Last year's page: History of Science, Technology and Medicine 2014-15
When posting new jobs, please use Heading 2 for new categories, and Heading 3 for jobs
Please follow the format of existing entries as closely as possible.
Please add entries in alphabetical order. Note that "University of X" should be alphabetized by U as first sort, and X as second sort within the U listings.
- 1 RECENT ACTIVITY (RSS FEED)
- 2 Mixed/Open Specialty
- 2.1 Aarhus University (DK) - [Senior Hire] History of Sci/Tech, STS
- 2.2 California State University, Channel Islands (USA: CA)- Health Sciences- Specialization in Medical Informatics
- 2.3 California State University (USA:CA) - Sustainability
- 2.4 Carnegie Mellon University (USA:PA) - [non-TT; VAP] HSTM and/or STS
- 2.5 Harvard University (USA:MA) - Pre-Modern or Early Modern HSTM
- 2.6 Idaho State University (USA:ID) - [non-TT] Pre-modern World or European
- 2.7 Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KOR) - STS
- 2.8 Massachusetts Institute of Technology (USA: MA) - Open Rank - Program in Science, Technology, and Society
- 2.9 Mississippi State University (USA:MS) - US Womens with Hist Sci/Tech
- 2.10 Mississippi State University (USA:MS) - Modern Europe with Hist Sci/Tech/Med
- 2.11 National University of Singapore (SGP) - STS
- 2.12 New York University (USA: NY) - Senior Hire - History or Philosophy of Technology
- 2.13 Rochester Institute of Technology (USA:NY) - Sci & Tech Policy
- 2.14 Southern Connecticut State University (USA:CT) - US Colonial/Antebellum with Hist Sci & Tech
- 2.15 University of California, Riverside / Huntington Library (USA: CA) - Pref. Long 18th C/Hist & Cultures of Science
- 2.16 University of Cambridge (UK) - hist STM before 1800
- 2.17 University of Copenhagen (DNK) - History & Philosophy of Science
- 2.18 University of California, Davis (USA: CA) - TT Asst. Professor - Software, Computing, and Technoculture
- 2.19 University of Exeter (UK) - Medical Humanities, 2 positions
- 2.20 University of Freiburg (DEU) - [non-tt] Sci & Tech Studies
- 2.21 University of Liverpool (UK) - [complicated status]
- 2.22 University of Minnesota - Minneapolis (USA:MN) [non-tt;VAP]
- 2.23 University of Notre Dame (USA:IN) - [Non-TT, admin]
- 2.24 University of Sheffield (UK) - [non-tt;~VAP]
- 2.25 University of Waterloo (CAN: ON) - post-1800 Global (pref. Hist. of Sci/Tech)
- 2.26 University of Westminster (UK) - [Senior Hire]
- 2.27 University of York (UK) - [Senior Hire] Science & Tech Studies
- 3 History of Medicine
- 3.1 Nazarbayev University (KAZ) - Hist Medicine, Public Health and/or Environmental History
- 3.2 University of Kent, Canterbury (UK)
- 3.3 University of Nebraska - Lincoln (USA:NE) - Senior Hire
- 3.4 University of Strathclyde (UK:Scot) - [non-TT] post-1800
- 3.5 Washington University in St. Louis (USA: MO)
- 4 History of Science
- 5 History of Technology
RECENT ACTIVITY (RSS FEED)
Subscribe to RSS feed for this page: http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/History_of_Science,_Technology,_and_Medicine_2015-2016?feed=rss&action=history
Aarhus University (DK) - [Senior Hire] History of Sci/Tech, STS
- The Centre for Science Studies invites applications for the position of full professor or associate professor (depending on the qualifications of the successful candidate) in science studies
- We seek applicants with academic expertise in either one or several of the following areas: history of science, technology, or mathematics, philosophy of science, science communication, or related areas.
- The Centre for Science Studies is placed within the Department of Mathematics, Faculty of Science and Technology. The centre ranks as one of the major centres for the history and philosophy of science, technology, and mathematics in Europe. For more information about the Centre, please see: www.css.au.dk/en.
- The application must be in English and include a curriculum vitae, degree certificate, a complete list of publications, a statement of future research plans and information about research activities, teaching portfolio and verified information on previous teaching experience (if any).
- Apply at: www.peoplexs.com
- All applications must be submitted online on 15 October 2015 at the latest.
California State University, Channel Islands (USA: CA)- Health Sciences- Specialization in Medical Informatics
- Assistant Professor position
- University culture emphasizes Interdisciplinary, international work, and community-based research
- Deadline: 2 Nov. 2015.
- Also posted at Communication and Media Studies 2015-2016
California State University (USA:CA) - Sustainability
- Position in the History of Sustainability, possible preference for History of Science, Technology and Medicine.
- See full posting (link above) at Non-Geographic/Methodologically Oriented History 2015-16
Carnegie Mellon University (USA:PA) - [non-TT; VAP] HSTM and/or STS
- One year Visiting Assistant Professorship in the History of Science, Technology & Medicine and/or STS, 1 Aug-2016-31 Jul 2017
- Teaching Load: 2/2 including at least one broad introduction to the history and/or social studies of science and technology
- PhD must be in hand by 30 June 2016
- This position may be renewable for up to one additional year pending departmental approval and availability of sufficient funding to do so.
