Back to History 2020-21
When posting new jobs:
- Please try to follow the format of existing posts
- Use the 'Preview' button to check for errors before hitting 'Publish';
- Include a link to the original advert in the heading.
- When posting new jobs, use Heading 2 for new categories, and Heading 3 for jobs.
- Add entries in alphabetical order. (Note that "University of X" should be alphabetized by U as first sort, and X as second sort within the U listings.)
- Our users come from all over the world - use unambiguous dating systems when posting.
- Please be aware of the T&C of the wiki relating to personal data when discussing candidates/job talks etc.
- If you are deleting information from the page use the 'Edit Summary' box to explain why you are doing so - this helps the mods tell the difference between page vandals and legitimate edits.
- 1 Recent Edits on Asian History Wiki (RSS Feed)
- 2 Mixed/Multiple/Open
- 3 China
- 4 East Asia
- 5 Japan
- 6 South Asia
- 7 South East Asia
Recent Edits on Asian History Wiki (RSS Feed)[edit | edit source]
<rss>http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/Asian_History_2020-21?feed=rss&action=history%7Ccharset=UTF-8%7Cshort%7Cdate%7C</rss>Subscribe to RSS feed for this page: http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/Asian_History_2020-21?feed=rss&action=history
Mixed/Multiple/Open[edit | edit source]
California State University, Fresno (USA:CA) - post-1600[edit | edit source]
- tenure-track assistant professor in Asian History, 1600-present.
- Specialists of any area (East Asia, Southeast Asia, South Asia) are invited to apply. Candidates with a comparative, transnational, trans-imperial, or oceanic studies focus are especially encouraged to apply.
- An earned doctorate (Ph.D.) in History by August 1, 2021, is required for an appointment to a tenure-track position.
- Teaching Load: 4/4 (typically reduced during the first two years of the appointment, with competitive course releases available after tha) The successful candidate will develop and offer undergraduate and graduate courses in their area of expertise as well as the department's World History surveys.
- Apply online at http://jobs.csufresno.edu/ and provide the following: cover letter, vitae, diversity statement, and complete the reference form with names and addresses for 3 references. We will contact them to submit a letter of reference. All finalists will receive a request to send official transcripts and a writing sample.
- Committee Information and Search process: Search Chair: Dr. Julia R. Shatz, Search Committee Chair, Department of History, College of Social Sciences Email: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
- For full consideration: 15 Nov. 2020 This position automatically closes May 1, 2021
Rice University (USA:TX)[edit | edit source]
- Two positions in Transnational Asian Studies, Assistant/Associate, Tenure-Track.
- Accepting applicants with degrees in humanities and social sciences (and related interdisciplinary fields), including history.
- Deadline: 1 December 2020.
- Tenure-track appointment in Asian history at the rank of assistant professor, to begin August 2021. Area of geographic specialization is open (East Asia, Southeast Asia, South Asia, transregional/transnational).
- PhD is required, either in history or in one of the innovative related interdisciplinary fields, as are strong language skills in their field of research.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate skills in and enthusiasm for teaching at a liberal arts college as well as strong scholarly potential in historical research. Candidates must have PhD in hand by August, 2021.
- Teaching duties consist of three courses per semester, major courses by specialty and introductory courses in East Asian history, some of which will contribute to the Core Curriculum. Ability to teach one or more courses in Chinese history is preferred.
- Interested candidates should submit an application letter that addresses teaching effectiveness and scholarly interests; a curriculum vitae that includes a list of references and courses taught; a scholarly writing sample; and a 1-2 page statement of teaching philosophy, as well as 3 letters of recommendation sent to Dr. Jennifer Hockenbery, Divisional Dean of Humanities, St. Norbert College, sent to email@example.com (Administrative Specialist, Humanities).
- For information on applying and to apply, visit the job posting (here) and use the "Apply Now" link.
- Deadline for applications is December 7, 2020.
- Tenure-track position at the Assistant Professor (tenure-track) rank in History. The successful applicant will either specialize in Southeast Asia, including Singapore, or study the connections between the region and other parts of Asia.
- Applicants should have a relevant PhD and be active researchers with a commitment to creative and effective undergraduate teaching and mentoring.
- Applications should consist of the following: a cover letter explaining why the position at Yale-NUS is of interest; a full curriculum vitae, including a complete list of publications; statements on research interests, teaching experience, and teaching philosophy, including how these might fit with the College’s particular mission and curriculum; three reference letters (to be submitted by the reference writers via https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/16698) and other relevant documents. Applications should be submitted via https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/16698.
