This page is for dissertation fellowships for 2020-2021 (including research fellowships, dissertation completion fellowships, and other predoctoral opportunities).
- Last year's page: Dissertation Fellowships 2019-2020
See also fellowship discussions at theGradCafe: The Bank
- This is an initial post to start the page as in years past - please add calls and information!
- 1 RECENT ACTIVITY on Dissertation Fellowships 2020-2021 Wiki
- 2 AAUW American Dissertation Fellowship
- 3 AERA Minority Dissertation Fellowship Program in Education Research
- 4 ACLS / Mellon Dissertation Completion Fellowships
- 5 Alvin H. Johnson AMS 50 Dissertation Fellowships
- 6 American Academy in Rome, Rome Prize
- 7 American Philosophical Society Predoctoral Fellowship
- 8 American Sociological Association Minority Fellows Program
- 9 Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs Research Fellowships, Harvard University
- 10 Boren Fellowship
- 11 Boston College AADS (African and African Diaspora Studies) Dissertation Fellowship
- 12 CAA Professional Development Fellowship
- 13 CAORC Mediterranean Regional Research Fellowship
- 14 Carter G. Woodson Pre-Doctoral/Post-Doctoral Fellowship (University of Virginia)
- 15 Carter Manny Award
- 16 CASVA Pre-Doctoral Fellowship of the National Gallery of Art
- 17 Center for Jewish History Dissertation Fellowship
- 18 Center for Military History Dissertation Fellowship
- 19 Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship
- 20 CHATEAUBRIAND FELLOWSHIP (STEM and HSS)
- 21 Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation Dissertation Fellowship
- 22 CLIR-Mellon Fellowship
- 23 Consortium for Faculty Diversity (Dissertation and Postdoctoral Fellowship Fellowships)
- 24 Consortium for History of Science, Medicine, and Technology Dissertation Fellowship
- 25 DAAD Graduate Research Fellowship
- 26 Dartmouth College Chávez/Eastman/Marshall Dissertation Fellowship
- 27 Dolores Liebmann Fellowship
- 28 Dumbarton Oaks Junior Fellowship
- 29 Ernest May Fellowship in History and Policy
- 30 Ford Foundation Dissertation Fellowship
- 31 Frederick Douglass Institute for African and African-American Studies Pre-doctoral Fellowship
- 32 Frick Anne L. Poulet Curatorial Fellowship 2019-2021
- 33 Fulbright IIE Study/Research Grants
- 34 Fulbright Hays DDRA
- 35 Gaius Charles Bolin Dissertation Fellowship
- 36 Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 37 Getty Library Research Grant
- 38 Graduate Women in Science National Fellowship Program
- 39 Harry Frank Guggenheim Fellowship
- 40 Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies Academy Scholars Program
- 41 Henry Luce/ACLS Dissertation Fellowship in American Art
- 42 Hobart and William Smith - Fisher Center Predoctoral Fellowship
- 43 Home Grown Curatorial Fellowship
- 44 Horowitz Fellowship
- 45 Huntington Library Fellowship
- 46 IGCC Dissertation Fellowship
- 47 IHR Doctoral Fellowship (Scouloudi, Thornley, RHS)
- 48 Institute for Turkish Studies Dissertation Writing Grant
- 49 Ithaca College Pre-Doctoral Diversity Fellowship
- 50 Japan Foundation Japanese Studies Fellowship
- 51 Jefferson Scholars Foundation National Fellowship (UVA)
- 52 Jennings Randolph Peace Scholarship Dissertation Program
- 53 Josephine de Karman Fellowship
- 54 Koc Research Center for Anatolian Civilizations Residential Fellowship
- 55 Kress Foundation History of Art Institutional Fellowships
- 56 Lake Institute Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship
- 57 Lewis and Clark Fund for Exploration and Field Research
- 58 Louisville Institute Dissertation Fellowship
- 59 Mabelle McLeod Lewis Memorial Fund
- 60 Marilyn Yarbrough Dissertation/Teaching Fellowship (Kenyon College)
- 61 Mellon-CES Dissertation Completion Fellowship in European Studies
- 62 Metropolitan Museum of Art, Art History Fellowships
- 63 Minerva-USIP Peace and Security Scholarship
- 64 Mitchem Dissertation Fellowship Program (Marquette University)
- 65 MIT SHASS Diversity Predoctoral Fellowship
- 66 NAEd/Spencer Dissertation Fellowship Program
- 67 NSF Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement Grant
- 68 New York Botanical Gardens Humanities Institute Research Fellowship
- 69 Notre Dame Institute for Advanced Study
- 70 Penn Predoctoral Fellowships for Excellence through Diversity
- 71 RBS-MELLON SOCIETY OF FELLOWS IN CRITICAL BIBLIOGRAPHY
- 72 Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation for Buddhist Studies/ACLS Dissertation Fellowship
- 73 Smith Richardson Foundation, World Politics & Statecraft Fellowship
- 74 Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program (SIFP) (Predoctoral)
- 75 SHAFR Marilyn Blatt Young Dissertation Completion Fellowship
- 76 Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations (SHAFR) Research Grants
- 77 Soroptimist [Founder Region Fellowship]
- 78 SPFFA Bourse Marandon
- 79 SSRC - IDRF
- 80 Tobin Project Graduate Fellowship and Workshop
- 81 Tobin Project Prospectus Development Workshop
- 82 Tufts University Mellon Comparative Global Humanities Dissertation Fellowship
- 83 University of California @ Davis Provost's Dissertation Year Fellowship
- 84 UCLA Clark Library Predoctoral Fellowship
- 85 University of California Santa Barbara Black Studies Dissertation Fellowship
- 86 University of Southern California (USC) Shoah Foundation Center for Advanced Genocide Research Fellowships