- Please send letter of application (including information about previous teaching experience); full CV; graduate transcript; a single writing sample the equivalent of 60 or fewer double-spaced manuscript pages; and three letters of reference to HST/STS Search Committee, Department of History, Carnegie Mellon University by email via the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org. All questions should be sent to this email address as well
- Deadline: 31 Jan. 2016.
- Skype Interviews Scheduled [2/10]
Harvard University (USA:MA) - Pre-Modern or Early Modern HSTM
- Tenure track assistant professorship in Pre-Modern or Early Modern Science or Medicine, to begin 1 July 2016
- PhD must be in hand by start date
- The Department is especially interested in candidates who show exceptional promise as scholars, teachers, and mentors, and can offer broad courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels that will complement those of the current faculty
- Applications should include a curriculum vitae, an outline of present scholarly projects and future plans, a statement of teaching experience and apporach, a writing sample, and the names and contact details of three persons who will write letters of recommendation. All materials should be submitted directly to the Harvard academic positions site at https://academicpositions.harvard.edu/postings/6420.
- Deadline: 16 Nov. 2015.
- Any noise? x2
- I got an email before Thanksgiving about soliciting letters, but maybe all applicants go that email? x2
- No, not all applicants got that email. In fact, you can log in to the application website, look at "my applications", and under "recommendation requests" you can see whether recommendations were solicited and/or received from each of your references.
- [13 Jan] Any further movement on this one?
- What the hell's going on here? This search has to be advanced or cancelled by now and we just aren't hearing it, right? Anyone have another thesis? 1.21
- [21 Jan] No news, no letters solicited, and no sign of upcoming talks that might be job talks on website
- I was contacted for and had a Skype interview in mid-December. They said campus visits would be made after Harvard returned to session (late January/early February).
- [20 Jan] Campus invitation received.
Idaho State University (USA:ID) - [non-TT] Pre-modern World or European
- 9-month Assistant Lectureship in History, to begin Aug. 2016
- PhD preferred, ABD considered; expertise in Pre-modern world or European history
- Preference for people who can contribute "in fields of energy, environment, or health"
- Responsibilities include: develop courses and teach in distance learning, lecture, and on-line formats; offer advanced courses in lecturer's field; advise students.
- Deadline 25 Mar. 2016
- Tenure track faculty position(s) in Science & Technology policy, to begin 'as early as March 2016'
- This search is open to all fields of science & technology policy. These include, but are not limited to, energy policy, nuclear policy, Internet policy, disaster policy, R&D policy, S&T workforce policy, science and law, science communication, and science diplomacy/ODA. We are seeking highly qualified candidates trained in political science, economics, sociology, law, anthropology, geography, or science and technology studies (STS).
- PhD must be in hand by start date
- To be considered for this position, please send the following application materials by e-mail (email@example.com): 1. A cover letter with research and teaching interests; 2. Curriculum Vitae; 3. One or two writing samples (e.g., publications or dissertation chapters); 4. List of three referees. Questions may be addressed to Professor Chihyung Jeon, Search Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org. For information about STP, please visit http://stp.kaist.ac.kr.
- Review begins: 28 Sept. 2015 and continues until position filled
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (USA: MA) - Open Rank - Program in Science, Technology, and Society
- MIT's Program in Science, Technology, and Society invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position, at a rank of assistant, associate, or full professor.
- We seek an STS scholar with expertise in one or more of the following research areas: (1) science, technology, and society in Africa, Latin America, and/or Asia; (2) science, technology, and public policy and/or security.
- Candidates must hold a Ph.D by the start of employment. The offer is contingent upon completion of the degree by the start date of employment. Candidates must be able to demonstrate excellence in research and teaching.
- The appointment is anticipated to begin in academic year 2016-2017.
- Apply at: http://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/5946
- Applications will be reviewed beginning October 15, 2015.
- Anyone heard anything on this one?
- Three job talks (one for each specialty area) in the past 7 days. All junior scholars.
Mississippi State University (USA:MS) - US Womens with Hist Sci/Tech
- Tenure track assistant professorship at the intersection of US Womens History and History of Science, Technology and Medicine
- See full posting (link above) on North American History 2015-16 page.
Mississippi State University (USA:MS) - Modern Europe with Hist Sci/Tech/Med
- Tenure track assistant professorship in the history of Modern Europe and Sci/Tech/Med
- See full posting (link above) on European History 2015-16 page.
- Assistant Professorship (Science and Technology) to begin Jan 2017
- Successful candidates must have: A Ph.D. in Sociology or Anthropology from an internationally acclaimed institution at the time of appointment; A specialization in Science and Technology Studies; A strong track record and promising trajectory in research and publication, preferably with strong interest in Asian societies; Excellent communication skills and dedication to academic teaching excellence and collegiality.
