This page is for 2011-12 Fellowships!!!
- 1 ACLS/Mellon Dissertation Completion Fellowship
- 2 ACLS Dissertation Fellowship in Eastern European Studies
- 3 AAUW Dissertation Fellowship
- 4 American Educational Research Association (AERA) Minority Fellowship Program in Education Research
- 5 Boston College African and African Diaspora Dissertation Fellowship
- 6 Carter G. Woodson Institute PreDoctoral Fellowship at UVA (African & African American)
- 7 CFD
- 8 CLIR/ Mellon Fellowship
- 9 Charlotte Newcombe Fellowship
- 10 Dartmouth College
- 11 5 colleges
- 12 Ford Dissertation Fellowship
- 13 Frick Collection Andrew Mellon Curatorial Fellowship
- 14 Fulbright IIE
- 15 Fulbright-Hays
- 16 Harvey Fellowship
- 17 Ithaca College Pre-Doctoral Diversity Fellowship
- 18 Josephine de Karman Fellowship
- 19 Mabel McLeod Lewis Memorial Fellowships (for No-Cal schools only)
- 20 Medieval Academy of America Schallek Fellowship
- 21 Miller Center Fellowship in Politics and History (UVA)
- 22 Newberry Library Fellowship
- 23 SSRC International Research Fellowship
- 24 Stanford Humanities Center Fellowships (Whiting, Geballe, Mellon, Liebermann)
- 25 UT-Austin AADS Dissertation Fellowship
- 26 Wenner Gren diss fieldwork research grant
ACLS/Mellon Dissertation Completion Fellowship
Rejection by email 03/08 (x5)
- Letter noted that 70 fellowships were awarded, selected from a total of 1101 applicants.
offer by email 3/8 (x5)
- could those who received offers identify their field/sub-field?
- I believe you can ask for readers' reports. May be more useful than know fields and sub-fields awarded. Also, ACLS web page will list those shortly.
- An ACLS employee just informed me that readers' reports can be made available, upon written request sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, but not until at least May.
- FYI - Last year I asked, but was told that the readers didn't "designate any comments to be released." (Given the 1000+ apps, it's unsurprising they don't comment on them all....). That said, can't hurt to ask.
- For those of you who are very curious about the process: there are ALWAYS comments made by the reviewers. Some reviewers tend to write more detailed ones, while others reserve themselves to only one sentence. Results are in-place after the meeting which takes place in the middle of April. If you contact someone from ACLS the beginning of May. If you received the award, they will let you know; if not, you will hear that you should expect to receive the results by mail. Info from the primary source.
- Just want to add that I received hardy copies of the readers' reports when I applied to this a few years ago -- very brief but useful nonetheless.
- Does anyone know how many reviewers read each application?
- 3 reviewers
- Thanks, primary source person!
- Alternate for the ACLS here. Any insights into when they are in a position to announce awards to alternates, if any? What is the deadline for accepting the awards? It seems highly improbable given the current market that anyone would turn down the grant!
- Deadline for accepting awards 3/31
- (Have heard about one person who is turning down the grant this year.)
- Hi, I was an alternate for a different ACLS diss. fellowship last year and got off the waitlist 2 weeks after I heard of my alternate status--I was notified via snail mail, nothing like bringing you back to college with the big vs. little envelope in the mailbox. You never know!
- ANOTHER alternate here: does anyone know how many alternates there are? A friend of mine at a different school got an offer, and he also has a tenure-track job starting this Sept., and he was able to postpone his job for a year in order to accept the ACLS. Very depressing... some people have it all! --> That's really a shame. The ACLS really needs to do something about this. I was an alternate 2 years ago and I knew 2 people who had completed their dissertations, deferred some sort of job or postdoc and accepted the ACLS. Unfortunately people are applying to this fellowship as a back up to their job search. However, decreasing the number of years one can be in grad school before applying doesn't work since schools have different coursework and teaching requirements (notably difference between public and private universities).
ACLS Dissertation Fellowship in Eastern European Studies
AAUW Dissertation Fellowship
American Educational Research Association (AERA) Minority Fellowship Program in Education Research
Boston College African and African Diaspora Dissertation Fellowship
- (2/10) Email asking for name of dissertation advisor, mailing address, how I found out about the fellowship, and an Affirmative Action form to fill out... Anyone else receive this?
- (2/10) I also received this, but am pretty sure everyone does. I got the same email last year--I think they just want the info on file.
- Above poster: when did you hear the results last year? Did you find out via email or post? Thanks!
- They emailed people who didn't get the fellowship on April 5th last year
Carter G. Woodson Institute PreDoctoral Fellowship at UVA (African & African American)
- offer letter rec'd in mail (2/17)
- rejection letter received in mail, 2/17
- Anybody have any idea what the timeline for these is? I know the interviews have begun but have no idea when awards are decided.