- 87 UT Austin Harry Ransom Center Research Fellowships
- 88 Weatherhead Fellowship (SAR Residential Fellows Program)
- 89 Wenner-Gren Dissertation Fieldwork Grant
- 90 Winterthur Dissertation Fellowship
- 91 Woodrow Wilson Dissertation Fellowship in Women's Studies
- 92 Yale ISS Smith Richardson Predoctoral Fellowship
- 93 Yale ISS Henry A. Kissinger Predoctoral Fellowship
RECENT ACTIVITY on Dissertation Fellowships 2020-2021 Wiki[edit | edit source]
Subscribe to RSS Feed for This Page: http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/Dissertation_Fellowships_2020-2021?feed=rss&action=history
AAUW American Dissertation Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Applied: Architecture x2
Applied: Anthropology x2
Applied: Classics x1
Applied: Sociology x1
Applied: Archaeology x1
Applied: Art History x 1
Applied: History x2
Applied: Literature x1
Applied: Italian Literature x1
Applied: Urban Planning x1
4/15 @ 5 AM CST - rejection, Art History
4/15 @ 6 AM EST - rejection, Anthropology 4/15 @ 5 AM CST- rejection, History
4/15 @ 6AM EST - rejection, Italian Lit
4/ 15 @ 6 AM EST -Rejection, History
4/15 @ 6 AM EST- Alternate, Law (Masters, International Fellowship). How many alternates end up getting the award? I am an LL.M (Master of Laws) applicant and its understandable that the competition is tough (esp when competing for funds with postgrads). --->probably varies from year-to-year depending on how many turn it down.
4/15 alternate, sociology
4/15 @ 6 am EST - Awarded, Theatre and Performance.
- - What is your last day of acceptance, 05/15? -- YES!
4/15 @ 6am EST - rejection, Comparative Literature
5/7 - alternate to awardee, Education/Interdisciplinary Edit: was alternate and subsequently awarded. Declined award for American Fellowship.
- - You were an alternate and were subsequently given an award? What time did you recieve the notification? And are you an American or International Fellow?
- 6/4 Has any other alternate received the award?
7/2 is there any alternate received the awards? 8/3 I am an international fellow alternate hoping to get off the waitlist. Are there any alternates out there that have been awarded the fellowship? :) 8/9 - also an alternate, wondering if there is any likelihood of actually getting it and praying that there is! 8/28 For alternates, do you guys receive email recently to confirm our contacts and address ? They also mention that all awardees (the ones who get off from alternate lists) will be notified by September 30. 8/31. Yes, I am an alternate and I alse received an email to confirm my contact information. 9/2. Hopefully all the alternates could get off from the waitlists! 9/17 any alternates got any news?
- 9/28. Just got the email that I get off from the waitlists! Goodluck to other alternates.
9/28. I also got off the waitlist! I am an international fellow in Biology :).
9/30. I also got off the waitlist! American fellow :)
AERA Minority Dissertation Fellowship Program in Education Research[edit | edit source]
ACLS / Mellon Dissertation Completion Fellowships[edit | edit source]
Applied (Art History / Architectural History 6x)
Applied (Anthropology/Archaeology 5x)
Applied (English 2x)
Applied (Sociology 1x)
Applied Political Science
Applied History x3
Applied Spanish and Portuguese
Everyone seems very calm this year (03/08).
- - not so much calm as exhausted...and definitely wanting to know when we might be hearing any news. It looks as if last year's notifications went out on Mar. 11 (the second Mon. in Mar., which is today)...has anyone heard anything yet today? (3/9)
- - Nothing here so far (3/9)
- - Same .. hoping the notices are just a bit delayed this year - fingers crossed and good luck everyone! (3/9)
- -Oh I'm low-key panicking and definitely had a wave of nausea when I got the e-mail notification that this wiki was updated (3/9)
3/9: in the past 4 years, they've always emailed on the second Monday of March, so it will most likely be next Monday
- I guess they might be only a few days late. So we might hear tomorrow or Wednesday which will be still on time (March 10 & 11).
- I wonder if this whole situation with the coronavirus is going to delay notifications...all classes at my unversity are suspended for the week and, starting next week, will be taught online through the end of March. (3/10)
- I see below that two people have received acceptance emails for the Henry Luce/ACLS Dissertation Fellowship in American Art, which had the same deadline as this fellowship. I wonder if that means anything.
-Typically the Luce awardees are emailed one week before the Mellon
- Thanks for the clarification. It’s odd that the posting below about Luce acceptance emails are no longer there.
3/16: Anyone here this morning? No news to report on my end.
- Nothing on my end yet (3/16)
- Nothing on my end as well. Really thought today would be the day (3/16)
-Nothing here either (3/16)
- Nothing here either!! What's happening?!? This is nerve racking (3/16)
- nothing here either... wondering if maybe acceptances have gone out, but no one who has been accepted is checking this wiki... (3/16)
- - Standard practice for this grant seems to usually be that everything is sent out at the same time/on the same morning (or at least, that's what happened last year).
- - no -- according to the wiki from last year it seems like acceptances (3/11) were sent a week before rejections (3/18).