- Review begins: 1 Nov. 2020 and continues until position filled
China[edit | edit source]
- Tenure track assistant professorship in Modern China with an emphasis on (but not limited to) Chinese diaspora in Southeast Asia, to begin 1 Jul 2021.
- The successful candidate will have a completed PhD degree, teaching experience, and a strong research agenda rooted in appropriate fields in modern Chinese history. The Department particularly invites applicants who demonstrate strong research accomplishments and substantial teaching experience in their track records. A proven ability to contribute effectively to teaching the regions of the applicant’s specialty, as well as broader history of Asia and World History, is also important. A competitive remuneration package, based on the qualifications and experience of the candidate, will be offered.
- Application dossiers should include a cover letter describing research interests, teaching experience, and an explanation on why the position at NUS is of interest; curriculum vitae; and a list of three academic referees and their contact information. In addition, candidates will need to submit a Personal Data Consent Form, which can be downloaded at this link: http://www.nus.edu.sg/careers/files/NUS-Personal-Data-Consent-for-Job-Applicants.pdf Please submit electronic application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Review begins: 8 Dec. 2020
University of British Columbia (CAN) 10th - 19thC[edit | edit source]
- Assistant or Associate Professor in the history of China between the tenth and nineteenth centuries, to begin 1 Jul. 2021
- preference for scholars focusing on China’s historical relationships with Inner Asia. We particularly welcome applications from scholars working in the Yuan or Qing periods.
- Applicants should have (relative to career stage and field) demonstrated or potential ability to: Publish research of exceptional quality and originality that complements or diversifies research strengths in the Department of History; Teach, mentor, and address the learning needs of a diverse undergraduate and graduate student population; Productively engage diverse scholarly and/or non-scholarly communities at UBC and beyond; Work effectively with sources in both modern and classical Chinese.
- Applicants should apply only through the History Department’s Internal Resources website at https://hist.air.arts.ubc.ca/ch-37760/ Applicants should upload (in the following order, collated into a single pdf file): A cover letter or letter of application; A curriculum vitae; A 300-500 word statement identifying the applicant’s experience relevant to working with a diverse student body, and contributions, or potential contributions, to advancing a culture of equity and inclusion within the university and beyond; Up to three article-length samples of scholarship (including published articles, unpublished papers, or book/dissertation chapters). Applicants should also provide names and contact information for three scholars willing to provide a letter of reference; we will request letters directly for candidates who advance in the search process.
- Applicants with questions about the position are welcome to contact the search chair, Dr. Timothy Brook at Tim.Brook@ubc.ca. This position is subject to final budgetary approval. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Review begins: 1 Sept. 2020 and continues until position filled.
- "Long shortlist" contacted [24 Sep]
- Any news about this search?
- I haven't heard anything. Though at this point, I'm assuming that's just bad news [10 Nov]
- Same here. Not a word. I find myself missing those days when people did bother sending a rejection letter/email [12 Nov]
- Not a single word, but it seems that campus visits have not been arranged (I am not sure though)[19 Nov]
- Any update since the zoom interview?
- Heard from a friend: campus visits finished.
- I wish they could spare one minute to send a rejection email. It's not that they need to keep a super long waiting list.
University of Toronto, St George Campus (CAN) - Pre-modern East Asia/China[edit | edit source]
- Full-time tenure stream Assistant Professorship in the area of Pre-modern East Asian cultural studies, with a focus on China, including the late imperial period, to begin 1 Jul. 2021
- Applicants must have earned a Ph.D. degree in East Asian Studies or a related discipline by the time of appointment, or shortly thereafter, with a demonstrated record of excellence in research and teaching
- We are especially interested in applicants whose work addresses wider Asian and/or global contexts. All applicants must be able to frame their work in terms of broader theoretical questions. The successful candidate will be expected to pursue innovative and independent research at the highest international level and to establish an outstanding, competitive, and externally funded research program.
- Applicants must submit a cover letter; a current curriculum vitae; a research statement outlining current and future research interests; a recent writing sample; and a teaching dossier to include a teaching statement, sample course materials, teaching evaluations, and other indicators of teaching accomplishment. Equity and diversity are essential to academic excellence. We seek candidates who value diversity and whose research, teaching and service bear out our commitment to equity. Candidates are therefore also asked to submit a 1‐2 page statement of contributions to equity and diversity, which might cover topics such as (but not limited to): research or teaching that incorporates a focus on underrepresented communities, the development of inclusive pedagogies, or the mentoring of students from underrepresented groups. Applicants must provide the names and contact information of at least three referees. The University of Toronto’s recruiting tool will automatically solicit and collect letters of reference from them once an application is submitted. Applicants, however, remain responsible for ensuring that the letters of reference (on letterhead, dated, and signed) are submitted by the closing date.