- Applications should include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, a research and teaching statement, evidence of teaching effectiveness, names and contact details for three references, and application form (duly completed - http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/soc/Personal Particulars & Data Consent Forms.pdf). Please submit your application in a single PDF file and do not include any writing samples. Send applications to: Chair, Search Committee c/o Ms Jane Ong at email@example.com.
- Deadline: 1 Jun. 2016
- New York University’s Polytechnic School of Engineering invites nominations and applications for the position of the Dibner Chair in History or Philosophy of Technology, broadly defined.
- Qualified candidates will be scholars of international repute with a distinguished record of published research in history of technology, philosophy of technology, or science and technology studies, broadly defined, with fields in one or more of the following subject areas: history, theory and philosophy of the interactions of machines and humanity, and/or the biome, and/or urban technology studies, and/or citizen science initiatives, or arts and digital technology, or another area of arts or humanities related to engineering and technology.
- Applicants should: (1) have an accomplished research background in humanistic approaches to technology and science; (2) be willing to lead the development of a top-ranked program in Technology Studies, uniquely located within the School of Engineering of a major university; (3) be committed to excellence in teaching and mentoring; (4) demonstrate a record of collaborative and interdisciplinary scholarly work; and( 5) possess outstanding intellectual leadership. The NYU Polytechnic School of Engineering is building New York City's leading technological institution in the exciting Brooklyn Tech Triangle, one of the premier locations for technological development in the United States.
- Apply at: www.nyuopsearch.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=52574
- Open until filled.
- So many senior hires this year.
Rochester Institute of Technology (USA:NY) - Sci & Tech Policy
- Tenure Track Assistant or Associate Professorship
- The area of specialization is open but the successful candidate should demonstrate a clear interest in science and technology policy issues. The successful candidate will demonstrate effective teaching potential in the public policy curriculum; a strong research potential; and, potential for service to the university and community. Candidates with backgrounds that integrate science and engineering fields with the social sciences and humanities are encouraged to apply. A Ph.D. or equivalent terminal degree, in an appropriate field, is required prior to the position start date.
- Apply online at http://careers.rit.edu/faculty , search openings, then Keyword Search: 2041BR.
- Please submit: your curriculum vitae, cover letter addressing the listed qualifications and upload the following attachments: A description of your teaching philosophy, Your research agenda, One sample publication, The names, addresses and phone numbers for three references, Contribution to Diversity Statement
- Review begins: 6 Nov. 2015
Southern Connecticut State University (USA:CT) - US Colonial/Antebellum with Hist Sci & Tech
- Assitant Professorship in US History, with Hist Sci & Tech
- See full posting (link above) at North American History 2015-16
- SHORT deadline: 30 Nov. 2015
- EXTENDED deadline: 10 Dec. 2015
- For questions contact Department Chair, Dr. Troy Paddock (firstname.lastname@example.org)
University of California, Riverside / Huntington Library (USA: CA) - Pref. Long 18th C/Hist & Cultures of Science
- Two beginning Assistant Professors to be appointed in departments of Art History, English or HIstory to engage with The Huntingtons collections, to begin 30 Jun. 2016
- Scholars whose research investigates the Long Eighteenth-Century or the History and/or Cultures of Science, are particularly encouraged to apply in these areas of great strength in The Huntington Collections.
- PhD must be in hand by start date.
- During their first five years of employment, the appointees to these positions will receive two years of full-time research fellowship in residence at The Huntington, with approval of the second year contingent on adequate research and publication progress by the appointee.
- Advancement through the faculty ranks at the University of California is through a series of structured, merit-based evaluations, occurring every 2-3 years, each of which includes substantial peer input.
- Applicants must use UCRs online portal at https://aprecruit.ucr.edu/apply/JPF00444 to submit the following material: cover letter; curriculum vitae; evidence of teaching experience and excellence; the names of three referees familiar with the candidates academic qualifications; a three-page statement articulating their interest in Huntington collections; and a writing sample or publication. Inquiries should be addressed to: Professor Steven Hackel, Chair, Huntington/UCR Search Committee, College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences, University of California, Riverside, at email@example.com.
- Review of applications will begin on 30 Nov. 2015.
- [15 Jan] request for skype interview
- [5 Feb] 7 candidates invited for campus interviews starting later this month
- Given the distinct nature of the search, are these talks public? If so, are the details posted anywhere?
- The first of these talks (which, indeed, is public) has been announced for next week- I anticipate that the others will similarly roll out over the course of the next few weeks.
University of Cambridge (UK) - hist STM before 1800
- Lecturer (~tenured assoc prof) in the History of Science, Technology and Medicine before 1800, to begin 1 SEpt. 2016 or as soon as possible threafter
- Responsibilities will include contributing to all aspects of undergraduate and graduate teaching, supervising and examining, leading research work in early science, medicine and technology, and various administrative duties for the Department.
- Applicants must hold a PhD (or equivalent) and have an outstanding record of excellence in teaching, research and publication in this area. The Department offers an exceptionally stimulating and supportive interdisciplinary research environment and the opportunity to develop undergraduate and graduate teaching in the post-holder's areas of expertise.