- - Sorry about that, you are absolutely right! I had a different fellowship in mind.
- Do we think maybe tomorrow given the Luce acceptances were sent out on 3/10? (3/16)
- Please send me my rejection letter already (3/16)... I can't even sleep because of this - I have been drinking NyQuil since last week to fall asleep...
-(3/16) - Everyone remain calm. It's a super weird time in the world, and we need to give ourselves and ACLS/Mellon some slack. I would be very suprised if no acceptances get posted here (ya'll can shout at me if I'm wrong). Luce acceptances consistently get sent out before Mellon, and Luce acceptances were sent out late this year compared to other years. Keep calm, stay healthy, and wash those hands! (my condolences to my NyQuil friend above.)
(3/17) Seconding the above! Still no news here, but this is about the most extraordinary circumstance possible. Hope all stay well and occupied (perhaps dissertation writing?) during quarantine <3
3/18 provisional acceptance 10:39 am (x10)
-- Ok, let's just everyone pretend none of this ever happened and go back to finishing that diss....
--Indeed. Congrats to the recipients, and to those who didn't: you are not alone!
--So that's it for this year? a burst of the bubble, but congrats to all who received acceptances.
-- Congrats to the recipients! Can I ask what disciplines you are from?
American Studies (x1)
Art History/Architectural History (x2)
3/19 alternate notification
3/19 Alternate Notification, History
--Does anyone know what the chances are for alternates? --(replying to above) 3/21: hopefully some! I had to sadly turn it down--good luck to those waitlisted!
--03/26/2020 - Received award after initially being an alternate. It is possible! :)
3/19 evening - Congrats to the recipients! Out of curiosity, has anyone received rejections notice yet? At this point I clearly haven't received a fellowship but I would like an official rejection notice, damnit!
-- no rejection here yet, but I expect it will come mid-next week
--rejection just came in (4.20 EST, 3/25/20)
3/25 rejection email received
Ditto, rejection email receive. 4:11pm ET, 3/25/20.
3/30 - Is there anyone else who hasn't heard anything? Waiting to put this whole app into my "rejected" folder.
4/21 - Received award after receiving an alternate notification on 3/19. I had abandoned all hope given that I was waiting for over a month for an update... Sharing this to encourage future alternates! --- What is your last day of acceptance?
4/27 - Received the award on 4/27, but I have already declined it today. Still some chance for other alternates who are waiting. I want to encourage future alternates not to lose hope, but I understand how suffering it could be to keep expectations high.
9/8 - Has anyone received feedback on their applications yet?
Alvin H. Johnson AMS 50 Dissertation Fellowships[edit | edit source]
Has anyone heard any news yet? (4/28)
News will be released in the next few days (message received in response to my email inquiry about status of AMS fellowships) (6/11)
�Still no news as of 6/26 (I'd assume that by now the fellowship recipients have received the news...)
Nobody I know has received any news. It is getting really late... (6/29)
Rejection email received--3 awards selected out of roughly 50 appliations (7/1)
American Academy in Rome, Rome Prize[edit | edit source]
Applied: Ancient Studies (x1)
Anyone receive any news about interviews yet?
I know of at least one interview request that went out by phone last week (with the caveat that this is secondhand knowledge, so I can't personally confirm the details). Through the grapevine -- offers have been made for medieval, early modern, ancient, and modern. Alternates also notified. Le sigh.
2/28: Rejection received via email
American Philosophical Society Predoctoral Fellowship[edit | edit source]
3/30 - Early America to 1840 notices sent
American Sociological Association Minority Fellows Program[edit | edit source]
Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs Research Fellowships, Harvard University[edit | edit source]
See also: Ernest May Fellowship in History and Policy
Boren Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Boston College AADS (African and African Diaspora Studies) Dissertation Fellowship[edit | edit source]
CAA Professional Development Fellowship[edit | edit source]
CAORC Mediterranean Regional Research Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Carter G. Woodson Pre-Doctoral/Post-Doctoral Fellowship (University of Virginia)[edit | edit source]
Applied: Architecture x1 (Predoctoral Fellowship) - rejected
Carter Manny Award[edit | edit source]
Research (3 applied)
Has anyone checked in our heard anything since the COVID-19 stuff began?
Any updates? We are now past the April deadline....... (5/1) I emailed yesterday (April 30) and received no response. Looks like they were late in past years, but I wish they would at least email us to let us know it is taking longer than expected :/
Any news? This is taking very long..
Has anyone heard anything? I followed up in June and got a fairly rude email that said they will assuredly tell us when they are decided—no update on actual timeline for an award that was supposed to begin in June...
(07/02) Received my rejection an hour ago
(8/10) Was notified in early July of finalist status, email said we would be hearing by "mid-late August," which seems very early compared to previous years.
CASVA Pre-Doctoral Fellowship of the National Gallery of Art[edit | edit source]
has anyone received information on interviews?
(1/20) Not yet...anticipation is killing me. I've heard they usually make calls on the 20th, but it's a holiday and calls from previous years have ranged from last week to later this week so...hopefully it's later this week ;)
(1/18) Call recieved notifying of an interview
(1/23) Congrats! Anyone know if they call all potential recipients at once or do it in stages?
(1/23) They call all potential recipients at once. Good luck to all those who have interviews!
(2/12) Has anyone been formally rejected yet? I guess the interview have not taken place yet?
(2/12) I got the formal rejection today. Congrats and good luck to interviewees/recipients!
(posting 2/18) Offers to successful candidates went out 2/9-2/10. Alternates notified 2/12.
