Media Studies, or a related discipline.
- Review begins: 15 Nov. 2020. Applications to be submitted to Brenda Baldwin, Director's Assistant, at email@example.com.
Tyumen State University, School of Advanced Studies (Russia) - open-rank, limited-term (1 or 3 years), renewable[edit | edit source]
- SAS is recruiting new professors (open rank) in cultural studies, history (in particular, history of technology), film and media studies and production, psychology, sociology, economics, higher education, IT and system analysis, and mathematics (quantitative reasoning, data analysis and statistics).
- SAS is a growing interdisciplinary research center and educational institution (BA/MA) at the Tyumen State University, which opened in 2017 to serve as a benchmark for universities across Russia. SAS operates in English and currently employs 29 full-time faculty from 17 countries, most of whom received their PhDs from universities top-ranked globally.
- SAS offers either one-year or three-year renewable faculty appointments starting August 2021, pays competitive salaries, provides health insurance and research allowance. Suitable and interested candidates might be offered an initial visiting professor appointment in the Spring 2021. Preliminary interviews will be conducted online; short-listed candidates will be invited for a campus visit.
- Review begins: 10 Nov. 2020. Please, apply with your CV and a cover letter specifying the candidate’s desired role in SAS research and teaching environment as well as three letters of recommendation sent separately. Please, direct all materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Note from the poster: This is a legit place and search (check out their list of faculty: https://sas.utmn.ru/en/people-en/). As of the time of posting, the recruitment page is still for 2019 (so, don't get confused by the wrong deadline); this ad is made from the announcement by the SAS director (https://www.facebook.com/shcherbenok/posts/10221035839498324).
Università Ca' Foscari Venezia (ITL) - non-TT [edit | edit source]
- Assistant Professor in the area of History of Science and Technology
- The assistant professor will carry out research aimed at analysing history of early-modern geology, its connection with cosmology and cosmography, and the function of natural knowledge for the transformation of the world, especially in relation to geo-environmental management and hydroengineering.
- Read the call here: https://www.unive.it/data/38002/?id=2020-UNVE000-0052179
- Deadline: 29 Oct. 2020
- Tenure-track Assistant Professorship in the area of Science, Technology and Society Studies.
- This position will be cross-appointed between Media and Technology Studies and one other department in the Faculty of Arts.
- Applicants should hold a PhD or have a strong expectation of completing the PhD before July 1, 2021. They will have an emergent teaching and research/publication record relevant to the field. They will propose an innovative program of research in the broad area of Science, Technology, and Society (STS) and outline how it complements existing areas of scholarly and pedagogical strength in the Faculty’s interdisciplinary Media and Technology Studies unit and beyond.
- We seek applications from persons qualified to undertake teaching and research in one or more of the following areas: Anthropology of science and technology; History of science and technology; Mediating science and technology; Philosophy of science and technology.
- Apply online: https://www.careers.ualberta.ca/Competition/A111742599/
- Review begins: 1 Nov. 2020 Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
- Tenure-track, beginning assistant professorship in the History of Science to start on or after July 1, 2021.
- The specific geographic area and period are open, and fields of study including life, physical, social, and technological sciences will be considered.
- Candidates must have earned the PhD degree prior to the start of the appointment
- Applicants must apply online at the University of Chicago’s Interfolio website at http://apply.interfolio.com/80134 and include 1) a cover letter, 2) a curriculum vitae, 3) a research statement, 4) a teaching statement, 5) dissertation abstract, 6) an article or chapter-length writing sample, and 7) three letters of reference
- Review begins: 1 Dec. 2020 and continues until position filled
Rice University (USA:TX) - Senior Hire[edit | edit source]
- Baker College Chair (Associate or Full professor) for the History of Science, Technology and Innovation, to begin Jul. 2021
- The Baker College Chair will be a notable scholar whose scholarship and teaching deal with innovative topics in the history of science and technology, broadly defined, and who is committed to excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, and local, national, and international outreach. Area of specialization, regional competencies, and time period are open. The Baker College Chair will have an active research program, be expected to play an important role in undergraduate and, as appropriate, graduate programs in the department, and offer courses of interest to Rice students majoring in the humanities and STEM fields
- Only electronic applications will be accepted, via the Rice University RICEWorks website: https://jobs.rice.edu/postings/24233
- Review begins: 15 Oct 2020 - for full consideration: 15 Nov. 2020
Texas A&M University, Commerce (USA:TX) - Ancient/Early Modern Med.[edit | edit source]
- Tenure track assistant professorship in Ancient/Early Modern Mediterranean History, to begin Aug. 2021, with pref. for History of Science and Medicine.
- See full posting (link above) at World/Global/Transnational_History_2020-21
Medicine[edit | edit source]
- Tenure track assistant or associate professorship in the History of Medicine
- PhD must have been defended by 1 July, 2020
- "The Department is committed to broadening the history of health and medicine, and seeks new colleagues who address areas not covered by existing faculty, specifically in the areas of pre-modern medicine, health, and healing before 1800, and in medicine, health and healing in East Asia, Southeast Asia, South Asia, the Middle East, Africa, or other geographical areas which would extend the reach of our Department."