- Further particulars and information on how to apply are available at: www.hps.cam.ac.uk
- To apply online for this vacancy, please click here. This will route you to the University's Web Recruitment System, where you will need to register an account (if you have not already) and log in before completing the online application form.
- Applicants are able to upload a maximum of 3 three documents. These should be arranged as follows: 1.) cover letter, curriculum vitae and full list of publications combined into one document. Please include weblinks or doi's for your publications, where possible, 2.) details of teaching experience and research interests, 3.) three samples of recent work. If you are unable to upload your work samples, please email these as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org, ensuring that you include your surname in email subject line and in the file names. Any further queries regarding this position can be addressed to email@example.com. Please quote reference JN07442 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
- deadline: 1 Feb. 2016
- Job talks and informal meetings: 19, 20 and 21 April 2016
- [10 Feb] These searches tend to move fast. Any news yet?
- [26 Feb] I assume by now the shortlisted candidates have been contacted, right?
- 26 Feb: rejection email received, i.e. longlist has been made and no doubt contacted shortly. No indication of number of applicants.
- [4 Apr] job talks have been announced: relatively senior shortlist (Uni of Bologna before 2000) (Uni of Cambridge c.2000), (Oxford Uni, 2006), (Harvard, 2009).
- [5 May] hire made, Harvard (2009).
University of Copenhagen (DNK) - History & Philosophy of Science
- Full Professorship in the History & Philosophy of Science, to begin 1 Mar. 2016 or as soon as possible thereafter
- Applicants must document a strong international research record within history and philosophy of the natural sciences (including mathematics), preferably with a specialization within areas of relevance to scientific practice and/or to science education (e.g. philosophy of science in practice, socially relevant philosophy of science, integrated history and philosophy of science, or similar).
- Applicants are required to have university level teaching experience, documented teaching competencies and must be able to explain and reflect upon own teaching practice and portfolio. Formal pedagogical training or supervision equivalent to the University of Copenhagen teacher training programme for assistant professors is required. Teaching duties include courses in history and philosophy of science at a broad range of natural science programs offered at the Faculty of Science, especially mandatory courses in philosophy of science tailored to BSc programs in the natural sciences as well as courses in history and philosophy of science for science students aiming for careers in science teaching. The submitted teaching portfolio must include reflections on the possible roles of history and philosophy of science in science education at various levels and on how to teach history and philosophy to science students.
- The application including all attachments must be in English and submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW . Please include: Curriculum vitae including information about external funding; Diplomas (Master and PhD degree or equivalent); Research plan – description of current and future research plans - including a short description (1-2 pages) of the applicant’s visions for a science studies unit situated at a Faculty of Science; Description and documentation of teaching experience and qualifications according to university guidelines; Complete publication list; Separate reprints of 5 particularly relevant papers
- Deadline: 22 Nov. 2015
University of California, Davis (USA: CA) - TT Asst. Professor - Software, Computing, and Technoculture
- Tenure-track assistant or advanced assistant professor in Software, Computing, and Technoculture.
- The appointee will join a growing interdisciplinary team of researchers engaged in collaborative work on media ecologies and digital humanities. Applicants should have expertise in computational media, software studies, critical code studies, computer-age technoculture, and/or the history of computing.
- A Ph.D. in either the history of science, science and technology studies, media studies, cultural studies, American studies, literary studies, communication, anthropology, or a related field with a strong emphasis on computational technologies and digital humanities should be completed or near completion by September 19, 2016. Evidence of excellence in scholarship is required.
- Experience working in a collaborative environment is desired. Applicants should demonstrate clear commitment to undergraduate education and the promise of excellent teaching at the graduate level. Appointment will be in one or more of the following departments depending on the candidate’s background: Science and Technology Studies, Cinema and Digital Media, or English, with possible cross-appointments. Applicants should be prepared to teach undergraduate and graduate courses in the department(s) of appointment.
- This recruitment is conducted at the assistant rank. The resulting hire will be at the assistant rank, regardless of the proposed appointee's qualifications. We strongly encourage candidates to complete the "Statement of Contributions to Diversity."
- Apply at: https://recruit.ucdavis.edu/apply/JPF00669
- Applications must be received by 15 Oct. 2015.
- Also posted at New Media and Digital Humanities 2016
University of Exeter (UK) - Medical Humanities, 2 positions
- 2 Lectureships (~tenured Asst/Assoc Prof) in Medical Humanities, to begin 1 Sept. 2016
- We are seeking applicants who can enhance and extend our research strengths in a variety of interdisciplinary areas, including (but not limited to): the cultural contexts of health and well-being in the past and present; health across the life-course; individual and collective narratives of health and disease; cross-cultural studies of mental health; arts-based approaches to health-care; sexual identities, sexual knowledge and health; literary studies; art, aesthetics and creativity; interlinkages between natural, built and workplace environments and health; spatial and temporal patterns of health and disease; global health challenges; uses of the past; the value of the medical humanities in developing and evaluating health-care policies; and integrating qualitative and quantitative research methods. We are currently working with the World Health Organization (WHO Europe) to work collaboratively on culture and health across the European Region, including interdisciplinary studies of measuring well-being, cultural mediation, mental health, and migration.