Center for Jewish History Dissertation Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Center for Military History Dissertation Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Applied: Anthropology (x2)
Applied: Political Science
2/20: I take it no one has heard anything yet? --Nothing yet! But I think this week may be the week if other cycles are any indication.
2/21: Previous years seem to suggest that today should be the day. Has anyone gotten any word? I'm hoping that no news doesn't necessarily mean bad news at this point! -- No word yet. --No word here, either. Seems like finalist/rejection notifications go out on the same day. Unless they changed that this year, no news is just no news, not bad news!
2/28: Still nothing for everybody? --Nothing yet. Anyone want to be the brave soul who calls?
2/28: I think there's still some time to wait. The website says:
Notification of Status (Finalist and Non-Finalist)
By March 15, 2020
By April 5, 2020 -- Yes, but their "Your Application is Complete" email says "Finalists will be notified in Februrary 2020." --could be they expected to notify in February but results were delayed like last year's for whatever reason. I planned on contacting them if notifications didn't go out by the end of next week
3/2: Who is going to be the brave soul who calls them? If I refresh my e-mail one more time I think my computer is going to explode...
3/5: Did anyone hear anything? No. Do they typically inform people who have been rejected at the same time as the finalists? -- Last year they seem to have done it at the same time, but two years ago there's a few days gap between finalists notifications and rejections. --Haven't heard anything here, my guess is there's a delay. Maybe they received more applications than expected or something else came up. Last year's were similarly delayed. I planned on emailing them end of day tomorrow if no results are sent out.
3/6: I think this is the longest they've gone before emailing. Last year it was on the 6th, but they had a "delay".---Greatest fear: Perhaps they HAVE e-mailed finalists and we are....not them. Lol
I have emailed them on Friday, but did not hear back. --same 3/9 -- Heard back that we'll find out by the 15th.
What the heck happened? All our results are gone. I think everyone on this forum received a rejection on 3/11
^Yeah, is someone going through and deleting posts? I swear something I saw on the ACLS/Mellon section got deleted too. Got my rejection for this one on 3/12 and posted it here.
3/12: Finalist notification & transcript request. Email indicates over 500 applications with 462 non-finalists.
3/12 Rejection notification via email
3/30 Have any of the finalists received a call or email yet?
3/30 I'm a finalist and haven't heard anything!
3/30 I wonder how they determine the order for making calls. Maybe it's alphabetic?
3/30 Finalist rejection email received 5:15 pm. Congrats to the winners!
3/30 finalist rejection email received 5:01pm EST
CHATEAUBRIAND FELLOWSHIP (STEM and HSS)[edit | edit source]
Any updates? Haven't heard anything. (6/5)
Decisions announced, at least for waitlist (6/8)
Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation Dissertation Fellowship[edit | edit source]
CLIR-Mellon Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Anyone know if they will be accepting applications this year? The website says that they'll decide in late fall, so I'm wondering if anyone has any inside information or insights here. Thanks!
Looks like they won't have a competition at all this cycle. No clear info about future cycles unfortunately. Really sad to see, I hope they secure funding for it in the future 1/14
Consortium for Faculty Diversity (Dissertation and Postdoctoral Fellowship Fellowships)[edit | edit source]
Applied: Architecture x1
Consortium for History of Science, Medicine, and Technology Dissertation Fellowship[edit | edit source]
DAAD Graduate Research Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Dartmouth College Chávez/Eastman/Marshall Dissertation Fellowship[edit | edit source]
- César Chávez
3/17: ^^^Saw on Twitter that someone already accepted the Fellowship.^^^
Applied x1 Rejected (4/6)
Dolores Liebmann Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Any news on this one? (5/29)
Any news on this one? (6/17)
I received notification of acceptance via email this morning. (6/19)
An email as opposed to a physical letter? (as in previous years) Had you emailed in advance?
-Yes, an email. I had emailed for an update, a while ago. But I was told in response then that notification would be coming in the mail.
Dumbarton Oaks Junior Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Question: does anyone know when exactly notifications will be going out for DO? The website says awards will be announced in March, but last year it seems like several rejections/waitlists were sent out Jan. 31.
-In 2018, I received my rejection letter on February 27.
-Received offer on Feb 6 via email (edited to answer question below: Pre-columbian Studies)
--> Congrats! If you don't mind answering: which field did you apply for?
-Rejection received (February 7)
- Rejection by email (March 2) - G&L
Ernest May Fellowship in History and Policy[edit | edit source]
I don't know who keeps deleting results, but it's not cool. I received an offer on 3/26 via email
Ford Foundation Dissertation Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Applied -- English x4
Applied -- Literature & Language
Applied -- Ethnomusicology x2
Applied -- History x3 Applied
Applied -- Spanish and Portuguese
Does anyone here know when status notifications will be made? 03/09 - last year the results were out on Mar 15...so maybe next week?
The application online said April.... but who knows (03/10)
3/12 Does anyone know if awardees get a special email or does everyone just get a "Review Results" email? Also are reviewers all awardees from the past?
3/12 A post in GradCafe mentioned that the Review committee met on Mar 4 and 5 to review proposals (https://sites.nationalacademies.org/PGA/FordFellowships/PGA_086216). Maybe we will hear back in two weeks?
03/19 Is today the day for finalist notifications (per the last comment)?
03/19 it's more likely to be tomorrow. A post on The Bank says results are usually announced on the third Friday of March.