- Document requirements: a letter of application, C.V., statement of research interests, a sample syllabus, a chapter-length writing sample, and three letters of reference
- Deadline: 15 Nov 2020 via Interfolio submission
Sam Houston State University (USA:TX) - [Non-TT][edit | edit source]
- Visiting Assistant Professor in the History of Medicine, to begin Fall 2021
- Period and geographic specialization are open. We prefer candidates who specialize in diseases, gender and medicine, or colonial medicine, and whose work maps onto one of the thematic tracks organizing the department’s M.A. program: (1) Rights & Identity; (2) War & Violence; and (3) Encounters & Exchanges.
- PhD must be in hand before start date
- Teaching Load: 4/4 "Online teaching experience is a plus. Teaching responsibilities include undergraduate and graduate courses (face-to-face and online) in History of Medicine, as well as the World History survey."
- To apply, upload to http://shsu.peopleadmin.com/postings/25323 a letter of application, addressed to Dr. Pınar Emiralioğlu, Chair of the History of Medicine Search Committee; a curriculum vitae; unofficial graduate transcripts (official transcripts of all post-secondary education will be required of all finalists prior to on-campus interviews); a diversity and inclusion statement, specifically addressing your qualifications and strategy for engaging all students at SHSU; a writing sample of chapter length; three sample syllabi (one undergraduate course on World History since 1500, one undergraduate course on History of Medicine and one online graduate course in History of Medicine, uploaded to the Teaching Portfolio link); and three letters of recommendation. If a candidate has not completed the doctorate, one letter must be from the candidate’s advisor, addressing the state of the dissertation
- Review begins: 4 Jan. 2021 and continues until position filled.
- Tenure track assistant professorship in the History of Medicine
- PhD must be in hand by 30 Jul. 2020
- The chronological and geographical range are open but we especially welcome candidates whose work includes a transnational or global dimension, who are interested in the technological and material aspects of medical practice, broadly construed, and who think in an integrated way about the history of science, technology and medicine and their place in a history department.
- All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply online at https://recruit.apo.ucla.edu/JPF05504 to upload their information for this position. This position is subject to final administrative approval.
- Document requirements: Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V, Cover Letter, Statement of Research (Optional), Statement of Teaching (Optional), Statement on Contributions to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion - An EDI Statement describes a faculty candidate’s past, present, and future (planned) contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion, Writing Sample, Sample Syllabi. Reference requirements: 3-5 letters of reference required
- Deadline: 31 Aug. 2020
- [27 Jul.] Received an automated email saying the search was postponed for at least a year. Followed up and confirmed with a department Admin.
- [25 Aug.] I can confirm that. The search was canceled and they don't know when they will get a line approved again. I just wish I had seen this earlier.
Science[edit | edit source]
McMaster University (CAN) - Science Communication[edit | edit source]
NB: although this post makes no mention of History of Science as an area of interest it has been repeatedly reposted here and does mention STS, so I'm leaving it in place. AFII (talk) 09:31, July 23, 2020 (UTC)
- Tenure track Assistant or Associate Professor in Science Communication
- We wish to recruit a scholar whose research program addresses questions on the impact of science literacy on society, public engagement, news and media discourse and/or policy development with a focus on science communication. Applicants are invited from science and technology studies, communication and media studies, digital humanities, biomedical knowledge translation and related fields. The candidate must have demonstrated research and teaching expertise in relevant fields, be capable of establishing a vibrant extramurally funded research program to illuminate and inform the work of the School, hold a PhD at the time of appointment and have relevant professional experience in science communication.
- The successful applicant is expected to engage undergraduate and graduate students in the classroom and research to develop novel pedagogical approaches that integrate science communication with the course content. In addition, they are also expected to contribute to administrative and teaching duties associated with a planned Masters in Science Communication program.
- Document requirements: a cover letter, curriculum vitae (including a list of relevant works related to science communication), a demonstration of professional experience in the appropriate field, a statement of teaching philosophy, a diversity statement describing your commitment to and demonstrated experience advancing equity, diversity and inclusion in post-secondary education, community-based or other professional settings, and the names of three references with contact information to be used for short-listed candidates.
- Applications must be made online at https://hr.mcmaster.ca/careers (Faculty Positions, Job ID 30030) to the attention of Dr. Ana Campos, Director, School of Interdisciplinary Science, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, L8S 4K1.
- Deadline: 1 Aug. 2020
- [Sept. 14] Recieved rejection e-mail.
Technology[edit | edit source]
- Tenure track assistant professorship in history of technology
- “Exceptionally well-qualified applicants at higher levels may also be considered”
- “Able to handle technical, cultural, and economic aspects of the subject, including connections to the history of science”
- Documentation requirements: cover letter, CV, research statement, teaching statement, diversity and inclusion statement, writing sample, and three letters of recommendation
- Applications through Caltech’s online system , questions to email@example.com
- Deadline: December 1, 2020