- The successful applicants will hold a PhD or equivalent in one or more disciplines within the medical humanities and have an independent, internationally-recognised research programme in an active field of research related or complementary to existing Exeter strengths. He/she will be able to demonstrate the following qualities and characteristics; a strong record in attracting research funding, or demonstrable potential to attract such funding, teamwork skills to work in collaboration with existing group members, an active and supportive approach to inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary research that will help to foster interactions and links both within the University and externally, the attitude and ability to engage in continuous professional development, the aptitude to develop familiarity with a variety of strategies to promote and assess learning and enthusiasm for delivering undergraduate programmes
- apply online
- Deadline: 14 Apr. 2016
- [25 Apr] Has anyone heard anything?
University of Freiburg (DEU) - [non-tt] Sci & Tech Studies
- Assistant Professorship (3 years in the first instance) in Science Studies or Science and Technology Studies
- teaching load: 4 hours/week per semester at the Faculty of Philosophy of the Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg and the Liberal Arts and Sciences Program (in English)
- Habilitation is possible in this position
- Requirements are: an outstanding dissertation in Science Studies / Science and Technology Studies (or with a focus on Science Studies, in a related discipline); very good command of German and English. The successful candidate is acquainted with methods and approaches from anthropology of science, social studies of science and/or history of science. He/She pursues an independent research project in Science Studies / Science and Technology Studies (anthropology, sociology, or history of science).
- If you have any questions with regard to the position please contact Prof. V. Lipphardt: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please submit your application including letter of application, CV, certificates, a letter of reference and project outline (of a maximum of 3 pages) as well as a chapter of your dissertation/an essay to email@example.com
- Deadline: 15 Jan. 2016
University of Liverpool (UK) - [complicated status]
- Seeking co-applicants for a Wellcome Trust University Award in Medical Humanities - if successful these guarantee a tenured position to the applicant at the lecturer/senior lecturer (~asst/assoc or assoc/full prof) level.
- We are particularly interested in candidates with expertise in the following areas:
- The Political Economy of Health: the impact of economic and political change on human and environmental health
- Population and Public Health: health demography, health inequalities, the relationship between individual and community health
- A Radical Politics of Health: bioethics, biopolitics, contested health and activism, violence, trauma and slavery
- Space, Place and Time: from ancient histories to imagined futures, the intersection of psychological and cultural factors on health expectations and experiences
- Expressions of interest, along with your CV, should be submitted to Professor Sally Sheard (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Deadline: 5pm (local time) 11 Dec. 2015
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis (USA:MN) [non-tt;VAP]
- Two year Assistant Professorship in the History of Science, & Technology, to begin 29 Aug. 2016
- Phd must be in hand by 1 Aug.
- The appointee will be expected to teach undergraduate courses in Technology and American Culture - HSCI 3331 and Ethics in Science and Technology - HSCI 3401 (these two courses often have a small number of graduate students), plus an upper division course in the history of technology or science that would complement the existing course schedule https://www.hstm.umn.edu/undergraduate/courses-offered. The appointee will also be expected to be an active member of the HSTM program and provide advice to graduate students in the history of technology.
- Applicants must complete an online application using the University of Minnesota’s online employment system here: http://z.umn.edu/14sr.
- Required Documents (submitted online): Curriculum Vitae; Cover Letter; Statement of Teaching and Research Interests; Sample publications or writings. In addition to the materials submitted with the online application, candidates must provide three letters of reference, to be sent by email directly from the reference to the search committee at email@example.com
- Review begins: 13 May 2016 and position is open until filled
University of Notre Dame (USA:IN) - [Non-TT, admin]
- Assistant Director for Education, Reilly Center
- This position supports the Directors of the History and Philosophy of Science Graduate Program (HPS) and GLOBES Graduate Certificate Program in Environment and Society with normal program functioning, supervises the Center’s Undergraduate Program Coordinator, and provides teaching for Reilly Center programs. These responsibilities are broken down as follows: Assistant Director, HPS – 40%; Assistant Director, GLOBES – 40%; Teaching one course per semester, mainly in the Science,Technology, and Values program, including the STV core course, as well as contributions to HPS supervision and GLOBES modules – 20%; Supervising the Undergraduate Program Coordinator – as needed
- Background/skills required:PhD in HPS/STS-related discipline prefered; background in science (especially biology) an asset; excellent administrative, written, verbal communication skills; excellent interpersonal skills for work in a team setting; grant management and budgeting skills; strong computer software skills including Word, Excel, website management, and aptitude for learning Notre Dame systems (Slate, eforms, etc.)
- Deadline: 27 May 2016
University of Sheffield (UK) - [non-tt;~VAP]
- 3 year lectureship (~Asst/Assoc Prof) in Medicine, Science & Technology, to begin 1 Sept.