03/19 Someone reported on The Bank that they received an email at 9:02am today saying that the results were in. I guess we can expect to hear back either today or tomorrow. Is there a specific order they would notify the applicants? (Ej. Rejects-HM-Alternates-Awardees?)
03/19 It's possible the Bank thread is about Ford's predoc, not dissertation fellowship. Has anyone here received an email regarding their dissertation fellowship (aka the fellowship for the last year of dissertation writing)?
3/19- I was just gonna say that. Folks on The Bank have been reporting rejections and awards received. I don't think dissertation fellow results are out yet.
3/19 rejection for dissertation fellowship 2pm (Was it by email or did you check your application portal)
3/19 (2:56pm EST): Prompted to check portal. Alternate status. Stats: 36 awards made from 644 applications.
3/19: Awarded dissertation fellowship (Education).
3/19: Awarded (applied as Interdisciplinary Study (Social Sciences & Humanities))
3/21: Checked my portal and I have alternate status (Literature)!
4/14: Received an email that I had received the Ford Foundation Dissertation Fellowship. Prior to this, I was on the waitlist as an alternate. I have until 5/5 to accept. Good luck to other alternates who might be waiting to hear back! I wanted to write this in since I was always looking around the internet to see if other alternates ever made it to receiving the award; so I wanted to share my experience. Don't give up hope! I have been an alternate maybe two times before this!
Frederick Douglass Institute for African and African-American Studies Pre-doctoral Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Based on website, looks like the Institute now only offers Postdoctoral Fellowship and Faculty Fellowship.
Frick Anne L. Poulet Curatorial Fellowship 2019-2021[edit | edit source]
Fulbright IIE Study/Research Grants[edit | edit source]
Fulbright Hays DDRA[edit | edit source]
Applied. Does anyone know what the timeline is for decisions on Fulbright Hays DDRA? For reference this year the appliation was due 2/18/2020. --> Former FH grantee here. In my case, it took three months to learn that I had been awarded a grant, and an additional two months for the funds to be released and the grant clock to start. But you should ask your university's Fulbright coordinator as to how Covid has changed this timeline.
Gaius Charles Bolin Dissertation Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Indicated Interest, Didn't Apply: I wrote to the fellowship contact on 9/15 to express my interest and to ask about departments that would be open to hosting a fellow for the 2020-2021 year (I'm in Architecture and subfield is African and African-American Studies, so I was interested in Africana Studies). I received the response that "we are currently hosting a Bolin fellow in Africana Studies, which is why that department is not participating this year." -- something to note for future applicants!!
Applied: History -- rejected 1/14
Applied: WGS -- rejected 1/14 ("I regret to inform you that you were not selected as one of the semi-finalists. We received an almost record number of applications this year -- nearly 150 for just two new positions.")
Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Applied: Getty Predoctoral Fellowship (x3)
Anyone heard anything about the predoctoral fellowship? It looks like historically this is about the time that folks start hearing things.
- I followed up in late January, and they said they will be sending out responses by March.
2/7: Received rejection via email (generic but apologetic) - best of luck to the rest of you! (x2)
Getty Library Research Grant[edit | edit source]
Graduate Women in Science National Fellowship Program[edit | edit source]
Harry Frank Guggenheim Fellowship[edit | edit source]
(06/06) any news?
(06/07) none! Still waiting. Good luck to everyone!
(06/17) I see on Grad Cafe that the Board meeting was pushed to July 15.
(06/23) I just received an email saying that the decision will be "rendered in mid-July".
(06/24) Received the same email.
(07/14) News expected any day now. Website shows status still 'undecided'. Feeling extremely anxious. Anyone else want to share?
(07/17) Just received a rejection. Congrats to everyone who received it!
Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies Academy Scholars Program[edit | edit source]
Henry Luce/ACLS Dissertation Fellowship in American Art[edit | edit source]
Any news? (2/11) --> Last year notifications didn't go out until 3/4 and then 3/6 for alternates
Any news on this one? (3/5) -- nothing here (3/6). Looking at the timeline from last year, I'm thinking the best I can hope for at this point is alternate status.
3.10.20 received an acceptance email x2
Hobart and William Smith - Fisher Center Predoctoral Fellowship[edit | edit source]
2/13/20: does anyone know if these will be offered again this year?
Home Grown Curatorial Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Horowitz Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Applied (x3) on December 1
Has anyone heard anything?
No- in the portal it shows my application was last edited feb 26, I assume a rejection but its really late this year.
I have not heard anything, and my portal says my application was last edited on april 27.
My application in the portal does not say anything--just "submitted."'
The webiste says they will make annoucements for winners in June.
Anyone hear anything? (May 26)
No! (May 29)
Nothing yet (June 6)
Still nothing (June 7). At this point, I consider it a rejection... it is late compared to previous years. What do you think?
June 8th - NOTHING yet. We merit an email with an update. Last year, winners were announced early May. Has anyone reached out to the foundation? Did they forget about us?
Nothing here either! But the website was updated in March, stating they'll make announcements in June...
June 10th- Nothing.
June 17 - no news yet.
June 22 - looks like there are new faces on the website?
Huntington Library Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Applied: Short-term research fellowship x1
Received notification of acceptance by email last week. Details (how many months) coming by snail mail this week.
Recieved follow up snail mail with acceptance info 3/11
IGCC Dissertation Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Applied - History x1
IHR Doctoral Fellowship (Scouloudi, Thornley, RHS)[edit | edit source]
Institute for Turkish Studies Dissertation Writing Grant[edit | edit source]
Applied - Anthropology
Ithaca College Pre-Doctoral Diversity Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Did anyone hear about this? Were there campus visits? Or any updates at all?
