tis the season: don't forget about the Universities to Fear wiki http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/Universities_to_fear
African American Literature
Last Update: Feb 18, 4:30 pm EST Please change the date/time when you update the page.
Arcadia Due 11/1
- ack. snail mail 11/7
- scheduled MLA interview (12/10)
Bard No deadline (confirmed via email)
- Writing sample request 12/4
- MLA interview scheduled by email 12/09 (x2)
- campus interview list decided, note via email (02/03)
Bard College at Simon's Rock Due 11/1
- ack. 11/7 snail mail
- email requesting phone interview 12/13, 12/15
Bowdoin C. Due 12/8
- ack. and affirmative action forms via snail mail 11/24
- any word on this one...? 2/6
- they are interviewing candidates this week and next 2/18
Brown Due 11/1
- campus visits scheduled
Clark Due 11/1
- ack. email 11/4
MLA interview scheduled 12/10
College of Holy Cross Due 11/14
- rec'd email requesting writing sample (12/8). email said they had sent out earlier email, but i never got it. others may also be in this position, but at least they try again!
- Did anyone else hear from them??
College of Saint Rose Due 11/1
- Writing sample request via email 11/11 (x2)
- MLA interview 12/2 (x3)
On Campus visit scheduled 1/12
Columbia (race/lit) Due 10/31
- it looks like writing sample requests have been made. See under "Other Ethnic American"
Cornell Due 10/15
Ack. 10/22 Writing sample request via email 12/3 (x2) Is this a request for the initial ws that was req'd in the application or for one in addition to that? Additional.
- MLA interview scheduled by phone 12/13 (x2)
Does the short list include associates and full professors?
Davis Due 11/7
- Does anyone have info about their projected time frame? They're supposed to be interviewing at MLA, right?
- Interview Request over a week ago (I forget the exact date)
- I know of one MLA interview they conducted with an assoc. level person.
Florida Gulf Coast University Due 1/01/10
George Mason Due 11/3
- MLA interview via phone 12/13 (x2)
- Campus visit scheduled 12/31
Grand Valley Due 11/3
- MLA interview 12/2 (x2)
- They have already had several campus visits
Gustavus Adolphus Due 11/7
- ack. email 11/7
Hampshire Due 11/1
Hendrix Due 11/7
- MLA interview 12/8
any updates on this job? has it been suspended?
Hunter College, CUNY Due 11/7
- MLA interview requested via phone (12/20)
- Invitation for Campus Visit in February sometime (1/8)
- Would you mind sharing what week the campus visit is scheduled for? In my interview they mentioned they wouldn't be holding visits until February.
Johns Hopkins Due 11/1
- This search has been canceled (hiring freeze)--in email 11/7
- Search reopened 11/25 (via email)
- Any news?
- MLA interview requested 12/17 (via phone)
- Anyone else been asked for an interview?
- Finished their search (got email regarding this) early March
New York U Due 11/1
- Ack. 11/8
- Writing sample, dossier request 11/11 (x2)
- Anything else from NYU? We're talking about the Gallatin School, right?
- there's also some stuff on this position on ethnic studies- but sounds like everyone is waiting. i just emailed them this AM to find out what's going on with the search (12/18).
- was told that search committee recently completed its first round of interviews and is in the process of determining the finalists for this position. (12/18)
Northern Arizona University Due 10/15
Ack. 10/20 Phone interview 11/5 (x3)
Chancellor canceled this search 11/9
Rutgers Due 10/31
- Writing sample and dossier requested, 11/25
- Writing sample and dossier requested, 12/3
- Writing sample and dossier requested, 12/9
- MLA interview scheduled 12/16 (via phone)
- the calendar of events on the English dept website lists visits in February and March by people who appear to be the finalists for this job; see http://english.rutgers.edu/news_events/calendar/index.html
Smith Due 11/3
- writing sample and dossier request 11/17 via email
- writing sample and dossier request (11/25)
- dossier and writing sample requested via email (12/5)
- Inside email says job offered and accepted, 3/15
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Due 11/12 Anyone heard anything from SIUE?
- I sent in my stuff, but I never heard anything. (1/7)
SUNY Stony Brook Due 11/1
- This search has been canceled (hiring freeze)--in email 11/3.
UCSD Due 11/15
U of Chicago (up to three open positions) Due 11/3
U of Colorado (ethnic/afam) Due 10/24
- writing sample requested
U of Kentucky Review begins 11/15
- Acknowledgment via snail mail 12/1
U of Michigan Due 11/10
- MLA interview scheduled by phone 12/09
- kind rejection email 12/19
- rejection after MLA interview (no campus visit) 01/15
U of Missouri, Columbia Due 11/1
- Search canceled because of hiring freeze- very nice email 11/19
U Nebraska Due 11/2
- received e-mail notification that search has been "paused" for this year 1/27/2009
U North Carolina, Charlotte Due 10/15
- received request for more materials (11/7)
- Phone interview 11/19
- Rejection letter 1/06/09
UNC Wilmington (African American or Latino/a Lit) Due 11/1
- scheduled MLA interview via phone 11/26
U of Oregon Due 10/31
U of Oregon (open) Due 11/15
- MLA Interview 12/2 (x2)
- rejection letter via snail mail 12/26ish
U of South Carolina Due 10/31
- Search cancelled 11/20
U Tennessee Martin Due 11/1
- Writing sample, dossier request 11/12
MLA interview scheduled 12/4
U of Wisconsin, Madison Due 10/20
Writing sample requested (when?) WS requested 11/15 or so
- MLA interview scheduled 12/11 (x2)
Wesleyan Due 11/15
- MLA Interview 11/24 (x3)
- Rejection Letter (snail mail) 12/6 (x3)
- MLA Interview and they didn't bother to read the writing sample (the committee read my sample and asked questions about it)
Willamette Due 11/7
- Writing sample, dossier request 11/12 (x4)
- MLA Interview scheduled 12/5 (x2)
- Rejection e-mail (12/18)
- They have job talks listed on the dept calendar so I guess that's as good as a rejection letter.
- Real classy, Willamette! (2/6)