- This is an ideal opportunity for a scholar with an outstanding publication record and excellent teaching ability to join one of the leading centres for historical research in the United Kingdom. You will have teaching and research strengths within the history of medicine, science, or technology and be a potential leader both in your subject and in the Department as a whole. You will help design and deliver teaching on undergraduate and postgraduate programmes, and will develop the Department’s research profile with high-quality publications and by attracting external research funding.
- You will be expected to be a collaborative and dynamic member of the Department’s research community and develop connections and synergies both with historians and with other research groupings and centres. You will also be expected to contribute to the Department’s presence within the Faculty of Arts and Humanities, the wider University and, through outreach and knowledge exchange, in Sheffield and beyond to develop and contribute to civic experience and cultural engagement in the City. The ability and willingness to play a leading role in Medical Humanities Sheffield (MHS) will be especially welcome.
- You will have a PhD in History or a related subject area (or have equivalent experience), proven teaching and leadership ability and the capacity to carry out high-quality research and to disseminate research findings effectively. The willingness to communicate to a variety of audiences beyond the purely academic is also essential for this position.
- Deadline: 10 Mar. 2016
- Tenure track assistant professorship for a candidate with an established research record in modern (post-1800) global/transnational history, to begin 1 July 2016
- Research interests in the history of science, technology, medicine, and the environment are particularly welcome, but applicants in other fields of study are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The successful applicant will be subsequently nominated for a Tier 2 Canada Research Chair. More information about the Canada Research Chairs program is available at: http://www.chairs-chaires.gc.ca
- Beyond the normal faculty responsibilities of undergraduate and graduate teaching, service, and maintaining an original and innovative research program, the successful candidate will encourage collaboration with scholars from across campus in related areas, and will develop and refine national and international networks.
- The salary range for this position is $78,000.00 - $110,000.00. Canadian citizens given preference.
- Applications should be submitted through the university’s job application system at https://artsonline.uwaterloo.ca/OFAS/HIST.
- Applications are due by 1 Nov. 2015
- Also posted at World/Global/Transnational History 2015-16
- has anyone heard from this job yet? [someone did, see posting in World/Global]
University of Westminster (UK) - [Senior Hire]
- Professorship (~tenured Full Prof+) in Modern History of Science and Innovation
- We seek to appoint a leading, internationally-recognised researcher in the field of the modern history of science and innovation. The successful applicant will pull together strands of research and practice from across the Faculty and the University and build a research strength in the modern historical evolution of scientific and technological development.
- We are seeking a high-calibre candidate, working at the intersection of historical, scientific and technological studies, with a record of internationally-acclaimed scholarship and who is able to forge new and exciting partnerships both within and outside the university
- Further information and how to apply can be seen found at http://www.perrettlaver.com/microsite/westminster/ All email or telephone enquiries, in the first instance, should be directed to Dr Massimiliano Fiore via firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0) 20 7340 6237. The remuneration and salary package will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
- Job reference number: 2381
- Deadline: 9am gmt 22 Feb. 2016
- Intend to interview weeks commencing 4th & 11th April
University of York (UK) - [Senior Hire] Science & Tech Studies
- Chair (Full Prof+) in Sociology/Science and Technology Studies
- You will be an exceptional scholar with an outstanding research track record in Sociology and/or Science and Technology Studies (STS). The Department has a long-standing reputation in the field of STS including work in areas such as social media, environment, history of science, and health, and this appointment seeks to advance our standing in these or related sociological fields
- Requirements: PhD (or equivalent) in Sociology (or related discipline); Outstanding and internationally recognised knowledge of STS; Proven leadership and managerial skills; Ability to define, lead, develop and attract funds for internationally excellent research, operating across disciplinary boundaries; Evidence of high quality research and published in leading peer-reviewed journals
- Informal enquiries may be directed to Professor Ellen Annandale or Professor Nik Brown, or alternatively for a confidential discussion contact Paul Ellison (Recruitment Adviser).
- Deadline: 13 Sept. 2015.
- Intend to interview 15 Oct.
History of Medicine
Nazarbayev University (KAZ) - Hist Medicine, Public Health and/or Environmental History
- Assistant professorship in the History of Medicine, Public Health and/or Environmental History, to begin Aug. 2016
- Contracts are for a period of three years and are renewable upon a positive review.
- Teaching Load: 2+2
- To apply, please send a letter of interest, current c.v., contact information of three referees, teaching evaluations, and a writing sample to email@example.com...More information about the school is available at http://shss.nu.edu.kz. Questions related to the position, the university, or living and working in Astana can be sent to Dr. Donald Leggett (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Deadline: 27 Nov. 2015
- Cross posted to Non-Geographic/Methodologically Oriented History 2015-16
- Lectureship (~tenured asst/assoc prof) in the History of Medicine, since 1750
- This post will see you teaching and convening undergraduate and postgraduate modules in medical history, contributing to curriculum development in these areas and supervising postgraduate students. You will be able to demonstrate an emerging record of international excellence in research and publication with evidence of guaranteed submission to REF 2020 of items likely to be graded 3* or 4*. Applications from those with research interests in, for example, the social and cultural history of war and medicine, mental health, history of emotions, gender and sexuality, medical ethics and law, medicine and the media, public and global health are particularly welcome.