Japan Foundation Japanese Studies Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Jefferson Scholars Foundation National Fellowship (UVA)[edit | edit source]
Applied - History x2
Uh oh, looks like someone deleted results here, too (also happened for Charlotte Newcombe applicants). One person (not me) received an acceptance I believe on 3/11 or 3/12? I have not yet received a notification, but I'm assuming I was rejected at this point.
Rejection received 3/30
Jennings Randolph Peace Scholarship Dissertation Program[edit | edit source]
Josephine de Karman Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Applied -- English
Applied -- Art history
Applied -- History
Applied -- Psychology
Applied -- Anthropology
Voicemail says they are making a decision on Saturday April 18th. They say if applicants don’t hear from them on that day, then they should assume they were not selected.
Has anyone heard from them today?
- Nothing here (6:15 pm EST)
- Voicemail says they have decided (4/18) and already contacted those who were selected. Sad to not have been selected!
Is someone planning to deline the offer? Are there alternates?
Koc Research Center for Anatolian Civilizations Residential Fellowship[edit | edit source]
3/13- received notification of acceptance via e-mail.
Kress Foundation History of Art Institutional Fellowships[edit | edit source]
Did anybody hear back from the ZIKG in Munich yet? I've heard nothing as of 2/12. ^^ Not ZIKG, but I know this is the first year the libraries are doing interviews. I was told during my interview with another institution in late January that I would hear directly from Kress re: decisions. Haven't heard anything back yet. (2/18)
Rejection received directly from Hertziana (3/3)
Lake Institute Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Lewis and Clark Fund for Exploration and Field Research[edit | edit source]
Louisville Institute Dissertation Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Applied - American Studies
4/13 -- Executive Assistant says the selection committee is meeting next week via Zoom and notifications will go out after that.
4/30 - heard of a couple peopel who got this
Mabelle McLeod Lewis Memorial Fund[edit | edit source]
Applied - History x1
Applied - Literature x1
No other news as of 4/4... my status just says "applied." Will report back when/if I get official word.
Still no news (04/14). Has anyone heard anything?
I've heard nothing (04/14). I e-mailed the secretary on Monday (04/13) but haven't gotten a reply.
4/20—heard back from the secretary today and she told me that they sent notices "several weeks ago." if you haven't heard anything, I'd suggest reaching out to her to find out. Also, FYI, my "status" on the application never changed to reflect that I wasn't awarded the fellowship. Good luck to all!
05/07: Any updates? Still no answer from the executive secretary.
05/14: Heard back from the secretary today. Received a generic rejection letter dated 03/27.
Marilyn Yarbrough Dissertation/Teaching Fellowship (Kenyon College)[edit | edit source]
Applied: English (rejected 2/1)
Applied: History (haven't heard anything, but am assuming my rejection email slipped through the cracks 2/9) Update 2: received a very nice email from the chair on 2/11 saying I was rejected. Hopefully one of my other applications pan out!
Hi, to the applicant who received a rejection--was it by email or phone? I'm expecting to be rejected at this point, but haven't heard anything yet. Best of luck to you on your other applications! 2/2
^^ I received a nice (but seemingly generic) email at 1:00PM on Satuday (2/3)
Mellon-CES Dissertation Completion Fellowship in European Studies[edit | edit source]
Applied--Comparative Literature (x2)
--I contacted CES to ask if there would be any delays because of the pandemic, and they said no - everything is running normally.
--Did CES indicate when it will notify applicants? (4/10/20)
--Last year, CES did not notify recipients until the end of April / early May. Everyone else heard back mid-to-late May
--Anyone heard any news yet? (4/27/20)
--no word here yet either (4/27)
--(4/27) blanket rejection e-mail (4 PM CST) X2
--It seems odd that only one person has heard back, given that it's now May 5th.
--any updates (5/14)?
Metropolitan Museum of Art, Art History Fellowships[edit | edit source]
Applied (Asian art x1)
Applied (Prints and Drawings x1)
Applied (Greek and Roman x1)
Notifications should go out Feb 28
^ How do you know this? Last year decisions were sent out on Feb 8
Rejection email (Feb 6) x2
Anyone hear anything (acceptance or rejection) for the Lauder fellowship? (March 3)
Minerva-USIP Peace and Security Scholarship[edit | edit source]
See also: Jennings Randolph Peace Dissertation Fellowship
Mitchem Dissertation Fellowship Program (Marquette University)[edit | edit source]
MIT SHASS Diversity Predoctoral Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Due to COVID-19, MIT has suspended this fellowship for the 2020-2021 academic year (they emailed applicants).
NAEd/Spencer Dissertation Fellowship Program[edit | edit source]
received notification – not a finalist (2/27/2020)
4/23- Award notificaton by email, accepted
NSF Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement Grant[edit | edit source]
4/30 Rejected via Fastlane. Good luck to everyone else!