- It seems that each school is different, as far as availability and timelines go. But ought we to assume that if we haven't yet been contacted, we're not in the running?
- I don't think we can assume that we're not still in the running. From last year's wiki page, people reported having been contacted in the past in March. Someone even in May (with an offer, which I assume was not an initial contact). I keep thinking about contacting the administrator of the program at DePauw to see if she has any words of wisdom, but I also don't want to rock the boat.
- I was contacted by one of the schools in December, given an on-campus interview in February but told someone else was selected in March. Don't know how the process works for every school though.
- The same thing happened to me (as above poster), but I haven't actually been notified I didn't get it yet. At this point, though, the length of time tells me I'm out of the running, would definitely appreciate a rejection tho.
- Does anyone know of any successful candidates on this front? It seems like there are a lot of positions offered, but aside from the 2 above searches, no one seems to have claimed anything...
CLIR/ Mellon Fellowship
• received email notification (yes!) on 3/4 (Can someone verify that this date for the CLIR Mellon? Was this for the fellowship for research in original sources? March 4 is significantly earlier than previous years.)
Last year's candidates, when did you hear about this? See: http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/Humanities/Social_Sciences_Dissertation_Fellowships_2010-11
Any more news? Rejections/acceptances? Or is it all announced on March 31st?
I suspect it will be as last year: rejections will be sent March 31st, and awards will be announced April 1st. Good luck to everyone.
A note for those applying this year, last year the email message was sent to my spam. Add alucko at clir.org to your address books. Good luck! I am applying again, anxious week! [03/29]
Just got a rejection e-mail [3/29, 5pm EDT]. Good luck to everyone! x3
Rejection email. Same time. Good luck to everyone else.
REJECTION EMAIL :(
I haven't received a rejection yet. Should I contact CLIR Mellon or wait until April 1st? Has anyone received offers? Thanks.
Charlotte Newcombe Fellowship
- (2/22) Notification via email that have proceeded to final stage (600 applicants; 12% proceed to final stage; 20 eventually selected and notified by the first week in April)
- (3/21) Rejection received via email x2
- (3/21) Alternate notification via email x4
- (3/21) Notified of selection; response required by March 28 x2
- (4/5) Any news on this? I was selected as an alternate and told I would be contacted by 3/31. I'm not optimistic, obviously, at this point but it would be nice to just know!
Any news on this one? According to their website notifications were to be made April 1 ...
- Is this the kind where they interview you and decide or just notify you when you get it or don't?
- Anybod heard anything on this one? (nope...)
- I don't know why the previous post was modified. After the nope, there was some commentary. Hoping it was the respondent. (edit: it was. i deleted something that didn't seem to make sense on second read-through, but was basically, "good luck!" :) ) As for timelines, I seem to recall seeing something on this for previous years around 3/15, but now I can't find it so it was probably a fever dream. At any rate, the website says March, so we have at least three more weeks to go.
- I emailed to ask and received a reply today (3.29): the administrator writes that they hope to send emails with final decisions next week. No explanation of whether interviews were held or not. Anyone know?
- Don't know about interviews. I've applied to several of these residential pre-docs this year, and I have learned that this is the lowest priority for them: right behind hiring an adjunct toilet cleaner. We're even more of a captive labor force than the post-docs/regular jobs because we ain't got no other alternative whatsoever.
Ford Dissertation Fellowship
All items finally marked as recieved on the online page (2/5)
Has anyone heard from the Foundation? When should we expect an answer? (3/15)
Last year, I was notified on 4/9. Didn't get it: I hope YOU get it, it's a grueling app.
They are meeting this weekend (3/18). Still no news (4/4)
Frick Collection Andrew Mellon Curatorial Fellowship
--- First round notification emails sent out 1/20/2011
--- France award letters sent 3/11/2011
--- Israel award notification email sent 3/31/2011
- 3/1 recv'd rejection email.
Ithaca College Pre-Doctoral Diversity Fellowship
Josephine de Karman Fellowship
Mabel McLeod Lewis Memorial Fellowships (for No-Cal schools only)
-- offer received by email 3/9
--Rejection received by email 3/23
Medieval Academy of America Schallek Fellowship
- First alternate named 2/26 ??? 2011?
Miller Center Fellowship in Politics and History (UVA)
An email confirming receipt of applications named May 1 as the date by which finalists will be announced, but last year applicants received word much earlier. Any news?
When did applicants hear back last year?
Newberry Library Fellowship
SSRC International Research Fellowship
Transcript requests sent in beginning of Feb 2011. Rejections for SSRC received by mail in third week of Feb. 2011.
Stanford Humanities Center Fellowships (Whiting, Geballe, Mellon, Liebermann)
3/14 Offers received.
UT-Austin AADS Dissertation Fellowship
Wenner Gren diss fieldwork research grant
2/13 E-mail announcing successful at stage one. Moving on to stage two. 30% chances.