- Please note - applications must be made via the University's online application system. You will be required to fill in the main details section of the application form as well as upload your CV and a summary document. Your summary should provide clear evidence and examples demonstrating where you meet the essential criteria for the post. We recommend a maximum of 4 x A4 sides for this document.
- Enquiries about the post should be addressed to Professor Ulf Schmidt at U.I.Schmidt@gre.ac.uk. If you require further information regarding the application process please contact Teresa Bubb, Resourcing Adviser, at T.C.Bubb@kent.ac.uk.
- Deadline: 25 Apr. 2016
- Intend to interview 20 May.
University of Nebraska - Lincoln (USA:NE) - Senior Hire
- Charles & Linda Wlson Chair - for Assitant or Full Professor - in the History of Medicine, to begin Aug. 2016
- The successful candidate will serve as the Wilson Professor in the History of Medicine and as the Director of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s Humanities in Medicine program. Scholars from any sub-field and any period in the history of medicine broadly are welcome to apply.
- The position requires a Ph.D., a demonstrated track record of excellent scholarship and teaching, as well as interest in leading an academic program.
- To be considered for the position, applicants must complete the Faculty/Administrative Information Form at http://employment.unl.edu, requisition F_150262, and upload a letter of application, curriculum vitae, and writing samples, and have three confidential letters of reference sent to Professor David Cahan, Chair, Search Committee, Department of History, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 612 Oldfather Hall, Lincoln, NE 68588-0327
- Review begins: 15 Jan. 2016 and continues until the position is filled.
- [29 Jan] Skype interviews scheduled for early next week.
University of Strathclyde (UK:Scot) - [non-TT] post-1800
- 3 year lectureship (~VAP) in the History of Health and Medicine since 1800
- The Centre seeks to attract an outstanding early career scholar to work in the CSHHH Glasgow. We are seeking candidates with growing reputations for excellence in research and teaching. They should be capable of contributing to existing undergraduate and postgraduate teaching programmes in the history of health and medicine. While this is a three-year appointment in the first instance, the Centre has a good track-record in securing external funding to develop post-doctoral careers and the successful candidate will be able to articulate plans in this direction.
- Applicants will have a good honours degree in a relevant subject, as well as a PhD in the History of Health and Medicine or a related field, or be near completion of their PhD. It is essential applicants have research interests in the relevant field and have a body of related high quality publications.
- The successful candidate will also have the opportunity to teach more widely within the History BA degree and at postgraduate level. History at Strathclyde has teaching pathways in 'Scotland and the World', in 'Peace, Conflict and Identity' and in 'Oral History, as well as in the History of Health and Medicine. It also provides world-leading training in the Scottish Oral History Centre (http://www.strath.ac.uk/humanities/research/sohc/). An ability to connect with one or more of these would be an advantage.
- Informal enquiries about the post can be directed to Professor Jim Mills, (email@example.com).
- Click here for full details.
- Deadline: 5 Jun. 2016
- intend to interview 16 June.
- Historian of medicine starting in the fall of 2016. The search is at the rank of tenure-track assistant professor.
- A PhD in the History of Medicine or a closely related field in hand by August 1, 2016 and evidence of scholarly potential are required.
- Area and chronological expertise are open.
- Please send a letter of application, c.v., and three letters of reference (under separate cover) via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or via postal mail to the Chair, History of Medicine Search Committee, Department of History, Washington University, 1 Brookings Dr., Campus Box 1062, St. Louis, MO 63130.
- Screening of applications will begin on October 16, 2015, and will continue until the position is filled.
- Is this the same position as advertised last year? Was it a failed search?
- Yes and Yes. How they managed to fail, given how many great candidates applied, I do not know.
- Is this the same position as advertised last year? Was it a failed search?
- [2 Nov.] Request for writing sample x 4
- [6 Nov] Got an e-mail telling me I didn't make the cut. It said there were over 80 applicatnts.
- [8 Nov] I haven't gotten any emails either way - wonder what that means?? (x2)
- [26 Nov] Any news from those who sent writing samples?
- Nothing here. Given that they have been following the same schedule as last year, I suspect that they will invite people for Skype interviews in about 1-2 weeks. (27 Nov)
- Sent writing sample, just received rejection. Good luck everybody! (Dec 4)
- [4 Dec] Request for Skype interview for next week. (x2)
- offer made and accepted
History of Science
Harvard University (USA:MA) - Modern or Contemporary Physics
- Tenure track assistant professorship in the History of Modern or Contemporary Physics, to begin 1 July 2016
- PhD must be in hand by start date
- Applications should include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, an outline of present scholarly projects and future plans, a statement of teaching experience and approach, a writing sample, and the names and contact details of three persons who will write letters of recommendation. All materials should be submitted directly to the Harvard academic positions site at academicpositions.harvard.edu/postings/6438
- Deadline: 23 Nov. 2015
Purdue University (USA:IN) - [Senior Hire]
- R. Mark Lubbers Chair in the History of Science
- The area of specialization and time period are open.