New York Botanical Gardens Humanities Institute Research Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Notre Dame Institute for Advanced Study[edit | edit source]
1.13.20 Rejection email received
Penn Predoctoral Fellowships for Excellence through Diversity[edit | edit source]
Applied: History x2
Applied: Architecture x1
Does anyone know the timeline for this? --from prior years, results seem to come out in late March/early April. 2/3
The deadline was at least a month earlier this year than the past, so just wondering if anyone had more specific info --if you're inclined to email them, maybe the vice provost's office would give you a more specific timeline. I planned on doing so if results didn't come out by late March
Rejected 2/27 x4
RBS-MELLON SOCIETY OF FELLOWS IN CRITICAL BIBLIOGRAPHY[edit | edit source]
email notification of finalist status (6 Feb)
accepted via phone call (March 2)
Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation for Buddhist Studies/ACLS Dissertation Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Anyone heard anything about this one? (3/31)
Smith Richardson Foundation, World Politics & Statecraft Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program (SIFP) (Predoctoral)[edit | edit source]
Applied (x2 anthropology) (x1 history of art)
Does anyone know the timeline for this? --> Last year acceptances went out first week of March and alternates were notified shortly after. They are notoriously slow though (2/11)
(History of Art and Architecture) Received acceptance by e-mail 2/18 (x2), phone call set up for 2/24 to discuss fellowship, informed physical acceptance letter in mail to arrive early March
(SAAM -- art history) -- received notice of alternate status on March 2.
(anthropology) Received acceptance through the online system on March 2.
SHAFR Marilyn Blatt Young Dissertation Completion Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations (SHAFR) Research Grants[edit | edit source]
Soroptimist [Founder Region Fellowship][edit | edit source]
SPFFA Bourse Marandon[edit | edit source]
Has anyone heard anything? Wrote to them several days ago to inquire about the timeline of notifications going out, have not received a response (5/8)
---Also have not heard anything. Any follow-up to this email sent? (6/1)
-- Responding to the qustion above -- no, no response at all. (6/16)
SSRC - IDRF[edit | edit source]
No request for transcripts but no email/letter of rejection yet either. Has any one else who did not get a transcript request on 1/29 received any intimation of rejection? (2/10/20)
Have any applicants received an email informing them that they are ineligible? Or know if these emails have gone out yet? (1/2/20)
Applied, haven't heard anything (1/21/20) -- update, received request for transcripts 1/29
Received e-mail requesting transcripts (1/29)
Received request for transcripts (anthropology, 1/29 11:01am)
I've heard that transcript requests and first round rejections usually come in around the same time, and that if you don't hear anything in the few weeks after the requests go out that that is a good sign (your ranking is higher). Anyone have any insight into this?
--That's the same thing I've heard. If you have received a transcript request, be happy because you've made through the first round for sure. First-round rejections can either be out via email or snail mail around the same time transcripts requests go out (end of Jan/early Feb.) If you don't hear anything till late March/early April, that means you are in the top tier, but there's still a final rejection round that goes out with award letters in early April. Good luck to everyone! [4/8 - for posterity, I received a transcript request and also received the grant.]
Has anyone received rejection emails from SSRC? ^^ I haven't received a rejection yet (or a transcript request) but I think no one has received rejections yet this year. Don't really know what's going on yet!
-- I was wondering the same thing. According to last year's page, they sent requests for transcripts and rejections at the same time; but it doesn't seem to be the case this year.
^^ Do you have any sense of the numbers here? Like, how many people receive transcript requests vs. how many people are in the "top tier," vs. how many are actually awarded grants?
I'm not sure about the numbers by tiers. From previous years' pages, it seems like on average the total application number is in the 900s and there are 70 awards in total, according to the SSRC website.
For the previous years numbers: In 2018, I was 1 of 70 provisional awardees, out of 988 applications.
Rejected. 02/10. From the email, "This year, 934 applications were submitted from graduate students at 113 universities. The applicant pool drew from thirty-two disciplines across the social sciences and the humanities, with research projects in almost every part of the globe."
Anyone have information on whether they are moving forward with selection as normal? Or will there be delays or some other change due to corona? (4/3)
The website has a link at the top which takes you to a statement affirming that "our fellowships and grants processes continue." We'll see what that means soon, I guess... (4/3)
I have heard through my department that the committee met this week to discuss recipients--I don't know what that means, but I guess we'll have more information soon, hopefully next week. (4/3)
Acceptance 4/8 -- do you know if they also email our advisors/letter writers??
Rejection 4/8. Congrats to those who were accepted!
Alternate 4/8. Hope I still have a chance.
Tobin Project Graduate Fellowship and Workshop[edit | edit source]
Tobin Project Prospectus Development Workshop[edit | edit source]
Tufts University Mellon Comparative Global Humanities Dissertation Fellowship[edit | edit source]
University of California @ Davis Provost's Dissertation Year Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Applied - History
UCLA Clark Library Predoctoral Fellowship[edit | edit source]
University of California Santa Barbara Black Studies Dissertation Fellowship[edit | edit source]
University of Southern California (USC) Shoah Foundation Center for Advanced Genocide Research Fellowships[edit | edit source]
UT Austin Harry Ransom Center Research Fellowships[edit | edit source]
Applied - English x1
Weatherhead Fellowship (SAR Residential Fellows Program)[edit | edit source]
Wenner-Gren Dissertation Fieldwork Grant[edit | edit source]
November 1, 2019 Deadline
Applied: (2X Cultural, 2X Archaeology)
Anyone have any insight into when we should hear if we're through to the second round? --> Last year, the first-round announcement was made on March 5 but it may be different this year. --> Two years ago they found out on 2/15!