- Submission guidelines can be found at http://uoft.me/how-to-apply. We recommend combining attached documents into one or two files in PDF/MS Word format. If you have any questions about this position, please contact email@example.com.
- Deadline: 19 Nov. 2020 [including reference letters]
East Asia[edit | edit source]
- Tenure track assistant professorship in East Asian History, within a global context beginning September 1, 2021.
- The Department is a community of engaged teacher-scholars who teach a diverse array of courses from surveys to specialized seminars grounded in our research. We are searching for a teacher-scholar specialized in East Asian (China, Japan, or Korea) history, with a preferred focus on gender and sexuality or race. The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic and engaged teacher and a dedicated scholar, committed to their research. Reflecting the Department’s own increasing focus on global history, the candidate’s research and teaching interests should speak to global contexts, positioning their research within comparative, transregional perspectives. The position is open to scholars of any historical period, with a preference for candidates who would be able to offer courses on both the early and modern eras.
- PhD preferred, but ABD will be considered.
- The successful candidate will also be expected to teach HI 276, Patterns and Processes in World History.
- Please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, three confidential letters of recommendation, a representative sample of current scholarship, e.g., reprints of recently published work, and statements of teaching philosophy and research interests that demonstrates commitment to the value of diversity and to inclusive teaching via Interfolio at the following link http://apply.interfolio.com/81137.
- Review begins: 11 Jan. 2021 and continues until position filled
Nanyang Technological University (SGP) - [Senior Hire][edit | edit source]
- Full Professor of East Asian History
- The region and time period of specialisation is open. However, to complement the existing strengths of our programme, we especially seek applicants with interdisciplinary strengths in the history of science, technology, medicine, the environment or business. Historical approaches with transnational and global dimensions are also welcome. Candidates should possess a background and a distinguished track record of publications in East Asian Studies or East Asian History.
- Applicants are invited to submit their applications (cover letter, CV, research and teaching statements, and citation report) through the NTU career portal https://ntu.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/Careers/job/NTU-Main-Campus-Singapore/Full-Professor-of-East-Asian-History_R00004079
- Deadline: 31 Dec. 2020 Only shortlisted candidates will be notified
- Tenure track assistant professorship in East Asian History, to begin Fall 2021
- Chronological and geographical specializations are open, though we are especially interested in candidates with expertise in China and/or Japan, and whose research and teaching incorporate cross-cultural, transnational, and/or comparative approaches.
- We strongly prefer candidates with a Ph.D. in History, or closely related field, and proficiency in their relevant research language(s); ABD candidates may apply; however, the Ph.D. must be completed before the start of the appointment.
- Teaching responsibilities include courses in Asian history at the upper division and graduate levels, and a world history survey at the undergraduate level.
- To apply, upload to http://shsu.peopleadmin.com/postings/25334 a letter of application, addressed to Dr. Uzma Quraishi, Chair of the History of East Asia Search Committee; a curriculum vitae; unofficial graduate transcripts (official transcripts of all post-secondary education will be required of all finalists prior to on-campus interviews); a diversity and inclusion statement, specifically addressing your qualifications and strategy for engaging all students at SHSU; a writing sample of chapter length; two sample syllabi (one upper-division undergraduate course and one graduate course, both in the History of East Asia); and three letters of recommendation. If a candidate has not completed the doctorate, one letter must be from the candidate’s advisor, addressing the state of the dissertation.
- Review begins: 4 Jan. 2021 and continues until position filled.
Japan[edit | edit source]
International Christian University (JPN) - [Open Rank][edit | edit source]
- Open Rank full time faculty position in Modern Japanese History, to begin 1 Apr 2021 or 1 Sept 2021
- The successful applicant is expected to teach general education, foundation, and area major courses in the College of Liberal Arts, as well as courses in the Graduate School.
- Qualifications: 1. Ph.D. or equivalent in modern Japanese history or a related field is required; 2. Language of instruction: English (ability to supervise students in Japanese is desirable.); 3. Christian (of any denomination). In exceptional circumstances, a non-Christian who affirms ICU's Christian ideals and commits to realizing them may be considered.
- Deadline: 17:00 (JST) 30 Sept. 2020
South Asia[edit | edit source]
Ashoka University (IND) - Modern Indian[edit | edit source]
- Tenure-track Assistant Professorship in Modern Indian History, to begin Monsoon semester - August 2021
- PhD must be in hand by start date
- All materials should be submitted through: https://facultypositions.ashoka.edu.in/
- Deadline: 17 Oct. 2020