- Scholars with: a Ph.D. in history or the history of science; the rank of associate or full professor; a strong publication record and research agenda as well as exemplary teaching experience are encouraged to apply.
- The successful candidate will develop and teach undergraduate and graduate courses in the history of science, provide leadership for program development in the history of science, medicine, and technology, and contribute to the intellectual life of the department, College of Liberal Arts, and Purdue University.
- Send letters of nomination and applications to: R. Douglas Hurt, Head, Department of History, University Hall, 672 University Hall, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907. Inquiries should be directed by email to email@example.com or by phone to 765-494-4123.
- Review begins: 1 Dec. 2015 and continues until position filled.
- tenure-track position at the Assistant Professorship in the history of science, to begin July 1, 2016.
- In addition to contributing to the graduate program, the successful candidate will play a crucial role in the Science, Technology, and Society Program, a thriving undergraduate major administered through the department.
- Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, CV, statement of research, and the contact information for three individuals who have agreed to provide a letter of recommendation at http://facultysearches.provost.upenn.edu/postings/602. Recommenders will be contacted by the University with instructions on how to submit a letter to the website.
- Review of applications will begin 1 Oct. 2015, and continue until the position is filled.
- has anyone been contacted for more materials or interviews?
- If they had, they would probably post it. It's been less than a month, and they likely have hundreds of applications. Department seminar website suggests that the first job talks will be from late November, since there's a TBD speaker on the calendar.
- I would have thought they'd hold preliminary interviews at the HSS in San Francisco next week?
- [20 Nov]: At HSS, a friend reports that they have selected their first round of interviewees.
- [23 Nov]: Sorry, does this mean emails have gone out / they used HSS to narrow the search but haven't interviewed yet / there were formal interviews at HSS? Thanks
- [1 Dec] - 4 job talks posted on website.
- Thanks for the info. It looks like they were looking for people working on modern and contemporary topics.
- 2 offers made & accepted: Toronto (2014); Harvard (2014).
Yale University (USA:CT) - Senior Hire
- Senior tenured position in the History of Science, to begin 1 July 2016
- Preference will be given to historians who can play a leadership role in Yale’s renowned Program in the History of Science and Medicine (HSHM) and whose work extends beyond the Program’s current strengths in the twentieth-century United States. Candidates should expect to demonstrate exceptional qualities of scholarship, teaching, and University citizenship. Duties will include undergraduate and graduate teaching in HSHM.
- Applicants should send a curriculum vitae and a statement about their work and professional plans to Professor John Harley Warner, chair, History of Science Search Committee, c/o Barbara McKay, Department of History, Yale University, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at P.O. Box 208324, New Haven, CT 06520-8324.
- Review begins: 15 Oct. 2015
- [23 Nov] Any word on this? Writing requested? Interviews scheduled? (11/23)
- Interviews scheduled as of mid-December
History of Technology
Auburn University (USA:AL) - [non-tt; instructor]
- One year (with possibility of two further years) Instructor of History of Technology, to begin 16 Aug. 2016
- The appointee will be primarily responsible for teaching multiple sections of our two-term core undergraduate sequence in the history of technology, Technology and Civilization, but may also teach undergraduate courses in his/her areas of specialization depending on department need. The desired area of specialization within the history of technology is open, but those with expertise in non-US topics are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Ph.D. in History prior to employment date is desired, but outstanding candidates who are in the final stages of doctoral candidacy will be considered.
- To apply for this position, please visit https://aufacultypositions.peopleadmin.com/. Applicants will be required to attach a letter of application, graduate transcripts, vita, teaching portfolio, and the contact information for three recommendation writers.
- Review begins: 7 Mar. 2016 and continues until position filled.
- Tenure stream assistant professorship in the history of technology, to begin 1 July 2016
- PhD must be in hand by start date or 'shortly thereafter'.
- Link to Apply: https://utoronto.taleo.net/careersection/10050/jobdetail.ftl?job=1500725 Applications should include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a statement outlining current and future research interests, a statement of teaching philosophy, a sample of academic writing, and a teaching dossier. Applicants should also ask three referees to send letters directly to the Institute via e-mail to email@example.com by September 30, 2015.
- Submission guidelines can be found at: http://uoft.me/how-to-apply. We recommend combining documents into one or two files in PDF/MS Word format. If you have questions about this position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Deadline: 30 Sept. 2015
- Updates: (18 Nov) Anyone heard anything on this? We're over 6 weeks into the search, so I'm guessing they've contacted a long or shortlist by now, but I haven't heard a peep.
- I got a call last week because some of my rec letters hadn't arrived, and was told they would be officially deliberating as of Wed. 18 Nov. So despite the early deadline, we may still be another week or three from a long list.
- Skype interview scheduled 12 Dec (x2)
- Any news here? I suppose the on-campus interviews have been set by now.
- [27 Jan] Campus visit request