Application deadline: May 28, 2021
Start date: September 1, 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter
Duration: Post-doctoral fellowship for 36 months (max.) / PhD fellowship for 48 months (max.) / MA fellowship for 24 months (max.)
About the project[edit | edit source]
Conducted at Kadir Has University, Faculty of Communication under the direction of Dr. Rüstem Ertuğ Altınay, Staging National Abjection: Theatre and Politics in Turkey and Its Diasporas (STAGING-ABJECTION) is a five-year research project funded by the European Research Council’s (ERC) Starting Grants Program with a 1.5 million Euro grant. Combining the transdisciplinary approach of performance studies with a rigorous research program, the project aims to be one of the most comprehensive critical studies on minoritarian theatre practices in Turkey and its diasporas, and put Turkey on the map of global theatre studies. The project offers graduate fellowships (MA and PhD) and post- doctoral positions, beginning September 1, 2021. Further information on the project is available at https://cordis.europa.eu/project/id/852216
Eligibility[edit | edit source]
- Every candidate (MA, PhD or Post-doc) is expected to propose an individual research project related to the project.
- There are multiple positions available at each level and candidates may propose any topic related to the project. However, we also invite applicants specifically for: Post-doctoral positions: At least one researcher working on Armenian theatre and/or theatre productions involving Armenians after 1915; and at least one researcher working on Jewish theatre in Turkey and/or diasporic productions in Israel and Europe.
PhD fellowships: At least one student researcher working on Alevi theatre in Turkey and/or Europe.
- All graduate student fellows need to be registered in an MA program (with a thesis requirement) or a PhD program at Kadir Has University. They will write their theses or dissertations on topics related to the project under the supervision of Dr. Altınay. Graduate student candidates who are not currently enrolled in a graduate program at Kadir Has University can receive conditional offers. To be eligible for employment, the candidate must be admitted to and enrolled in Kadir Has University by Fall 2021 (Kadir Has University graduate school application deadline: June 11, 2021). Information on the programs and application processes available at https://sgs.khas.edu.tr/en/homepage
Main duties[edit | edit source]
- Conducting archival or ethnographic research on a specific topic relevant to the project;
- Publishing articles in top-ranking international journals;
- Presenting research findings at selective academic conferences.
- Contributing to the project’s public outreach program;
- Supporting the overall development of the project.
Qualifications[edit | edit source]
- Proven academic excellence and dedication to academic research.
- Excellent proficiency in English and any specific language skills required by the applicant’s proposed research project (such as Armenian, Judeo-Spanish, Hebrew, Greek, Kurdish, German, French).
- Ability to work both in a team environment and independently.
Benefits*[edit | edit source]
- Post-doctoral fellowship: The post-doctoral fellows will be employed for a maximum of 36 months. They will receive a full-time monthly net stipend of 6000 TL with social security benefits (SGK) as well as an additional living allowance and research support of 2000 TL and an annual travel budget.
- PhD fellowship: The PhD student researchers will be employed for a maximum of 48 months. They will work .75 FTE and receive a monthly net stipend of 5000 TL with full social security benefits (SGK) as well as an additional living allowance and research support of 1500 TL and an annual travel budget.
- MA fellowship: The MA student researchers will be employed for a maximum of 24 months. They will work .75 FTE and receive a monthly net stipend of 3500 TL with full social security benefits (SGK) as well as an additional living allowance and research support of 1000 TL and an annual travel budget.
*All contracts are annual and renewal is contingent on performance reviews conducted at the end of each academic year.
How to apply[edit | edit source]
- Cover letter in English describing the candidates’ academic experience and qualifications, and the research they would like to conduct under the ERC project.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- One writing sample in English.
- Three confidential letters of reference (at least two should be academic, one letter maybe professional), to be sent directly to []
Please send all requested materials (except for the letters of reference) electronically in a single PDF file to [] by May 28, 2021. Selected candidates will be invited for Zoom interviews conducted on May 30 and 31, 2021.
For details: https://stagingabjection.com/announcements/