Out of curiosity, what does it say for you all when you open up the WG application page? What is the last date edited for you? (Mine is Feb 9th). I am going crazy waiting for these results
- Mine says last edited on Jan 28th! Update: No email yet but I can see the review in the online portal (2/18, 9:59am). Declined :(
- Mine is Feb 10th Update: moved forward to second round (received email 2/18 and portal has been updated with brief reviewer comments)
- Received my email on Feb 18th near 6AM ET, moved to the second round despite a seemingly critical review (Cultural)
- Email on Feb 18 around 10:30 - advanced to second stage. One line positive review..
- Mine was recently edited on the WG site..... any one else? I know we cant gather that much information from this, but I keep checking the site obsessively anyway! ---- [Me too "Last edited: Mar 3 2020 11:21 AM" I check once a day for no good reason ---- edited to add I've again had activity, it now says last edited Mar 15. I know that checking is unhealthy but I can't stop]
- Anyone else have recent activity? I am also checking everyday. Trying to distract myself from Covid. Stay safe everyone!! --- Yes, I have some recent activity in the last couple of days. I also started a May application and I just got an email saying that they have disabled May 1 applications and will be sending out an update soon. I wonder what all this means...
- Oof... I think this means they will award from pending applications but not accept May 1 apps: http://blog.wennergren.org/2020/03/wenner-gren-coronavirus-guidance/
- Fellow Second-rounder. Recieved an email that they are going to 1) delay Round-2 decisions until August 2020, 2) fund an even smaller number of projects, likely those with non face-to-face methods. But they are also going to ask reviewers to "evaluate your proposals in light of the times in which you wrote them." This is (imo) contradictory and unfair. If they're evaluating them that way, why are they delaying it till 08/20? Couldn't they just have evaluated them, decided on funding, and delayed conferring the funding until its safe to do participant observation? ugh
- [This is deeply unfair--can we respond in some way? Also, how did you receive this email, was it after enquiring?
- (Edited to add I found it in my spam inbox. There's apparently a letter people are co-writing in response)]
- [original poster] got the email automatically without inquiring. It makes me feel comforted to know there's plans to co-write a letter, something has to be said. How can I become a part of it? Also, is someone deleting these messages? I restored them..
- Thanks for restoring them. If you go to twitter and search "WENNER-GREN GRANTEES & APPLICANTS: Based on the foundation's COVID-19 announcement, affected grad students are crafting a statement to discuss its implications and seek further information. If you are interested in collaborating, please DM me #anthrotwitter #anthropology" you can DM someone and they'll connect you.
Email today, 2/18 at 10:30am ET: advanced to the second round (cultural)
8/1 For those of us 2nd round applicants still waiting to hear back on Nov 2019 grants (which is still so astoundingly absurd), does anyone have any insight re when we will hear back?
8/3 Not until late August according to the webinar/email correspondences. :(
8/25 Astoundingly absurd process, but no information yet. The system keeps showing a new "last updated" time-stamp, but nothing more. This has been a profoundly immiserating experience.
8/25 Where are you seeing the "last updated" information? All I have is "submitted."
8/25 You have to click on the little "Preview" icon with an eye on it and then it shows the "last updated" time thing. I feel you! This is absolutely absurd... How can they have made us wait almost a year?
8/25 Oof okay thank you! My last updated date is the 17th, wish that helped me understand what might be going on. It does feel absurd! Hopefully it'll be over soon at least.
8/25 a ten month wait to hear back is absurd. Mine was last "updated" today 8/25. Hopefully we find out soon
8/26 Here's to hoping! Commiserating here makes me feel slightly better - my theory is that the updates are related to reviewer feedback, and that when they finish everyone's they'll release them. Though in all actuality I have no idea, lol.
8/26 mine says updated 8/25 too. In the webinar, they said late August so hopefully we're put out of this misery soon.
8/26 mine was updated again and next to "Status" it now says "Approved" (or did it always say that??) I know I should stop checking but I can't haha.
8/26 that seems like good news! Mine still says "submitted." Gonna be crushed if I don't get it, it's my third attempt!
8/27 any further updates for people?
8/27 Nope--except it says Approved under status and Submitted under completion. So confusing.
8/27 same - just says approved under status and it was updated last evening (EDT)
8/27 Nice y'all! That definitely seems like a good sign. I'm still stuck on last updated on the 17th and no "approved," so I'm thinking I might not get it. Are you both sociocultural?
8/27 Logged back in to find my rejection and comments. Reviews might be posted for everyone now!
8/27 yeah my approval and comments are up now -- "approved" seems to actually mean approved!
8/27 congratulations! I hope your research goes well!
8/27 can someone who was approved tell your overall score? Rejected at 2.33
8/27 -- eek, I thought 2.33 was a good score but don't know how this works. What are typical awardee scores?
8/27 - I also got rejected with a 2.33, and very little critcal feedback. I looked at a friends' from a past season and they got accepted with a 2.3.
8/27 got the approved email at 4:06PM EDT! Sociocultural here.
8/27 i was approved with 2.33 -- I must have just scraped through, it was clear from the reviews that one reviewer loved my project and another ... did not.
Winterthur Dissertation Fellowship[edit | edit source]
Woodrow Wilson Dissertation Fellowship in Women's Studies[edit | edit source]
1/17: rejection email. they received over 200 applications.
1/17: e-mailed notification of finalist status 2x
Yale ISS Smith Richardson Predoctoral Fellowship[edit | edit source]
The website for the ISS fellowships (including the Kissinger) still has last year's info, as does the application link. Anyone know if another link is available? 1/16
Some of the ISS info is replicated on the Grand Strategy site, but application window is closed, unclear whether it was ever open. 3/7